PDA

View Full Version : What should I serve for this informal first-birthday playdate?

gatorsmom
11-13-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm so tired lately. And the twins' first birthday is this Friday. I've invited a friend who has a baby the twins' age and an older son for my boys to play with. That will make 6 kids and 2 moms. Sounds like a birthday playdate to me!!

Honestly, I"m too tired to think. What would you serve for food? I guess I should serve lunch since I"m having this at 10am and that's fine. It really needs to be something easy and small-kid friendly, though.

Also, I was thinking about making some cupcakes and decorating them with the number 1 on them and sprinkle frosting. Not special enough for a first birthday? I don't have time to make a special cake but I could buy one. What do you think?

The sad thing is, with my first 2 children I really went all out for their first birthday celebrations. But with the holidays approaching and us leaving to spend 10 days with the inlaws in Texas, I have packing, shopping, wrapping and a million other things to do.

Any ideas or advice is appreciated. I'll be going shopping tomorrow for the stuff I need.

bubbaray
11-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Cupcakes with the #1 -- sounds perfect to me. Have some coffee & tea for the moms, some milk for the kids and you're good to go. ETA: I wouldn't expect lunch for a 10am playdate. I would expect to leave before noon.

Don't sweat it. And, have a cupcake for me! ;)

BTW, you have four small children. Its OK to be tired. I think YOU deserve a party -- at the salon!

Tondi G
11-13-2008, 01:37 AM
I would probably just get some cold cuts... turkey, ham, cheese and maybe some rolls or your choice of bread and make up a little platter. The kids can build their own sandwiches and your little ones could eat some sliced turkey meat, some cheese. You could make or buy some potato salad or pasta salad... both things the babies could eat too. Fruit salad always goes over well with kids too... strawberry, blueberry, cantalope, honeydew, watermelon.

I'd probably have some munchies on hand too... goldfish crackers maybe or Annie's cheddar bunnies or some pretzels maybe?

If you are not into eating that healthy you could make it easy on yourself and pick up some fried chicken from the grocery store! My kids always love fried chicken at parties.

WatchingThemGrow
11-13-2008, 07:41 AM
My one year old is living on cans of green beans. Seems an unlike suggestion, but if all the kids like them. Happy one year to YOU! We're proud of you, Lisa!

nfowife
11-13-2008, 08:13 AM
I would do lunch, might just be me, but they probably won't leave until around noon, and then to go home to do lunch with naptime might be an issue. And you don't want to make your kids lunch with them there and not serve them, kwim? I usually would make a big cheese bread (store bought pizza dough, then just put a bunch of mozz cheese and italian seasoning on top, kids like it and so do adults), bowl of fruit salad, couple bowls of kid friendly snacks like crackers, pretzel sticks, etc. And then cupcakes would be great! Add some water, juice, and a mommy drink (iced tea or coffee) and I think you are set.

maestramommy
11-13-2008, 08:16 AM
The cupcakes sound great! You could frost them, but leave off the 1s if that's too much work (looking for them). And a simple lunch that kids will eat but will be good for the other mom. Truth be told, if I were having a playdate with another mom, I'd have "good" food for us, and regular food for the kids, because kids tend to like what they like, yknow?

As for comparing with the first two kids, I think it's pretty darned awesome you're doing a birthday part for the twins, esp. since it sounds like you're on your own for this one. I gather you're not having a family party or anything? So do what works for you:thumbsup:

bnme
11-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Cupcakes sound great. ANd the '1' is special and will be very cute in the photos. I wouln't expect food at a playdate. But having coffee and maybe fresh fruit available would be a nice touch.

Have fun!

JTsMom
11-13-2008, 09:06 AM
I think the cupcakes sound very cute- especially b/c that way they each have their own, but you won't have a huge pile of cake leftover.

I like the coldcuts and fruit ideas. You might as well pick something up and keep it as low stress as possible on yourself. Couple other ideas- rotissiere (sp?) chicken and some sides, pasta from an Italian place- even pizza.

If you want to make it more party-ish for the sake of pics, just pick up some balloons at the party store, and buy the twins some cute party hats or something.

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2008, 09:50 AM
At 10 I would not expect lunch. Maybe you could pick up some bagels or muffins? Fruit and drinks would complete snacks/ food.

For a cake or cupcakes? I think your "1" cupcakes sound great!

It'll be a great party! :) Happy 1st birthday, little ones!

Beth

gatorsmom
11-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the support and good ideas! I called the other mom and offered to have them stay for lunch. For lunch for the kids I'm doing the 'build a sandwich," with some tiny pasta rings (the babies will like that especially) and fruit salad. For the parents I'm doing the sandwiches (with some crusty bread) with potato salad or pasta salad (store bought from a nice deli) for lunch. I'll have the older boys help me make the cupcakes this afternoon and I'll blow up balloons when they are all in bed tonight.

We were going to have a family thing but they just can't make it anytime before we leave for Texas. And I REALLY am on my own this week since DH is on his business trip all week. I do get help during the day but the nights are terrible. The sleep deprivation this week is crippling. I'm rambling.

thank you guys, for the great suggestions and support. I just can't believe the twins are one year old already!

Melaine
11-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Lisa sounds like you've got everything all set! I just wanted to say, I think it's FINE to go with simple and sweet, ie fingerfood vs. sitdown meal, cupcakes vs. cake/ice cream, balloons vs. "bounce house". If I've learned one thing from having twins it's enjoy as much as you can and cut out the stress from every possible direction! Just try to leave the guilt behind you and remember that your kids will be the happiest when you are calm and at peace! Next year, if you want to have a bigger party that's fine. We had a small family party for the girls on their first birthday and a bigger group outing party this year and I think they enjoyed both equally. It does get easier....I will say that things have been improving stress-wise and sleep-wise since the girls turned one....hang in there!

Tondi G
11-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the support and good ideas! I called the other mom and offered to have them stay for lunch. For lunch for the kids I'm doing the 'build a sandwich," with some tiny pasta rings (the babies will like that especially) and fruit salad. For the parents I'm doing the sandwiches (with some crusty bread) with potato salad or pasta salad (store bought from a nice deli) for lunch. I'll have the older boys help me make the cupcakes this afternoon and I'll blow up balloons when they are all in bed tonight.

We were going to have a family thing but they just can't make it anytime before we leave for Texas. And I REALLY am on my own this week since DH is on his business trip all week. I do get help during the day but the nights are terrible. The sleep deprivation this week is crippling. I'm rambling.

thank you guys, for the great suggestions and support. I just can't believe the twins are one year old already!

Sounds perfect!!!! I'm sorry you are so sleep deprived and I can't believe your little ones are ONE! WOW... I remember you announcing your pregnancy and it seems like it was not that long ago!

Happy 1 year mama... you've done great!!!!!

LarsMal
11-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Sounds like you've got it under control! Just wanted to say Happy Birthday to the little ones. I cannot believe they are 1 already- where did the year go?

I feel like you were just posting about your fall in the restaurant before they were born (why I remember these things, I don't know! Can't remember what I wore yesterday, but those things, I remember!!)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

jerigirl
11-13-2008, 03:18 PM

This plan sounds perfect! congratulations on your first year with 4 kiddos! You are amazing!

elephantmeg
11-13-2008, 03:23 PM
sounds perfect, and happy birthday sisi and green bean!!!!!!!!!!!