PDA

View Full Version : If you read "The China Study" -- impact?

hillview
11-13-2008, 12:53 PM
I am just through the first couple of chapters of "The China Study" and now wondering what impact it should have on our diet at home. We don't eat a lot of meat but do eat protein (cheesse, eggs etc). Thoughts?
/hillary

ohiomom
11-13-2008, 01:50 PM
It made a huge impression on me when I read it a few months ago. Problem is DH is very carb sensitive/insulin resistent. Therefore, I personally have reduced my protein intake, but not to levels of book and inertia has set in. I'd love to hear more of what you think as you get further along in the book.

brittone2
11-13-2008, 03:07 PM
nak-

I liked this critique.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/obesity/another-china-study/

Obviously Dr. Eades has his own bias (and I happen to agree with him) but his critique was very insightful.

KBecks
11-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks for mentioning the book..... I realize I have bought several nutrition books and I'm not a good nutrition book reader. I did make it through the Zone diet (which emphasizes balance between proteins, carbs and fats overall, and thought that was a good one, but I'm pleased to know about this book.

jennifer_r
11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I've had the book on my shelf for a couple of years now - my SIL gave it to me to read and it really freaked her out; I guess you could say it's the reason I won't read it - I'm afraid that if I read it, I'll be afraid of eating practically anything. By the way, there is very little that I don't eat, however, I eat very little meat (I buy chicken maybe once a month and will eat anything anyone serves me as a guest and at restaurants, I definitely order meat if it's something that looks really good) and most of our homecooked meals are either vegetarian or have seafood in them.

My SIL was a fairly large meat eater and after she read the book, she became a vegan (though she totally cheats when it comes to dessert).

My philosophy is that everything in moderation. But, then, I haven't read the book yet.