PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to need a double stroller... can't decide what!

gobadgers
11-15-2008, 07:16 PM
I need some stroller advice! DC#2 is due at the end of May and I'm starting to think about double strollers. When I went stroller shopping the first time around, it never occured to me that I might have more than one kid someday, so I will be ill-equipped. Right now I have a Dreamer Design (which I love), a fold-up infant car seat frame (like a Snap-n-Go) and a little Combi Cosmo fold-up that leaves a lot to be desired.

The kiddies will be 1 year, 9 months apart, and I need something to hold both of them! I don't think my Dreamer Design has any option to add a second seat. And I don't want a side-by-side because I do a lot of walking around town and through doorways. So the options I see are:

1. Phil and Ted's with toddler seat in back. I LOVE the look of this stroller, but worry about the price (especially because I NEVER see them on our craigslist)
2. Valco Runabout with toddler seat in front. I just discovered this option - the toddler seat looks pretty cool! But I worry that I can't use the toddler seat and an infant seat at the same time.
3. Sit-n-Stand (but I think DD1 will be too young, at least when #2 is born?)
4. other in-line double stroller options - Graco, etc...?
5. Carry #2 in the Baby Bjorn for a while and wait to buy a double stroller at all.

Can I solicit some advice from those who have been there and done that (and others who have opinions on it!)?

Thanks!

neeleymartin
11-15-2008, 10:04 PM
i am in the same situation. our ds was born in 6/07 and ds2 is due 4/09. they will be 22months apart. we decided to go with the phil and ted. over $500 is hard to swallow, but worth it, i think.

my 17 month old loves to walk around when we go places, i wanted a stroller that would be a single again someday. also great for taller babes. ds is 36" tall and we had a bob that he outgrew, head hit the canopy when not in use.

we considered both the valco and the baby jogger with the extra seat. the baby jogger (similar to valco)seat only holds up to 33lbs, we were afraid it would be useless by the time we needed it. the valco has a higher weight limit, but i have read several reviews that mention that when the toddler rides up front, it is very tricky to steer, due to the added weight. i wonder if that's why bj decided to limit the weight for their seat.

not sure this helps, but i know exactly how you feel. we ended up buying our phil and teds from babyfurniturewarehouse.com. they had the best price when we bought in early september and free shipping.

good luck,n

gobadgers
11-16-2008, 12:41 AM
It's so good to hear you have gone through the same thought process! DD is only 14.5 months right now, but I suppose it won't be long until she'll want to get out and walk everywhere too.

Now that I've looked at the Valco more, it doesn't sound like its for me. I get so annoyed with my little Combi stroller because it's difficult to steer, so I know I just won't be able to stand the Valco. I think I'm leaning toward the Phil and Ted too. Although I'm starting to rethink the side-by-sides, like maybe a BJ City Mini Double too - they sound so easy to steer! I wonder, really, how many doors they wouldn't fit through. I also may try to hold out until DC2 is a few months old and try a Joovy Caboose. The description says the back sit/stand part is for 2.5 yr and up, I wonder if that's a reasonable age or if we could start using it before then.

Yeah... I haven't really decided anything yet, have I?

WatchingThemGrow
11-16-2008, 08:36 AM
I haven't found a door yet that my BJ City Elite Double won't go through. It has a lot of great features and measurements. Check it out. You'll love it as much as we do.

gobadgers
11-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the advice - I think I will go look at a City Mini IRL. What turned me off at first is that from my condo to the outdoors, I have to get through three heavy doors. It's awkward even with a single stroller (although I am thankful that there's an elevator in the building!). But I got used to pushing the single through, I'm sure I'll get used to the double too.

mariza
11-17-2008, 12:00 AM
I have the Phil & Ted E3, and love it, but I have to admit there was a "growing in" phase. My DC's are 20 months apart and at first I wanted a SBS so I got a Zooper Tango, which I loved, but as the kids got a little older and my DD was more interested in walking that sitting, I looked pretty silly pushing a big stroller with only 1 seat occupied. That's when I decided to look into the Valco vs. E3. I loved both, actually really loved the Valco more, but decided that the toddler seat on the Valco was a dealbreaker since my DD (when she decided to sit in the stroller) liked to sleep in it and the Valco seat is not conducive to sleeping.
When I first got the E3 I was just OK with it, but over time both me and DH have grown to love it. I even sold my P3 and barely use the Mac Volo, we just reach for the E3 every time. Now my DD is almost 4 and she will still climb into the backseat when she's tired of walking. My DS is 2 and though he wants to walk, I need him contained, he is not as good as listening as DD was! HTH!

ETA: Here is a good deal on a P&T "classic", I guess this is the E3: http://www.strollermama.com/philandteds-classicstroller.html
I love the ladies at Stroller Mama, they really helped answer all of my questions when weighing the Valco vs. E3 and their videos are helpful too! Good Luck!

gobadgers
11-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the link and the help! I'm liking the strollermama website - I think I'll be on there for a while tonight :-) I'm convinced that I will need to get back out there to see the strollers in person again - both the Phil and Teds and the BJ City series (WatchingthemGrwo - I think I was calling it the Mini earlier, but after reading your recent posting to another question it's getting more clear - thanks for all your help!)

vacationer526
11-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Christine- I just PM'd you about a Phil & Ted :)

gobadgers
11-19-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm in a quandry. I looked at the Phil and Teds and the Baby Jogger City Elite today... they both look awesome.

I love the compactness and efficiency of the Phil and Teds, and that certainly fits my needs right now - living in the condo with little storage space and walking everywhere. But we are thinking of moving to a real house after #2 comes (OK, who am I kidding, we'll move when the condo sells and not a minute before...) Anyway, I'm worried that the BJCED (?) will make more sense once we are out of the condo.

Those with Phil and Teds - can I ask what you think of the storage in the stroller itself? I'm worried about the small basket, and the fact that the basket is pretty much useless when the doubles kit is installed in the back. Does anyone have the pannier bags, and if so how big/functional are they? I like to lug lots of stuff with me...

The bottle/drink holders, pockets and basket on the BJCED looked so great. But for some reason I still worry that I'm not woman enough to get that stroller through so many doors. I don't know why I worry about this - I own two strollers right now, one is a TANK (a Dreamer Design single stroller that just barely fits into the elevator), and the other one is a little fold up stroller (Combi Cosmo) that can't go straight OR turn reliably to save its life. Those seem like bigger problems - and yet I'm hung up on the idea of pushing a side-by-side stroller around. Can anyone talk sense into me?!

WatchingThemGrow
11-19-2008, 08:19 AM
See if you can take the BJCED around some neighboring stores. Seriously, I can get it through doors anywhere I've tried. Going backward helps if you are alone- like any stroller. The width is very conducive to sliding through doors w/o touching. The BOB scraped every door I went through as it was maybe 1" wider. Can't speak for the P&T, but my friend has a Vibe I've never played with.