PDA

View Full Version : Birthday party etiquette...

sidmand
11-15-2008, 10:14 AM
If we don't go, should we give the birthday boy a present? Does it depend on our relationship with the boy (acquaintance vs. friend)? I would think not to give a gift if we don't go, like a wedding or a shower. But I think we did get some gifts from people who couldn't make it to DS's birthday.

We have one today that we can't make and one tomorrow (that we can go to) where the boy from today will be too. Both are "friends" of DS, although we see the one tomorrow more often. I was going to give Cariboo (present of choice for 3 year olds!) and I have one I could give to each, just wasn't sure if I should or not?

Yes, I way overthink things. But I'm just not sure what's the right thing to do to make most people not uncomfortable.

bubbaray
11-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Given that you will see the boy from today so soon, and also at another party, I would take presents for both boys to tomorrow's party.

Asianmommy
11-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I agree. In this case, I'd give both of them a gift. Normally, for a classmate we don't know well, I'd skip it. For a close friend, I'd still give a gift.

caleymama
11-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I agree. In this case, I'd give both of them a gift. Normally, for a classmate we don't know well, I'd skip it. For a close friend, I'd still give a gift.

:yeahthat:

o_mom
11-15-2008, 12:29 PM
I usually ask my self if I would give them a present even if they didn't have a party. If I would, then I go ahead. If I wouldn't, then I don't.

mariza
11-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Initially I was going to say no, BUT being that you will see the other boy at the 2nd party I would bring the gift to avoid hurt toddler feelings. However, I would try and be discreet about it, maybe give it to the Mom and hopefully she will be smart enough to go put it in the car and give it to him later. I'd hate to see all the other kids wondeing where their presents are. I know my kids would think this way, maybe this isn't the case with all 3 year olds though.

new_mommy25
11-15-2008, 02:00 PM
If it's a party that cannot attend due to other obligations and I told the parent that, then I wouldn't give a gift.

If it was a party I RSVP's yes to, and at the last minute couldn't attend, I would give a gift.

If you have two of the present and want to give it, then I think it's a good idea, especially since this is someone you see often. :)

sidmand
11-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone.

We're not that great friends (yet) with the first boy, but we may be at some point. And since we will see them both tomorrow (I think), I'll bring two and give it discreetly to his mom. Sounds like a good plan to me! We did tell the 1st mom that we couldn't come so we're not backing out at the last minute or anything. I probably wouldn't give him a gift anyway (that makes sense though), but...