PDA

View Full Version : 23andme.com on Oprah

supercalifragilous
11-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Did anyone watch Oprah yesterday (Friday, 11/14)? What did y'all think about the genetic testing kit from 23andme.com (Time magazine's invention of the year)?

Dr. Oz seemed to like it. I thought the name was cute (23 pairs of chromosomes), but Oprah cut her off and didn't seem to really care, letting Gail ask the question and pulling a Jenny Jones. I can't believe that the price dropped so dramatically - from $1000+ to $399!! Is anyone going to have a spit party?"

Part of me is curious to see what the test would reveal for DD; I wonder if it would pick up on any childhood diseases (juvenile diabetes, cancers, etc.) that haven't manifested yet... And for those who were adopted or don't know their parents' medical history, this would offer some insight.

JustMe
11-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I missed the show, but as an adoptive mom am really interested to hear more about this kit and what it is supposed to do.

motherofone
11-15-2008, 01:01 PM
I didn't see the Oprah but read about this company. I'd really like to do it just for curiosity. You can go to their site and play with the results from a sample family and see what kind of data you receive and how it is interpreted. The more people in your family you can get to participate, the more interesting the results will be. Of course, I am the geekiest person in the world-not sure if there is a gene for that.