PDA

View Full Version : How would you approach dc's teacher about setting up volunteer time in this case

JustMe
11-13-2008, 01:15 AM
My work hours will be reduced from 30-40 hrs/wk in the near future. I would like to volunteer in dd's Kindergarten class, but am not sure how long of a period of time I would like to volunteer for or how often. I am thinking maybe 1-2 hrs once a week or every other week. I mainly want to get some feel for what things are like in the classroom (I am considering changing dd's school next year) be a presence for dd who would enjoy this, get a little more of a relationship with the teacher, and help out in some way. I really don't think I would consider doing more than these 2 options, at least when I start out. The school does ask for volunteers at the beginning of the year, and is currently doing a research project on how to increase parent involvement, so I know the teacher will have to be open to having me there.

Some specific questions I have are:

Should I just tell the teacher some times that would work for me or ask what times she needs help (my hours from work are not set yet, but they will not be completely flexible)?

How many hours/how often would you recommend?

How should I set up things in case I just feel like it is not working for me to volunteer (either b/c I just hate it for some reason...am not feeling like it is the best use of my time...if I volunteer less or not at all I have more afterschool time with dd, etc).

Any feedback is welcome!

thanks!

nfowife
11-13-2008, 01:35 AM
I would figure out a few options of when you would like to volunteer and send the teacher an email, note, or phone call saying that your work hours have recently decreased and you would love to volunteer in the classroom and help in any way possible, here are the times you have available, and please let me know which of these would work best for you to utilize me in the classroom. I think 1-2 hours once a week is perfect. When I taught I used to have parents in my room each morning during centers to keep the peace so I could work with small groups and it worked out well.

lisams
11-13-2008, 02:04 AM
I would figure out a few options of when you would like to volunteer and send the teacher an email, note, or phone call saying that your work hours have recently decreased and you would love to volunteer in the classroom and help in any way possible, here are the times you have available, and please let me know which of these would work best for you to utilize me in the classroom. I think 1-2 hours once a week is perfect. When I taught I used to have parents in my room each morning during centers to keep the peace so I could work with small groups and it worked out well.

Exactly that! I'm sure the teacher will really appreciate and help you can offer!

WatchingThemGrow
11-13-2008, 07:30 AM
I always had need of parents to be in the reading center with the K students. Not sure if it was the best time for them, but it was the best time for someone to pop in for an hour and volunteer with no instruction and maximum helpfulness for the students.

kedss
11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
i would talk to her face to face, let her know your situation, and see what her suggestions are, it may be that she may need more help with things you can do outside the classroom. Maybe see if you can sit in during a time when it is good for her schedule, and go from there.

caleymama
11-13-2008, 10:09 AM

I agree with this as well. Last year DD's K teacher did the same thing - asked for a parent in the classroom during morning centers so she could work with small groups. I went in one AM and DH had a weekday off and was able to go a different AM. We were there for approx an hour and 15 minutes. Usually we worked with the kids on various their various centers but occasionally it stuff like disassembling bulletin boards or copying/collating/cutting papers. The parent usually stuck around for 5-10 minutes after the teacher had taken the kids to lunch to do stuff like wipe down the tables & surfaces with Lysol wipes or to finish a project or set up for an afternoon activity.

Good luck getting an arrangement worked out! I'm so glad we had the opportunity to help out.

KBecks
11-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, I think it's a given that sometimes volunteers don't work out, so it's OK down the road if things change. But, I think you should consider if this is something you really want to do because you sound on the fence about it, and it's not quite right to go in halfhearted. If you are sure this is what you want and think it will work well, then go for it.

I agree with others who have said you should let her know your work hours are being reduced and you would like to volunteer, and also I agree that you should have this conversation in person, if you can catch your teacher for a few minutes at the beginning or the end of the day. Then follow up with the scheduling details once you have more info about your work.