PDA

View Full Version : Wii Fit - worth it?

BigDog
11-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Thinking about purchasing a Wii Fit for xmas, with the hopes that it'll get DH and I into a fun exercise routine. What are your opinions on it? Wondering if it's worth it or if I should just stick with my regular ol' exercise videos (which I don't seem to do!). TIA!

MartiesMom2B
11-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Honestly in this house, we've used it for a week. The same with my neighbors. My husband went on and on about how he wanted one and that it would help him work out. He's used it once. Unless you really think you would commit to using it, I would pass on it.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
11-15-2008, 02:22 PM
I would say yes and no. The allure of it will wear off in a few weeks - at least it did here. That said, they are coming out with more and more games that use it (like Wii Ski and the new Rayman game) so if you are into those games, it's fun to have it.

Rainbows&Roses
11-15-2008, 02:59 PM
We actually used it quite a bit for the first month we had and then lost interest till recently when it started getting colder outside. It is definitely good for some laughs too (the balance games).

We have Wii Ski and it is much more challenging with the balance board so it adds a new level to the game. Decca sports is coming out with winter games for it and I saw another game that uses it too.

So I do think it is worth it. I just wish they would come out with Wii Fit 2 and add some jogging paths, more aerobics and some more balance games. There are tons of possibilities, so hopefully that is on the horizon.

maylips
11-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Some of it is fun, but what I really don't like is that once you get into a game, it ends after a couple of minutes and you have to stop to choose another. This really gets me out of exercise mode. I need a full 20 minute workout or I'll quit when I'm tired, rather than push through, kwim? It's really bad for the yoga - you do the pose a few times, then it's over. Frustrating. We haven't used it nearly as much as we thought we would.

MartiesMom2B
11-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Some of it is fun, but what I really don't like is that once you get into a game, it ends after a couple of minutes and you have to stop to choose another. This really gets me out of exercise mode. I need a full 20 minute workout or I'll quit when I'm tired, rather than push through, kwim? It's really bad for the yoga - you do the pose a few times, then it's over. Frustrating. We haven't used it nearly as much as we thought we would.

This is what frustrates me too. I wish I could go from one yoga pose to another. I don't like the stopping and starting.

MMMommy
11-15-2008, 07:57 PM
We have Wii Fit, and while it is fun, I wouldn't recommend it as a substitute for any regular exercise regimen. Namely, I wouldn't stop doing the treadmill or stop going to the gym in favor of the Wii Fit. It can be fun and entertaining, but I see it as strictly supplemental gaming.

MMEand1
11-15-2008, 10:49 PM
We have Wii Fit, and while it is fun, I wouldn't recommend it as a substitute for any regular exercise regimen. Namely, I wouldn't stop doing the treadmill or stop going to the gym in favor of the Wii Fit. It can be fun and entertaining, but I see it as strictly supplemental gaming.

Agree 100%!!! My DH goes to the gym and then uses the wii fit to weigh, keep track of his weight patterns, and do some easy stretching. Don't get it if you think you can use it to really get in shape.

Asianmommy
11-16-2008, 12:30 AM
I think it's a great way to motivate couch potatoes to start to exercise, but once you've been doing it for several weeks, it starts to lose its appeal. Working out in a gym is a much better work out.