PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else REALLY DISLIKING Sirius 116 Kidstuff/Kid Place Live's new format??

SASM
11-13-2008, 04:10 PM
OMG...YUCK!!!!! What happened to Kidstuff and all of their familiar songs??? My 3.5 yo DD has been soooo upset over this new live format. I do not blame her! All we've been hearing is conversations with "characters" that we cannot understand and interviews with people way over my kids' heads. :( What happened to the music??? We are in the car a lot and I would not be surprised if 85% of our time is spent listening to conversation!!! What KID wants to hear that?? That is why they they complain whenever I have the radio tuned to news. :( And...as for the music...I have only heard two songs that are familiar to my kids. DD LOVES to sing along to the familiar songs...where are they??? Yesterday afternoon I was listening and only heard one young children's song...a Wiggles song that was mixed and sped up to sound Alvin and the Chipmunk-like. :( This AM I was listening in the hopes that it would improve this AM but in the short amount of time that I was listening an inaudible chipmunk thing said "STUPID" (the one word that I could actually understand) and an advertisement said "HECK". Uh...HELLO...I do not let my kids watch older kid shows for this reason!! This is station is supposed to be for young kids, right?? UGH!!!!

I waited 30 minutes yesterday to lodge a complaint on the phone. They took the comments but suggested that I email them, too. So I am off to email my complaint.

If anyone else is annoyed, please email Sirius (or XM, as this is a joint channel between the two satellite radio providers) at the link below:
http://www.sirius.com/customercare

Thanks for the vent and, if you do so, thanks for emailing a complaint. :)

trentsmom
11-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I had XM before, so I'm really liking 116! It used to be that the only time we got to hear little kid music was on Playhouse Disney, and that was only M-F from 12-1. I guess I haven't been in the car when they've had the conversations. I've only heard music so far - Dan Zanes, Wiggles, Salteens, Trout Fishing in America.

sidmand
11-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I just e-mailed them too. I didn't even realize until today that the stations had changed (thought someone was just playing with them in the car!). But we listened to Kid Stuff most of the day in the house on the DISH and now it's gone. I really really don't want to listen to Laurie Berkner ALL DAY long no matter how much I like her.

lmwbasye
11-13-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't like it either. The other day there was an entire like 30 minutes segment with Tim McGraw (whom I love, but my kids don't)...I couldn't believe it. How crappy!

SASM
11-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I guess I haven't been in the car when they've had the conversations. I've only heard music so far - Dan Zanes, Wiggles, Salteens, Trout Fishing in America.

When are you in the car??? I am in my car off and on in the AM from 7:30 to 1:00pm and then sporadically (sp?) in the afternoon and evening. I haven't heard any of those groups. :( ALL I am hearing is conversation. :( In the AMs they have had some freaky-sounding chipmunk in a can and a Larry the Cable Guy-like skunk. This AM I was listening to this skunk character go on and on for OVER FIVE MINUTES about how excited he was that a child thought that his scent was wonderful!! How entertaining is this ~ or educational? I would have normally turned this off in 5 seconds but wanted to know how long this would last...OMG...I had to cave and turn the station to Radio Disney. UNCLE!!!

SASM
11-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I just e-mailed them too. I didn't even realize until today that the stations had changed (thought someone was just playing with them in the car!). But we listened to Kid Stuff most of the day in the house on the DISH and now it's gone. I really really don't want to listen to Laurie Berkner ALL DAY long no matter how much I like her.

Ohhhh...I am sooooo glad that you emailed them! I believe the switch was yesterday b/c it was still Kidstuff when we were in the car on Tuesday. I didn't mind the overplaying of Laurie Berkner on Kidstuff (it seemed that every 4th song was LB) but are they having conversations with her now? The frustrating thing is that if I pop in in the middle of an interview/conversation, it is LONG and it either takes a while until I am understanding what I conversation is about (let alone my kids who are supposedly the demographic) or takes a while until the ONE song is played in the middle before the rest of the interview could commence. UGH!!! My kids miss the repetitive songs, as do I ~ at least we heard music. I'd rather hear that than a whole bunch of crappy conversation.

SASM
11-13-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't like it either. The other day there was an entire like 30 minutes segment with Tim McGraw (whom I love, but my kids don't)...I couldn't believe it. How crappy!

That's what I mean...what young child is going to want to hear a 30-min interview with an occasional song thrown in. :( Although, that interview would satisfy my need for E! They took off E! Entertainment radio, the station that I listened to when the kids were not in the car. :( It was my only opportunity for entertainment news. :)

fortato
11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
I love the new format!!! Kids Stuff played too much Wiggles/Dan Zanes/Laurie Berkner, I'm happy for the change.
We have DirectTv in the house, and I have Sirius in the car- so I got to compare the Children's channels, and XMKids is so much better for the variety they play...hopefully you'll like it soon.
It still beats Radio Disney.

sidmand
11-13-2008, 05:58 PM
My bad...I was a bit confusing. We've been listening to a Laurie Berkner CD that DS calls "Laurieberknertoymuseum" every single time we get in the car if we're not listening to Kid Stuff. I like her, but I'm getting a little tired of that CD!!! I forgot the real name, but it has the song about the Toy Museum on it and that's why he calls it that.

I didn't mind "Septem-Berkner"...most of our CDs have the same repetition (Wiggles, Backyardigans, Laurie Berkner, Debi Derryberry) and I don't mind the repetition on the radio at all. I've tried to throw in Trout Fishing (The Window is one of MY favorites songs of all time) but DS'll only listen to it on the radio.

SASM
11-13-2008, 06:33 PM
I love the new format!!! Kids Stuff played too much Wiggles/Dan Zanes/Laurie Berkner, I'm happy for the change.
We have DirectTv in the house, and I have Sirius in the car- so I got to compare the Children's channels, and XMKids is so much better for the variety they play...hopefully you'll like it soon.
It still beats Radio Disney.

Gosh...I hope so, or better yet, my kids! :) My DD keeps saying that she doesn't like this or she doesn't like that, in regards to the talking and freaky characters. You really do not mind all of the talking and bizarre characters?

SASM
11-13-2008, 06:42 PM
My bad...I was a bit confusing. We've been listening to a Laurie Berkner CD that DS calls "Laurieberknertoymuseum" every single time we get in the car if we're not listening to Kid Stuff. I like her, but I'm getting a little tired of that CD!!! I forgot the real name, but it has the song about the Toy Museum on it and that's why he calls it that.

I didn't mind "Septem-Berkner"...most of our CDs have the same repetition (Wiggles, Backyardigans, Laurie Berkner, Debi Derryberry) and I don't mind the repetition on the radio at all. I've tried to throw in Trout Fishing (The Window is one of MY favorites songs of all time) but DS'll only listen to it on the radio.

We do not mind the repetition, either, b/c it actually allows my young kids to get familiar enough with the songs to be able to sing to them. Although, at the beginning of Sept I didn't mind Sept-Berkner but towrds the end...OMG!! But I'll still take that anyday over this format. DD keeps asking when Backyardigans and Kidz Bop Kids "You can't Go Home" is going to come on. I haven't heard LB, Debi Berryberyy (which is sooo anoying but DD loves her), or any of the others ~ I've heard Peter Gabriel and Paul Simon instead?? I miss the Trout stuff ~ they are so entertaining. Ohh...I did hear Fast Monkey today! :)

ilfaith
11-13-2008, 07:10 PM
My kids and I have been fans of the XM Kids Animal Farm for quite some time. Some of the animal shtick is funnier than others. The boys like Lorenzo Llama and Bear E. White. Some of the humor does go over the kids heads, but that's what makes it palatable to their parents.

I think a good variety of music is played...although I sometimes prefer the days Kenny Curtis is on vacation and we get pre-recorded shows...just because the kids who call in with requests tend to select the same songs day after day (I'd be perfectly happy never to hear "Speed Racer" or "Crazy Frog" again).

Today in the car we heard selections from the Asylum Street Spankers, Trout Fishing In America, Ralph's World (the clever Folsum Daycare Blues) among others. And I was in a good mood all day because I heard my favorite... "Starfish and Coffee" by Matt Nathanson.

Fairy
11-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Haven't heard the new one yet, but have never ever been a fan of the bits. We like the ones playing just the music (yeah, even the heavy rotation). Wish they'd just stick with the music. This is a good heads up. Thanks.

MartiesMom2B
11-13-2008, 10:41 PM
We listen to more Radio Disney than XM kids. But when we do I think Kenny Curtis is funny (especially when they sing his song and the girl says "Mister what happened to your hair?) and the Absolutely Mindy show.

I will say that I'm a little annoyed by this whole merger bit.

fortato
11-13-2008, 11:28 PM
We listen to more Radio Disney than XM kids. But when we do I think Kenny Curtis is funny (especially when they sing his song and the girl says "Mister what happened to your hair?) and the Absolutely Mindy show.

I will say that I'm a little annoyed by this whole merger bit.

I do LOVE the Absolutely Mindy show! And Kenny Curtis is pretty funny. I LOVE Forrest Skunk ..."Stinky is as Stinky Does!" Jack doesn't really care about the break in music, he's just glad it's not Mommy's music.

TonFirst
11-13-2008, 11:37 PM
I love XM Kids, ESPECIALLY Robbie Shaffer's show. I've been an Eddie From Ohio fan for many years, and I have been introduced to some great kids' music through that station. The only thing that bugs me is when they play the Disney schlock - if I wanted to listen to that, I'd listen to Radio Disney. Bah.

Animal Farm is pretty funny once you get used to it. But - I can't stand that Shushybye stuff that they played mid-day every day. Oh gosh, is it ever terrible.

Oh - and we also found some great storytellers, like Bill Harley, through that station, and that's also how Adam became hooked on Peter and the Wolf.

Dr.Dad
01-25-2009, 06:01 PM
My children do not like the new Kids Place Live format. My children say there is too much talk, and they ask why don't they play kids music?

Very valid question!

Kids Place Live emulates Radio Disney far too much- so we're back to loading the CD changer with CDs and we're probably not going to renew our three Sirius subscriptions.

-Dr. Dad