PDA

View Full Version : Oh goodness...7 wk old with diarrhea

Clarity
11-13-2008, 12:05 PM
My little dd has been going and going and going this morning. I'm wondering if it might be because I started the two pill sequence of a z-pack last night? I know the side effects are diarrhea and she's bf. I'm actually hoping this is the reason and not that she's getting sick.
Of course, I also got the Tdap vax at my ob yesterday. It said it was safe while breastfeeding but perhaps it could cause this type of reaction? My ped's office is closed till Monday so at the moment I'm just bf her as much as possible and keeping an eye on how many poopy diapers she's having. I'll call the on-call dr. if the diarrhea continues.

Lovingliv
11-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Hugs Mama!

I would call the on-call doc ASAP!!!! Diarrhea is very dangerous in a newborn.
She can get dehydrated super fast.......

JBaxter
11-13-2008, 01:09 PM
I didnt think it was recommened you get immunizations while on antibiotics. I avoid any thing like that esp while sick pregnant or breast feeding. She and you many need some probiotics. You need to call her ped ASAP and tell them what you did to see if they find a connection. Newborns can become dehydrated VERY quickly.

Clarity
11-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Well, h#ll. I got the vax first from my ob...then called my pcp b/c I've been coughing so much. Saw him..forgot to mention the earlier Vax and he prescribed a zpak. Gosh...was that stupid of me or what?

I did call the ped and let them know she's had diarrhea today. Thought it was funny that the girl asked "are her bm's loose and runny?" Umm..she's bfed. ALL her poops are loose and runny. The dr.'s office called back and said keep doing what I'm doing and watch for dehydration and that I could add plain pedialyte if necessary. They didn't however, really answer my question about whether or not the zithromax could be the cause. DD does not have a fever at all though, so I'm thinking that could be it.

ThreeofUs
11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
EEK!

Oh, what a bummer, Amy. You poor thing! Now I see your latest post. The combo's probably it.

Good luck to you and DD - and I'll add, even though you already know, keep a really close watch on DD. These things go really fast - don't be afraid to run to the emergency room if your gut sensors go off.

Clarity
11-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Hmm..no..I think it's okay. Found this at the CDC:

There=s no evidence that acute
illness reduces vaccine efficacy or increases vaccine adverse
events. But with moderate or severe acute illness, vaccines
should be delayed until the illness has improved. This avoids
confusing a symptom of the illness - such as fever - with a
vaccine adverse event, or vice versa. Mild illnesses, such as
otitis media or an upper respiratory infection, are NOT
contraindications to vaccination. Nor is taking antibiotics a
reason to withhold a vaccine in a person who is otherwise not
very sick.

Clarity
11-13-2008, 01:55 PM
I'll be keeping a close eye! This will be made so much easier by the fact that she won't let me put her down. LOL Thanks...and sending you a p.m.

elephantmeg
11-13-2008, 03:30 PM
keep an eye on wet diaper counts, feed as often as possible, drink a ton of water yourself. Also look for other signs of dehydration in a newborn: sunken fontanelle, sticky mouth (not wet), sleeping a ton...

misshollygolightly
11-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm on a z-pack now and also have noticed my 4 month old EBF DS has strange stools (diarrhea is a side effect of the z-pack according to the package). I'm not worried, BUT diarrhea in a 7 week old would be a concern for me--I'd call the pediatrician before the weekend, IMO. Hope you both feel better!