PDA

View Full Version : So I failed my 1 hour glucose test. Now what?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-14-2008, 07:30 PM
The ob wants me back in at 8:30am on monday and nothing to eat after midnight sunday night for a 3 hour test. I've never had this happen before so I'm at a loss. Could I have screwed up the results by eating lunch before I went in? She said my number was 160. How high is this really?

I'm just planning to go in with a good book monday morning and make the best of this and I'm also not planning on telling dh until sunday night. Maybe that's lousy of me but as far as I can see there's no point in telling him just so he can stress out and worry about me and the baby all weekend (which he will do).

Does anyone who's dealt with the 3 hour test or gestational diabetes have any advice? I could really use it.

elliput
11-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Failing the 1 hr is no big deal. It is very possible that your lunch had an impact on the test results. Just follow your doc's instructions and make sure you eat a good high protein snack right before your fasting begins. Also, take a high protein snack for right after you are done, and be prepared to crash in the afternoon.

kerridean
11-14-2008, 08:13 PM
No problem. Chances are you will pass the 3 hour. I failed my 1 hour and passed the 3 hour with DD1. Just bring a book and think of it as a 3 hour block all to yourself. Do not worry!

amandabea
11-14-2008, 08:14 PM
yes, it was probably your lunch. I failed mine too (had oatmeal for breakfast), but passed the three-hour one. Take a good book and pray the staff isn't having coffee & bagels while you're waiting -- that's what happened to me...I seriously wanted to hurt someone and my stomach was growling so loud!

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2008, 08:24 PM
I haven't btdt but I think 140+ is the "fail" mark.

I really like the information on this site about GD and prenatal testing. It is really interesting and comprehensive. Hope it helps:
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/Prenatal%20Testing/prenataltest-gdscreensummary.htm

ETA_ that site is valid even if you aren't "plus sized" so don't skip it because of the title.
Beth

ThreeofUs
11-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Don't worry about it, but don't eat anywhere near midnight, either. :)

Seriously, it's no big deal even if you flunk your 3-hour (which you probably won't) - just watching your diet.

Swimfreak78
11-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I failed my 1 hour as well. I was fine for the 3 hour. I just wish it wasn't so warm in the waiting room since I almost threw up at 2 hours and 45 minutes. . . If there's any chance of it being warm ask for an icepack. That helped me get thru the end.

kransden
11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
You might remember that I was on injections (and had to increase them) with dd. This is not a big deal. You either have GD or you don't. No matter what, you are going to have to change your eating habits and cut out the sugar and carbs. If you have it, you may also have to get shots. You'll need to do these things to have a healthy baby.

What is more important is that you lose weight and take care of yourself afterward. The stress of my moving and lack of self-care tipped me over and I became a regular diabetic. Because of it, I will always be an insurance risk and will cost money. It also starts a cascade of health problems. Never again will I be able to have Pop Tarts for breakfast ;).

kijip
11-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Just wanted to say that failing the 1 hour is not going to mean that you will fail the 3 hr.

Eat a nice bit of protein the night before your fast begins for sure.

I have never had to do anything but the 1 hour (ick, hate that glucola), but have had a lot of friends who had to take the 3 hr and it came back fine after they failed the 1 hr.

AuGoldie
11-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Hey there,
I failed the 1 hour and then the 3 hour. My doctor sent me to a diabetic management class. They showed me how to have balanced meals and snacks and I have to take my blood sugar in the morning and 2 hours after every meal. It's a bit of a pain but I've lost weight while on the new plan and am generally feeling better and more energetic. My GD has been completely controlled with diet alone (Thank God) so I don't need any medication or insulin. Also, starting at 36 weeks I will have to have weekly ultrasounds to check on various things among them is the amniotic fluid levels. When I failed the first test I cried like a baby because I felt so guilty etc. But the fix has been so simple and easy that overall I'm ok with the situation.
God Bless,
Jackie

ellies mom
11-14-2008, 11:30 PM
I failed the one hour this last time and passed the 3 hour with flying colors. Which was good because carbs are my friends. Anyhow, bring a book, knitting, something and consider it quiet "you" time. I studied for an A&P test and got a ton done.

ThreeofUs
11-15-2008, 04:30 AM
Maybe that's lousy of me but as far as I can see there's no point in telling him just so he can stress out and worry about me and the baby all weekend (which he will do).

Just a quick note. Even with wildly unmanaged GD during pregnancy, the very worst problems you and your baby would have to deal with are (1) too big to deliver vaginally - we're talking 14 pounds and up for rampant GD and bad-carb-heavy diets - and (2) some chance of hypoglycemia for the baby after s/he is born. Oh, and both of you would have slightly increased chances for developing type 2 diabetes much later.

It's not a predictor of anything else.

And even with GD, if you're careful about your diet and exercise, you have excellent chances of controlling it with diet and exercise.

Some people, like me, flunk both tests but have perfectly normal glucose counts otherwise. (I'm allergic to guar gum, which is an ingredient used in sodas to keep the syrup from separating from the carbonated water. The test made me ill for 3 days!)

crayonblue
11-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I failed the one hour but passed the 3 hour.

I felt kind of woozy after drinking the 3 hour stuff (it tasted OK but like thick maple syrup!). The nurse put me in a room with a recliner because I was feeling faint and I took a 3 hour nap! :)

amldaley
11-15-2008, 08:27 AM
I failed the 1 hr and passed the three hour, though barely. I was not required to do anything, but I started watching what I ate anyway and when I ate. It helped me keep from gaining too much and I did not want to press my luck. I just kept thinking about how I was setting dd up.

BeachBum
11-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm in the same boat. My Dr. called Friday to let me know I'd failed (159) and needed to take the 3 hr on Monday. I'm not overweight, but I am a total candy junky. I think my DH had a panic attack when I told him I might have to cut out all chocolate for the remainder of my pregnancy. :)

o_mom
11-15-2008, 12:34 PM
If you are taking the 3 hr on Monday, eat extra carbs today and tomorrow:

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/gestational/threeday.htm

If you don't normally eat a bunch of carbs, your body is not used to responding to them with enough insulin which can make it look worse than it is. Eating extra for a few days before can get you back in the mode of responding to the carb load.