PDA

View Full Version : What type of stand do you have for your flat screen TV?

HIU8
11-15-2008, 11:41 PM
We are getting a 46 inch flat screen TV (finally coming out of the dark ages) and we are looking for a TV stand (not a wall unit). Our family room cannot take a wall unit where the TV will go. We have looked at Salamander 30 inch high x 65 inch wide. We would most likely go with a dark cherry and black or chesnut/walnut and black (we have a very dark mantel and a matching built in on another wall). We also looked at crate and barrel, IKEA, craftsman and pottery barn. We didn't see anything we liked with those so far. I realize that the stand will most likely end up being almost as much as the TV. Any other brands we should look at? (BTW, we are replacing a black balsa wood and melamine stand from Target that has black cardboard stapled to the back of it).

LD92599
11-16-2008, 12:55 AM
We just bought a piece made by Riverside Furniture. We bought it at a local furniture shop.

http://www.riverside-furniture.com/default.asp

There's a ton of options these days since flat screens have become more & more mainstream. We also looked in Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Ethan Allen, Raymour & Flanigan, etc. Basically every big name furniture store around here. Walked into the local furniture place, saw exactly what we wanted and bought it on the spot.

Good luck!

Laura

MMMommy
11-16-2008, 01:12 AM
We discovered that our Pottery Barn Sumatra coffee table worked perfectly as a tv stand. Not only does it hold our flat screen tv, but it also holds our DVD player in the compartment underneath the top. So my recommendation would be a simple coffee table with a built-in shelf or compartment underneath that is open on each side. Here is an online pic I found of the Sumatra table (as an example):

http://alkoliba.com/projects/garageSale/tableDesk3a.html

BillK
11-16-2008, 10:36 AM
We have an older version BDI Vista stand. Our's has squareish shelving and legs on the bottom rather than the round base like the new one. Love it. BDI stuff in general is super high quality and very well thought out and engineered.

http://bdiusa.com/avfurniture/vista_9960.shtml

http://bdiusa.com/avfurniture/images/vista_9960.jpg

bluestarfish18
11-16-2008, 10:39 AM
We use a stand that the TV store provided in a package. It's specially made for the flat screen, complete with holes/screws to safely attatch our investment.

Melaine
11-16-2008, 10:44 AM
We actually use a narrow desk. I like the height of it better than many of the stands we saw at stores.

irie i
11-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Sounds like you have your heart set on a stand but I fully recommend a wall mount. They take up no space at all and are so convenient...you can swivel and tilt your television. I can watch the television in the living room from the kitchen.

egoldber
11-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I would also highly recommend a wall mount. A HDTV weighs a lot less than a standard TV and can be easily knocked off of a stand. Also, the screen is much more fragile and easily damaged. I'd get up and out of the way of inquisitive little hands.

HIU8
11-17-2008, 02:37 PM
We need something to house the DVD player, the DVD's and the videos (we have over 100 of them). Plus we need something to set the speakers for the surround sound on (if we don't get speakers the way the room is set up it is very hard to hear the TV). So, while we might mount the actual TV on the wall (still undecided), we still need something to place all the other stuff on so the kids can't get into it.

irie i
11-17-2008, 03:04 PM
We need something to house the DVD player, the DVD's and the videos (we have over 100 of them). Plus we need something to set the speakers for the surround sound on (if we don't get speakers the way the room is set up it is very hard to hear the TV). So, while we might mount the actual TV on the wall (still undecided), we still need something to place all the other stuff on so the kids can't get into it.

*nods* We installed the speakers INTO the walls and ceiling for true surround sound and have all equipment on a very short but long entertainment center stand thingie. Our tv is installed over the fireplace and the stand is tucked neatly against the wall between the fireplace and the wall. Thinking about it now we will have to get another stand or install doors with child safety latches onto the one we have...because ours is currently open-faced...NOT child friendly. lol.

HIU8
11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I want to install over the fireplace, but it would have to be near the ceiling and it is on a brick wall. DH doesn't want that. We have another wall to put it on. The speakers can also be mounted on the wall as far as I'm concerned. It's DH who is having coniptions about this. Plus, we need something the kids cannot get into without us (one company we looked at offers locks on their stands). DH wants the TV by Thanksgiving (yeah, ok), so we are really searching for something. We may look into IKEA as well.

BillK
11-17-2008, 04:49 PM
I want to install over the fireplace, but it would have to be near the ceiling and it is on a brick wall. DH doesn't want that. We have another wall to put it on. The speakers can also be mounted on the wall as far as I'm concerned. It's DH who is having coniptions about this. Plus, we need something the kids cannot get into without us (one company we looked at offers locks on their stands). DH wants the TV by Thanksgiving (yeah, ok), so we are really searching for something. We may look into IKEA as well. Have you ever actually sat at someone's house with a TV mounted above the fireplace and watched it? I have and I find it horribly uncomfortable and unnatural - neck strain'wise. A TV should optimally be mounted at eye level - or just slightly above eye level - otherwise you end up with a sore neck. That's my opinion at least - I'm sure there are those that are fine with TV's mounted up high like that. Wall mounts are cool - but when you start putting them up high - things just get unnatural to me when it comes to viewing.

In addition to that - it's kind of a chore to get a nice clean wall mount install unless you are handy that way - or don't mind spending the money to have a home theater installer do it right and run all cabling behind the wall - as well as get the proper electrical outlet (for the TV) installed on the wall where the TV will be mounted. If you want to do that - and have an area for it - I've seen people put really nice rack mount shelving on the wall (or even build a nice concealed closet with ventilation) for the components and such so they're up and away from little fingers (or entirely hidden if you go the closet route). If you don't go all out on a wall mount on the install - you'll still end up with lots of cabling hanging down below the TV which is still unsafe with kids - and looks not so great.

For me - with the stand we have - a plain old $65 Superyard XT wraps around it nicely and no little fingers can get into it.

http://btz.smugmug.com/photos/419193884_H382D-L.jpg

MelissaTC
11-17-2008, 05:23 PM
We bought a 52" Sony fancy schmancy (DH bought- I just agreed) and he did not want it wall mounted. We have a 32" in our bedroom that is wall mounted and it works better for us in there. For our family room, we bought a beautiful console piece at Costco. It fits the tv perfectly and is also a great piece of furniture.

HIU8
11-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Bill, where do you keep DVD's etc...? We wanted a cabinet for that and the player and a place to put the surround sound speakers (at least 2 of them). We can't go above the fireplace b/c it's brick anyway. I found a system that sits on the floor and the TV is mounted on two rods that come out of the stand (sort of like it was sitting on the stand). That is one we might consider.

The wall we would put the stand/tv on backs to our garage. I have no problem drilling holes to hide wires. Never thought about the playyard gate around things....good idea. Where are all your wires-behind the unit and against it?

BillK
11-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Bill, where do you keep DVD's etc...? We wanted a cabinet for that and the player and a place to put the surround sound speakers (at least 2 of them). We can't go above the fireplace b/c it's brick anyway. I found a system that sits on the floor and the TV is mounted on two rods that come out of the stand (sort of like it was sitting on the stand). That is one we might consider.

The wall we would put the stand/tv on backs to our garage. I have no problem drilling holes to hide wires. Never thought about the playyard gate around things....good idea. Where are all your wires-behind the unit and against it?

We have a nice cheapo genuine imitation naugahyde ottoman with storage in it for dvd's etc (from Target) - that BDI has a wire management system in the back where all the cords and cables are hidden from view.