PDA

View Full Version : Hotel reservations and occupancy limits

Ceepa
11-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Silly question.

How do those of you traveling with kids deal with a hotel's occupancy rules? For instance, when I was online looking for holiday rates the rooms available to us changed when I typed in the number of adults (me and DH) vs. the number of everyone in our family (inlcuding DC). It seems ridiculous to need an extra room because of children younger than 5 years old because a hotel's room max. occupany level is 3. Or does that mean 3 adults? Are they counting kids as individual occupants? Do you book online or on the phone and if so, do you explain how many are in your group including kids?

ThreeofUs
11-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I think it's 3 adults. Can you imagine a hotel telling parents their preschool and younger kids had to stay in a separate room?!

I book both ways and might ask about a roll-away for DS1, but there's never any dialog on needing another room.

Have great travels!

kijip
11-15-2008, 08:50 PM
When I book online, I just enter the number of adults. No one has ever flinched when we show up with a child.

Momof3Labs
11-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Are you trying to book a king-sized bed? If so, the max may be 2 people. If you are trying to book two doubles (or two queens), I can't believe that you'd be finding a max of 2. It could also be a glitch in the booking system - try calling the hotel directly instead of booking online.

Octobermommy
11-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Most hotels I have been to do not charge extra for children. I would just put the number of adults. The only issue I can see is that certain hotels that have the "free" big breakfasts sometimes give out coupons based on the number of people on the books. I don't know if they would turn down a child entering the breakfast area though, my thought is no.

american_mama
11-15-2008, 11:54 PM
I have encountered problems with hotels booking a family of 4 or more all in the same room, and problems getting the lowest rate (2 adults or less) when traveling with two adults and a 3 month old. All of these were at places advertising special rates to travelers in those free discount magazines available at rest stations, fast food restaurants, etc. (Tip: my parents have driven across the country several times and always find those discount magazines have the best rates.)

Anyway, when the clerk wanted to charge me more for having a third person (my 3 month old) in the room, I argued to no avail, then my brother and I went elsewhere (ironically, to the hotel next door owned by the same person). I checked in solo that time, said two adults, and then we walked in with baby in car seat. No one minded.

My sister, who has a family of six, practices the limited information policy. She checks in solo, asks for the rate she wants, and waits to see if they ask any questions about number of children. If they do, she tells the truth and then directly asks them if they will honor the lower rate for her and her children. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes no. One time they put her in adjoining rooms due to fire codes, but gave her the lower rate.

This is something I think I won't like about being a family of five.

Ceepa
11-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks ladies. I wasn't sure as pp said if it was a fire code issue or a computer program issue, but I'll go with the number of adults and be forthcoming about DC if someone asks.

Mikey0709
11-17-2008, 10:08 AM
The only place i experienced a problem with occupancy was at a hotel room at the beach this summer....maximum occupancy was 6 - and that included EVEN babies. It was an efficiency room. They were EXTREMELY strict and even wanted names. I think this was due to fire regulation, but i could also see them having issues with kids renting during "senior week" ect.