PDA

View Full Version : PBK kitchen sinks hold water - is that unusual for play kitchens?

maylips
11-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Am trying to figure out what kitchen to get DD for Christmas. I think the holding-water thing would be an awesome feature for my aqua lover, but I didn't know if most sinks hold water or if this is a unique feature or not.

The description says "Our red kitchen sink has a fun retro design that can actually hold water so kids can scrub their pots and pans."

So is that unique? And either way, is that opening a can of messy worms anyway?

I cannot for the life of me figure out what kitchen to buy, even after reading all of these threads about kitchens. I like the retro look, but practically think the Step 2 with all the gadgets will make DD happiest longer. So confused!

brittone2
11-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I have a fairly high mess tolerance, but for a little one in particular, I probably wouldn't fill it with water, personally. I often give my kids a dishpan and a little soap and a sponge and let them play like that on the porch or deck in warmer weather. We also do a dishpan with a small-sized washboard.

We have an Elves and Angels kitchen and love it. Our good friends have a PBK Retro (red) kitchen and that rocks too (and all of the kids loooove it :heartbeat: when they play over there).

MMMommy
11-15-2008, 10:58 PM
I think a play kitchen sink filled with water would be a recipe for disaster. I just know that the water would not stay contained in the sink and would end up everywhere else. Also, wouldn't water potentially damage the non-sink portions of the play kitchen if the water does get all over the place? If the play kitchen is made of wood, I assume that water splashing on the non-sink part would be ruin the wood or paint on the non-sink portion.

KrystalS
11-16-2008, 12:43 AM
We have a Kidkraft kitchen, purchased from Costco a few years ago. The sink is actually a removable plastic bin and it does hold water. DD loves to put water in it but she always makes a mess and it always ends up on the carpet. Plus she forgets to dump it out in the sink so it gets left for days. She also likes to put water in her bowls and cups I didn't notice it one day and dumped water everywhere.

maylips
11-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Your opinions are along my line of thinking...so it makes sense. Thanks!

CiderLogan
11-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Our play kitchen could theoretically hold water, but I would never tell my DDs that. And it has never occurred to them that it should. So I think it's sort of a non-issue.

new_mommy25
11-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Our play kitchen could theoretically hold water, but I would never tell my DDs that. And it has never occurred to them that it should. So I think it's sort of a non-issue.

Yeah, that!

s7714
11-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Our play kitchen's sink can hold water. In fact the sink is actually removable so you can fill, empty or clean it out. However, I'd never in a million years clue my DDs in to the fact it could actually hold water!

The Review Mommy
11-17-2008, 05:19 PM
If you'd like some info on Step2 kitchens feel free to PM me through the boards. I have both wood and plastic kitchen so I can compare the two. But I also know WAY too much about play kitchens. ;)

Water Play and kids should be done outside, in the bath tub, or at the kitchen sink. Just MO! Let DC help you with cleaning up YOUR dishes instead.