PDA

View Full Version : Web Cam / staying in touch with out of state family

MoJo
11-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Our whole family lives out of state, and although I try to visit my mom once/month, she still laments all that she's missing in DD's development (her only grandchild). I was wondering if a web cam would help, but I don't know the first thing about them. We both have cable ISPs.

I expect it will get worse both because DD will be changing more rapidly & because during the winter the weather often keeps me from travelling on the one weekend she's off work each month.

Does anyone use a webcam or have any other suggestions?

TIA!

LarsMal
11-14-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm responding to this without really knowing what I'm talking about! A good friend of mine got a wireless (I think she called it) webcam. You can actually walk away from your computer with it. Her ILs are out of state and she wanted something that could move around the house to show the baby on the move. I have no idea what it's called, but it's out there! They absolutely love it and use it all the time.

elektra
11-14-2008, 03:26 PM
My Mac has a camera built in but we use Skype all the time. You should go for it!
Myt aunt in Ohio loves keeping in touch with DD this way.
I know my boss uses it throughout the day to say hi to his kids at home too.

niccig
11-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Both parties need to download the same software so they can make a video call to each other. We use Skype. I find it better with our PC, the Mac always loses audio, but that could be our computer set-up and not the Skype set up.

So, first find out what computer your mum has - PC or Mac.

Then find software that will work. If you both have Macs, you can use iChat - we do that with DH at work to say goodnight to DS. Both our parents have PC, so we use the PC laptop and skype

Get webcams - there's a range to choose from.

Load the software up, register and then you have to search to find your mum's user name and vice versa. Then you can initiate a video call. I normally call on the phone first and tell Mum to get the computer started. We then hang up the phone and use the computer.

I'll have to look into the wireless webcam as DS will only sit in front of the computer for 5 minutes or so.

ahrimie
11-14-2008, 04:03 PM
i have a mac and my parents have a pc and we use AIM (aol instant messenger) to chat all the time. for AIM, macs use ichat.

you can also video chat on gchat if you use gmail.

we both have built in cameras but you can buy an external one and i don't think they're very expensive for a basic one. we like it a lot and it's fun for my parents and brother to see her grow. i sometimes put it on the floor so they can see her move around and play with her toys while we just chit chat too.

bethie_73
11-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Its usually pretty simple to set up, and you don't need to get one that is built into the pc. Skype and instant messages both let you do it. the ILs only have dial up so we don't. but if they had broad band we would get them set up in a heartbeat.

Gena
11-14-2008, 04:24 PM
We use a webcam so my parents can see DS. We have the Rocketfish Notebook Webcam and it works well. We use Windows Live Messenger to connect. It's been a lot of fun to video chat.

clc053103
11-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Another skpe user- no issues, and it's free! Just make sure you set it up that it doesn't accept any calls from people not on your list- I have gotten a few requests from total strangers to "talk". You can reject them.

MamaKath
11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
We do Skype so my kids can talk with grandparents and even their great grandparents! It is awesome and free. We upgraded our internet service specifically to be able to do it.
This week my kindergarten class is planning to call my grandparents to wish them a happy 70th wedding anniversary! It is just neat to be able to see the other person at the same time as you are talking. :)

You need to get a webcam, have a computer with an up to date enough version of windows to install the webcam (my mom is having problems with this), and then high speed internet to do it.

HTH~

kedss
11-14-2008, 06:15 PM
my dc's grandparents live in Iceland, we use Skype and a webcam, I think its good for ds who knows them really well to see them and good for them to see him. :)

niccig
11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
As I said earlier, we love skype. But one problem is that when DS is talking on the phone, he'll nod or shake his head rather than say yes or no, or he'll hold a toy up to the phone to show the person - he doesn't get that they can't see him!

MoJo
11-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks everyone, that's encouraging! My mom, sister and I all have PCs; Sister's has built in webcam but other two don't. Mine is less than a year old, and I think my mom's is 2-3 years old, so I think we'll be OK there. I'll definitely look into Skype, and I'd guess I could find webcams almost anywhere. . . WalMart, office stores, electronics stores.

I'm glad I posted, and I hope this helps others too. I think this will be my mom's favorite Christmas present!

MoJo
11-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Skype sounds like a great deal. It seems like I should get a web cam with a built-in mic. Do I also need a special phone? I want something that will allow DD and my mom to easily hear each other, and I don't see the headset idea (as shown on the Skype site) working for a baby. I'm assuming that the mic just picks up voices but then you need a speaker . . . unless you just use the computer speaker?

Please pardon my technological illiteracy. Even the IT guru in the family has never used her webcam, so I'm on my own here.

Thanks again!

WatchingThemGrow
11-17-2008, 08:59 AM
More Skypers here. We found Logitech webcams on Spoofee.com for $6, so you can watch there or slickdeals for bargains.

The only problem we've had with it is getting the 60 yr old generation to set it up and actually run the software to get it going. Well, that and they finally sit down and relax on the couch with the laptop and are "ready" to talk far past DCs' bedtime.

MoJo
11-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I thought I'd help her download the software & try to get it set up while we're at her home with my IT sister to help if needed; I usually stay longer than DH so he could be back here to test it out.

My mom & I both work evenings, so we typically talk in the morning - she WOULD talk late but already knows I won't answer!

So what equipment do I need to get us started?

mamaoftwins
11-17-2008, 11:49 AM
All of our family lives 1000+ miles away and we use a webcam as well. Built into our laptop. Just like pps, we use Skype - it's free, not even a second delay, and we never drop a connection. We've found it's about as perfect as you can get.

Now, if I could just get the boys to stop banging on the computer keyboard while we're on ... ;)

ETA: all you need is a computer, a webcam, and then you can download Skype for free from the internet. Whoever you want to talk to will do the same. Skype explains things reallly well, so we found it all pretty easy to follow.

niccig
11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
ETA: all you need is a computer, a webcam, and then you can download Skype for free from the internet. Whoever you want to talk to will do the same. Skype explains things reallly well, so we found it all pretty easy to follow.

Yep, that's all you need.

Another thing about Skype is that you can call from you computer to a land line. I do this to call my family overseas at a really low cost. You have to put credit on your skype account to call landlines. But for web cam to see each other, it doesn't cost at all.

MoJo
11-19-2008, 11:38 AM
So do you use the computer speakers to hear the other person?

I'm guessing a webcam with a built-in mic would be best at least for our end, 'cause I can't imagine DD wearing a headset. Right?

Thanks again!

mamaoftwins
11-19-2008, 05:20 PM
So do you use the computer speakers to hear the other person?

I'm guessing a webcam with a built-in mic would be best at least for our end, 'cause I can't imagine DD wearing a headset. Right?

Thanks again!

Yes to both. :)