PDA

View Full Version : Do I need my receipt to make a return at Costco?

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I just joined last month so I am not up on protocol there.

I bought a Kenneth Cole Reaction down coat there last month for $29...and I got what I paid for. It has been worn less than 10 times and the pocket liners are ripped and there is a seam ripped inside. Feathers are coming out. Basically it is a piece of crap.

I may have the reciept handy somewhere but if I can't find it can I still return it? Even with the reciept, am I allowed to return something that I took the tags off of?

Thanks!
Beth

kijip
11-15-2008, 04:37 PM
They will take it back with just your membership card I believe.

bubbaray
11-15-2008, 04:39 PM
As long as you have your membership card, they will look up the item on your purchase history.... No receipt necessary.

HTH

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I figured they know what I bought b/c of the card. I actually didn't want to join b/c I hate the thought of Big Brother tracking my purchases so easily. However, times like this make it kind of handy.

So, they won't give me grief about it being worn? It looks ok, except for where it is falling apart!

Beth

kijip
11-15-2008, 04:55 PM
So, they won't give me grief about it being worn? It looks ok, except for where it is falling apart!

Beth

No. They are the BEST ever about taking back stuff that has just worn out too fast or is defective. Never had them give me any grief.

Snow mom
11-16-2008, 12:02 AM
I think other than electronics you can return most anything used or not to them without grief. They changed their policy on items like digital cameras fairly recently to make it a 90 day return policy.

~Lisa

MMMommy
11-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Costco has the best, most liberal return policy. Satisfaction guaranteed, except for a 90 day time limit on certain electronics (i.e. computers and the like). I've seen people wheel in used washing machines/dryers, box of diapers (half of them were gone), and believe it or not, pound cake that was actually cut up and individually wrapped by the customer (as if the customer were to resell it at a bake sale). Returning a defective, poorly made coat is nothing to be ashamed of. I don't expect them to give you any problems at all. I've returned many items without the receipt.

Emmas Mom
11-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Costco has the best, most liberal return policy. Satisfaction guaranteed, except for a 90 day time limit on certain electronics (i.e. computers and the like). I've seen people wheel in used washing machines/dryers, box of diapers (half of them were gone), and believe it or not, pound cake that was actually cut up and individually wrapped by the customer (as if the customer were to resell it at a bake sale). Returning a defective, poorly made coat is nothing to be ashamed of. I don't expect them to give you any problems at all. I've returned many items without the receipt.

:yeahthat: I too have returned MANY items without a receipt. It's one of the reasons I'm a loyal Costco shopper....one of the many reasons (most of them much yummier). ;)

wencit
11-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Does anyone know how far back in time the membership card lookup goes? I have an item that I think has been sitting around for a while (like, many months), so I may not be able to find the receipt. Is there a limit to how far back the purchase history goes?

Snow mom
11-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Does anyone know how far back in time the membership card lookup goes? I have an item that I think has been sitting around for a while (like, many months), so I may not be able to find the receipt. Is there a limit to how far back the purchase history goes?

I think as long as you've had a membership they've been keeping track of your purchases and can just look up when you bought something and how much you paid. If you've been a member for many, many years this might not hold but I'm sure you can return without a receipt for several years. When we were first getting our membership we ran into a guy who was raving about the return policy-- he was returning something he had bought 3+ years ago which had stopped working properly.

~Lisa

~Lisa

dhano923
11-16-2008, 02:22 PM
We've return a 2 year old TV without a receipt and they took it back without problem. It started having static on the screen and the warranty had run out. We thought we'd try exchanging it for another one but it was a shot in the dark. The catch was that my brother bought us the TV! So it was on his card, not ours, but they just told us to call him and get him card number, they pulled it up (it was bought at the same location) and they gave us a store credit/gift card which we used to get a different TV.

I love Costco!

egoldber
11-16-2008, 02:28 PM
FYI, Costco now has a 90 day return policy on large electronics like HDTVs. Too many peope were abusing the return policy and essentially just "renting" and upgrading their TVs every couple years.

vludmilla
11-16-2008, 02:56 PM
FYI, Costco now has a 90 day return policy on large electronics like HDTVs. Too many peope were abusing the return policy and essentially just "renting" and upgrading their TVs every couple years.

Way off topic, but oh, how this has ticked me off. One of my work colleagues is very vocal about her super conservative values and lifestyle. They are both quite observant of their religion and she has made negative comments in passing about those who are not religious raising children. Imagine my shock when she told me that she and her husband returned their working television to Costco so they could upgrade to a large plasma tv. Geez. But atheist husband and I need to worry about our ethics?

Aishe
11-16-2008, 07:02 PM

I was in Costco's return line yesterday and the woman in front of me had purchased $40K worth of stuff over the past four years and had returned $19K of it, most of it electronics. They weren't exactly giving her a hard time (they were letting her return a set of cordless phones), but they were definitely letting her know it was a problem.

Incidentally, I was getting a refund on soymilk that had been rotten. I had neither the receipt nor the product with me, but they didn't even blink. So the return policy is great for those of us who don't abuse it!

vonfirmath
11-17-2008, 05:50 PM
They give a gift card to Costco for stuff that you don't have a receipt for.