PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have video cameras installed in their home??? questions!

daisy1234
11-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has security caneras in their homes...ie for preventing burglers or Nanny type cameras...Cost...experience...is it worth it. Do you feel safer...peace of mind? I just saw a show on TV where this person had a camera and used it when a nurse was taking care of her dad...everything was perfect...then she got a feeling....and looked at the videos...her fathers was being physically and verbally abused...he was an older man and needed constant care. Anyway...it got me thinking...How can we trust anyone these days....I hate to be paranoid but at the same time I have a friend who worked for CPS and had numerouse babysitting stories...I honestly can't leave my kids ever with a sitter at his point in time. I guess I was wondering if people really even use these types of things???

I do question the ethics in this but I am really wondering what others think about this...

Melaine
11-14-2008, 08:22 PM
I've never done it, but I wouldn't have a problem with it for a second. I don't question it from an ethical standpoint at all. You should always do your job as if your boss was watching, ykwim? It's not as if you'd be watching all the time, only if the need arose or if you had concerns. Sorry I don't have any specific details, I just think it is ok to do it. For me, with babysitters, I don't trust anyone that I don't know really really well. Basically anyone I would pay to babysit, I wouldn't trust to do it. Only some of our family and friends would be ok to keep my kids. All that to say, I totally understand your paranoia!

irie i
11-14-2008, 09:24 PM
When I lived in Texas I had a few installed in the house...I could log in to my website and watch my dogs. I would not hesitate to have one in my home if I had someone here taking care of my child. In fact, I prefer that to day care and am going to look into it when that time comes. I would let them know that there are hidden video cameras around and I would not tell them where they are/aren't being watched (except for the bathroom, of course, where everyone should have a reasonable expectation of privacy)...I think that anyone sketchy would reject the job once they knew there were cameras anyway.

Asianmommy
11-14-2008, 10:17 PM
DH wanted to do this, but it would make me feel too weird. I personally wouldn't want to be watched. I told him he could do cameras outside of the house, but not inside. It would be nice to see who's ringing the doorbell while I'm busy in the kitchen, dontcha think?

Fairy
11-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I am also wanting to do this outside the house filming the porch. But I don't know what kind of resources this takes, if you're talking VHS or DVD or what. I also kind of want to send DS to pre-school with one of those cameras sticking out of a buttonhole or something. I just want to see what his day is like from his perspective. Also, he's been complaining that his best friend, who is one of the worst-disciplined children I've ever met, doesn't like him anymore. I've witnessed her be aggressive with DS, and I want to see exactly what she's doing. Her discipline is a whole 'nother thread, but this is one of the reasons I really want to look into sending him with one of those remote cameras. But I don't have the resources to sit outside his building with the base unit (or I wouldn't need daycare in the first place).

I'd realy like to hear if anyone else is doing either of these two things.