PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Home Depot's "Fresh Aire" no VOC paint?

JMS
11-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Just wondering if you liked the application? TIA!

amldaley
11-15-2008, 01:11 PM
My mother tried it - took two coats for lighter colors and three for darker colors. She said the final result is gorgeous, but I think three coats is crazy. She said it is thin and almost watery. Streaked a little.

blisstwins
11-15-2008, 02:06 PM
She said it is thin and almost watery. Streaked a little.

I used it and really disliked it. I had much better luck with aura.

amldaley
01-16-2009, 10:19 AM
I used it and really disliked it. I had much better luck with aura.

Aura from Benjamin Moore or Auro paint from Canada? Aura is not low/no VOC, but Auro is...just wondering which you used...

julymommy
01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Aura, Benjamin Moore, is low VOC. We have used it several times and have gotten great results. Although it costs a bit more, we usually only had to do one coat (whereas with other brands/non-Aura paint we had to use several coats.

amldaley
01-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Aura, Benjamin Moore, is low VOC. We have used it several times and have gotten great results. Although it costs a bit more, we usually only had to do one coat (whereas with other brands/non-Aura paint we had to use several coats.

It is??? I have scoured the Benj Mr site and do not see it listed as low VOC. Argh!

amldaley
01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
ahhhhhhhhh...I see it now... Green Promise, GreenGuard certified....geez...why can't they just say Low VOC? I am a dummy.

tny915
01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I used it to paint DD2's room. Took two coats for her pink room. I don't have a ton of painting experience, but I was happy with it.

Cubdriver
01-28-2009, 09:09 PM
We used the true value easy care low VOC and are very happy. It did not smell at all and almost got ranked as high in CR as Aurora. Additionally, it is much easier to find.

kimbe
01-28-2009, 09:13 PM
We love Sherwin Williams no Voc paint --- Harmony. It is the only thing that we'll use. We have never had to use more than two coats. (Our master bath was BRICK RED and we painted it a light gray --- two coats covered awesome!) No smell at all.

trales
01-28-2009, 09:54 PM
This is timely, consumer reports just came out with the low-voc paint review today. They like Behr Premium Plus. I happened to agree. But they did mention the low-voc calcs are based on the base and do not count the tint. They also mentioned the method is outdated and does not do well calculating levels less than 100g/L.

They also like Kilz, but I won't shop at Walmart. For one-coat they like Behr for $24 and Kilz for $23 and Benjamin Moore for $57. I always love Benjamin Moore, but can only afford it if I have a coupon. For sunny spaces they like Benjamin Moore $57 and Valspar $27. For smoothest they like Behr $24. Top VOC was Benjamin Moore for $57, True Value for $25, Olymipic for $17 adn Sears for $25. I have had issues with True Value paint in the past in darker colors.

I just used sherman williams enamal in red to paint a homemade learning tower for DD, it took 6 coats and I ran out of paint. That was after using a tinted primer for 3 coats. This was on Luan plywood. I was not a happy camper, it was also so thick that it did not self level and you can see brush strokes.

To answer your original question, CR did not like the FreshAire $37, bad a hiding stains, not smooth, hard to clean and fades.