PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of toys

kimberley-k
11-13-2008, 12:38 AM
We have accumulated way too many toys for my almost-5-year-old. He gets out a lot of things, but doesn't play with much, and then is too overwhelmed to be much help at cleanup time. I realize I am procrastinating about sorting through them because I'm afraid he'll ask for a missing toy later and throw a fit when he finds out I got rid of it. At what age do you start involving your kids in this process? I just know if I tell him we need to get ride of some toys, he will insist that he still needs everything and throw a fit if I force the issue.

In the past I've tried the "there are poor kids who need toys, we should share with them" route, but he didn't go for it. He is very stubborn!

Any advice would be appreciated!

-Kim

s7714
11-13-2008, 12:58 AM
My DDs at 3 and 5 years will willingly offer up toys to be donated if we tell them it's time to get rid of some. The only thing I've noticed though is that they'll give me things they constantly play with and say "oh I don't play with this anymore!" So while they want to be involved I don't think they've fully grasped the concept.

I honestly still just weed through toys when they're not around. Usually my process is to box up the toys I'm contemplating donating and then move them out of sight to the garage for a month or two. If neither DD has noticed or asked about any of the boxed up items, I go ahead and donate them. If they start asking where something went then I magically *find* it at night and let them keep it a while longer. I never pull things for donation while they're watching because whatever I suggest suddenly becomes their favorite toy in the world. ;)

Wife_and_mommy
11-13-2008, 01:07 AM
I do it mostly out of sight too. DD does enjoy choosing toys(and clothes) to donate to "the kids who have none" but it's easier to do without the kids involved.

I've been doing a lot of culling in prep for Xmas and DD saw me about to donate a miniature doll house. She wanted to use it "to put things" so it's staying for a while longer.

I think I'd have him choose at least a toy or two to donate as a lesson. It need not be punitive but more as a lesson in thankfulness/gratitude for all he has.

Have fun. I love ridding us of the extraneous toys!:boogie:

Fairy
11-13-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm having quite the problem, too. DS will not part with a single thing. I have things in the livingroom (DS's playroom now, really) he hasn't played with in a year, easy. I've tried all the same arguments I'm sure you did. No can do. So, I've been sneaking it out slowly and moving it to the closet where the "baby toys" are. However, he raids that closet here andthere, so twice nowhe's found things I snuck out and was upset. HE's gonan be a hoarder, I can tell. But if I can get it out of sight, truly, then it will be out of mind.

gatorsmom
11-13-2008, 02:20 AM
When your son is busy with something else, go through the toys he hasn't played with for awhile and put them in some bins or paper bags. Put the date you sorted them on the bags. If after 6 months he hasn't asked for them he won't. Out of sight, out of mind. Then drop them off at Goodwill. DO NOT put them in a garage sale at your house because if he sees them, he's going to want them.

I've been doing this for the past couple of years with our unwanted toys. It's been working like a dream.

Wife_and_mommy
11-13-2008, 08:41 AM
When your son is busy with something else, go through the toys he hasn't played with for awhile and put them in some bins or paper bags. Put the date you sorted them on the bags. If after 6 months he hasn't asked for them he won't. Out of sight, out of mind. Then drop them off at Goodwill. DO NOT put them in a garage sale at your house because if he sees them, he's going to want them.

I've been doing this for the past couple of years with our unwanted toys. It's been working like a dream.

6 months! I'd never get rid of anything if I had to hide it for that long. :ROTFLMAO: If I decide it's going, it's pretty much gone within a day or two. I have had a crib bedding set in the garage for a few months because I can't find something good to do with it....I should just donate it but I'm nostalgic about it. I should be as tough with myself as I am the toys!

OP, another idea is to take the clean toys to a consignment store. The one I use splits 50/50 with me. I've made lots of $$ in the last year since I started doing this. I held onto things before then.

Corie
11-13-2008, 10:01 AM
6 months! I'd never get rid of anything if I had to hide it for that long. :ROTFLMAO: If I decide it's going, it's pretty much gone within a day or two.

I was thinking the same thing! I've got toys boxed up and
in my car and the next car they are dropped off at the Salvation Army.

My 4 yr. old son and 6 yr. old daughter help me with the process.
Every 6 months or so, we'll do a clean-out. We go through their
bedrooms and the basement. (The basement is basically their
toyroom.) I don't ask for alot to go but they usually each give
me a few toys.

They see me cleaning out my own stuff too so maybe that helps!
They know that it's a family thing and not just them.

HIU8
11-13-2008, 01:45 PM
DS is 4 and we have told him that we are donating some toys that neither he nor DD plays with (things I know DD will not play with). We basically said that he needed to pick 10 items to donate. The alternative was that he would not be able to get any new toys for his birthday or Hanukkah this year. So far it's working.