PDA

View Full Version : Why are kids so obsessed with eating cheese?

kimberley-k
11-14-2008, 02:02 PM
My 4yo DS is obsessed with eating cheese. We go out 2-3 times a week, and he always wants a quesadilla or grilled cheese sandwich. At home he wants those or mac-n-cheese, and often eats string cheese. One day we ran out and he had a complete meltdown because he couldn't eat cheese!

I'm wondering if he's got some sort of dietary imbalance that makes him crave it or if this is just a kid thing? He's been asking for it a lot since he learned the sign language for it at about age 15 months.

-Kim

carolinamama
11-14-2008, 02:07 PM
I never thought it about it quite like that, but my ds is also very into cheese. He eats cheese slices and things with cheese constantly. We even have them for breakfast sometimes especially on school mornings since he will eat it without any struggle and I like sending him off with some protein in his system.

He also loves grilled cheese and quesadillas. Maybe it is just very palatable for kids this age.

Melaine
11-14-2008, 02:10 PM
My kids love it too. I don't really get it, I mean I like cheese on stuff, but I'm not really into eating a big hunk of cheddar, which they would totally do.

bubbaray
11-14-2008, 02:24 PM
*I* would eat a big hunk o' Cheddar. My kids, not so much. They will eat it, but don't crave it. Now, yogurt OTOH....

WatchingThemGrow
11-14-2008, 02:25 PM
My kids love it too. I don't really get it, I mean I like cheese on stuff, but I'm not really into eating a big hunk of cheddar, which they would totally do.

LOL I actually did give into a toddler screaming fit one day. I was getting a huge block of Kraft Colby Jack out to grate some, and DD was coming unglued screaming for it. I handed it over and pulled out the camera on video mode. She ate bite after bite after bite. She took a breath, turned it around, and started on the other end. The gross part is that there was snot running down her face too.

Every viewer said it made them want to barf initially, but they thought it was the funniest thing they ever saw.

Melaine
11-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Maybe it's all things dairy....my kids eat up the yogurt without abandon....

MMMommy
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
My girls eat, breathe, sleep and live for cheese. Cheese, cheese, cheese.

jammytoast
11-14-2008, 02:46 PM
maybe the same reason I do....Its tasty!

For me, its an occasional salt craving, but grilled cheese & quesediallas, its that whole stretchy nummy melted CHEESE thing.

off for my afternoon cheese stick now :D

StantonHyde
11-14-2008, 02:48 PM
I live for cheese and carbs, so my son comes by it honestly. DD, on the other hand, just wants meat and fruit. I joke that between the 2 of them they eat a balanced diet!

ett
11-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Both my boys love cheese here too. I feel like I'm constantly buying cheese everytime I go to the supermarket, be it shredded, sliced, block, cubes. We have it all!

g-mama
11-14-2008, 02:53 PM
It's not all kids - mine don't care for cheese much. They won't touch grilled cheese or quesadillas. Too bad - they're SO easy to make!

Now me on the other hand....

elliput
11-14-2008, 03:19 PM
A favorite quote around my house is "Ah, the power of cheese!"

KrystalS
11-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Wow nice to hear my DD isn't the only one. Cheese is the only thing she will consistenly eat. Loves string cheese, shredded cheese(she will eat a whole bowl of this by itself!). I buy the big blocks of cheddar cheese and cut slices for her, she loves this but its not cheap. She eats grilled cheese several times a week for dinner. However she hates mac and cheese, which is so strange because she loves noodles and cheese, just not together!
Anyone else notice how much the price of cheese has gone up the last year?

kijip
11-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Cheese has a lot of fat and it has protein. 2 things kids need at young ages. So it makes since that many/most (I know not all) kids would be really into cheese.

elliput
11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
However she hates mac and cheese, which is so strange because she loves noodles and cheese, just not together!

I am so glad to hear my DD is not the only child who doesn't like mac and cheese!

TonFirst
11-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Because it is AWESOME.

brittone2
11-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Cheese has a lot of fat and it has protein. 2 things kids need at young ages. So it makes since that many/most (I know not all) kids would be really into cheese.

ITA. I think kids are smart and know it evens out blood sugar, etc.

It also has a uniform texture which is appealing to some young kids.

Casein does give some people an endorphin release (at least, that's thought to be the case with some children on the Autism spectrum.)

wencit
11-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Casein does give some people an endorphin releaseHmm, that must be why I like cheese better than chocolate! :D

MontrealMum
11-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Because it's so good ;)

My DS eats tons of cheese, as did I at his age (and still do). I'm with Bubbaray on the hunk of cheddar - maybe I'll see if we have some in the fridge :boogie: - power of suggestion! FWIW, I have very low cholesterol.

EllasMum
11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
DD is right in the middle of a major parmesan cheese phase! She will take the container of parmesan out of the fridge and literally eat it by the spoonful. The other day we went for pizza, and she grabbed the shaker of parmesan and shook a bunch on her plate and chowed down. We did get a few strange looks. :)

kijip
11-14-2008, 09:57 PM
DD is right in the middle of a major parmesan cheese phase! She will take the container of parmesan out of the fridge and literally eat it by the spoonful. The other day we went for pizza, and she grabbed the shaker of parmesan and shook a bunch on her plate and chowed down. We did get a few strange looks. :)

T will do this too. We have to monitor him so he leaves some for the rest of us, LOL.

kransden
11-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Heck, Why am I so obsessed with eating cheese? :)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-14-2008, 11:32 PM
My 18 month old LOVES cheese. She LOVES Bleu cheese, Gloucester, Brie, Sharp Cheddar. She is popular at the natural grocery store, they get a kick out of a baby that eats Bleu cheese. I think part is the creamy texture,and saltiness. I :heartbeat: cheese, so I can't blame em!

Corie
11-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I live for cheese and carbs, so my son comes by it honestly. DD, on the other hand, just wants meat and fruit. I joke that between the 2 of them they eat a balanced diet!

I say the same thing here.

DD loves meat and dairy. DS loves fruit and vegetables.
Both love bread.

They are the food pyramid.

I am the crap group at the very top.

srhs
11-15-2008, 12:41 PM

This reminded me of a time I had my friend's 4yo son at a pizza place. He too was obsessed with cheese. Anyway, we shook the parmesan on the pizza. Then, he grabbed the shaker and proceeded to LICK the top clean. Aaaaa!
(Yes, I did tell the restaurant.)