PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Bra Help

migalka
11-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I hope someone would be able to suggest a great supportinve bra for a large chested me. I was recently measured 38H. However, when trying on Anita bra in that size the band and the cup were too small.
Any advice good and reliable brands out there that will be able to house my breasts is GREATLY appreciated!!

Neatfreak
11-12-2008, 11:43 PM
I bought an Anita recently from Breakout Bras, and what totally helped to get one that fit the way I expected was to read the comments about the individual styles - some are known to run small in the cup, etc. There is another internet retailer (can't remember the name, but it's known for $1 shipping) that also has similar comments about individual bra styles. Anyway, I bought a lacy one, and it fits as described.

I am happy with the pair of Medela underwires that I have as well, and they come in bigger sizes. They are just more industrial looking (actually, they come up pretty high so I can't wear some of my v-necks with them) than the Anita styles, though.

lowrioh
11-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Do you have a Nordstroms nearby? If you do, I would highly recommend going there and getting fitted for a bra. Just try things on, you don't have to buy it there if you don't want too. I have an Anita bra (38G) and I think that the cups do run a little small because her first measurement put me at a DDD cup. After trying them on though, it was clear the G was the better fit.
Before I bought this one, I balked at the idea of spending $70 on a bra but I have worn it EVERY DAY since then. Worth every cent.

ThreeofUs
11-13-2008, 02:31 AM
My hospital has a women's center/lactation center, at which they sell Bravado, Medela, and other good bf'ing supplies. Check and see if there's one in your area.

I agree with Lowri. Spend the money. It's not worth the constant frustration and pain to buy a bra that doesn't fit well. I bought two.

And, btw, I was fairly large to begin with, but now (with my milk in and established) the medela sleep bra I bought is now a support bra! Definitely buy a little big rather than a little small.

migalka
11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Thank you for all your replies. I'm not affraid to spend the money on this very important piece of wardrobe, its just I can't find aplace to buy them from. I don't have Nordstroms near by, but I will definately check at the lactation center in the hospital.
If you gals can think of any other websites I could check, let me know please.

maylips
11-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Visit herroom.com - I bought nursing bras there since Nordstrom wasn't close to me. They have reviews and lots of nursing bras.

That other site with the $1 shipping is also good (I can't remember the name of it but if you do some searching on this site, you can find it) but they rarely had my size or the brand I wanted in stock. If you find it and want to order from there, give them a call - once I ordered and waited and waited - finally called and it was out of stock and they never told me.

And yes, spend the money! Best investment I ever made, especially since I mentally felt ugly during that time. At least the girls had the support they needed.

wendibird22
11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I had great luck with Birth And Baby (http://birthandbaby.com/). They have a great size calculator, a very detailed description of the fit of each bra (when to order up/down a size/cup), and $1 shipping. Can't speak of them highly enough.

Neatfreak
11-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I had great luck with Birth And Baby (http://birthandbaby.com/). They have a great size calculator, a very detailed description of the fit of each bra (when to order up/down a size/cup), and $1 shipping. Can't speak of them highly enough.

Yeah, that's the shop I was trying to remember the name of!

maylips
11-16-2008, 03:45 PM

Me too! Only they were the ones that didn't ever have the bra I wanted in stock....but they were very nice on the phone.

salsah
11-16-2008, 07:18 PM
while nursing, i was a 36H and the only bra that worked for me was the Bravado Supreme Nursing Bra. i also used (and loved) the Bravado Original Nursing Bra (Double Plus) as a sleep bra. i tried the anita bra that everyone recommended but it just did not give me the support that i needed.

if you haven't already, call the hospitals in your area to see if any of them have lactation consultants and a store that sells nursing bras. not only are lactation consultants better at fitting than the nordstrom associates, they carry a better selection of nursing bras than nordstrom (at least in my experience).

hth