PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a train table?

jillc
11-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi All,

DS turns two next month & we're going to get him a wooden train set. We actually picked up a basic Thomas one at Target today, but after looking around online a bit, I think I'll return it & grab a Kidkraft set instead. More bang for the buck that way.

DH doesn't think we need a train table & I'm wondering if we're nuts to get a train set w/o a train table. We do have a large coffee table that we could use to set up trains & also a lot of floor space. I think DH is afraid of a big table taking up a ton of room in our family room (which is spacious). And also probably thinks it's not worth spending the $. He's doesn't have the bug to shop yet! But I've got it!

If I think this is something that DS will want to play with frequently, should I scope out a bargain on a table, or will floor/coffee table be sufficient?

Thanks!
Jill

annasmom
11-16-2008, 08:24 AM
I hate to be a killjoy, but I would skip the train table unless you know your ds is going to really love trains.

I bought the Kidkraft train table set 3 years ago for my dd and ds for Christmas and I must say it was a total dud. Thankfully my ds#2 is showing some interest in trains, so it might not be a complete loss for me.

If this is your ds's first train set, I would just get him a basic set for now and see how he likes it.

And, on a side note, it has gotten good reviews, but I really did not like the quality of the Kidkraft train set at all. We had broken engines on Christmas morning. I ended up buying a simple Thomas figure eight set, and chucked the entire Kidkraft set except for the track.

BeachBum
11-16-2008, 08:38 AM
My DS is 3, and he is getting a Nilo activity table for christmas this year. He has never gotten bitten by the train bug, so we didn't bother with a table. I regret it, and wish I would have gotten at table when he was about 2.

What I've realized from watching my child play, and talking with some teachers is that he plays better/ longer when he can walk around the table. This helps him to access all parts of his toy, and burn off some of that anxious energy. He is constantly in motion and being about to move about while engaging in pretend play really works for him. The teachers I spoke with echoed this thought and said they see the same theory at work in their classrooms.

While I do see us setting our train things up on occasion, he is into other things like Mighty world,and Playmobile which will be the primary purpose of the table. I think he will eventually be into legos and blocks which the table will also work nicely for.

Good Luck with your decision!

jillc
11-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Ladies, for your responses. Ok, we bought the Thomas Figure 8 set yesterday & am now second guessing my plan to return it & purchase the more cost-effective Kidkraft set.... it would really be a shame if it started falling apart... Anyone else have the same experience that annasmom did with the kidkraft train stuff falling apart?

You know, I think my active DS would play longer if he were able to walk around a table while doing so, too. He has loved playing at the train table at the bookstore & walked around to access all areas. Seemed to hold his attention. That is a great point, Beachbum. Thank you.

Thanks again, Ladies. Still hoping for more responses to help me make these oh-so-important train decisions!

Best,
Jill

C99
11-16-2008, 11:25 AM
I had the opposite experience as Annasmom -- maybe it's because my eldest is a boy, but we bought DS1 a train table at just before 2 and he seriously played with it every.day until he was over 4, when we moved it because of space constraints (we do not have a spacious living room).

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2008, 11:44 AM
I think the train tables are unnecessary and limiting. I think that to have to build in those constraints isn't very fun.

I think your plan to use the coffee table is just fine.

Your ds will have more fun at the bookstore and such because the table will be a novelty. :)

Be careful with the wooden trains as they are almost all rated over 3 for choking hazards. Sets like Geotrax are more age appropriate.

Beth

KrisM
11-16-2008, 12:02 PM
I think the train tables are unnecessary and limiting. I think that to have to build in those constraints isn't very fun.

I think this is very age-dependent. DS loved the train table at age 2 as he had a hard time making layouts and not knocking them down. Now, at 4.5, he rarely uses it as he prefers much bigger layouts that take up the entire family room.

As for them being 3+, I think it's because if they fall apart, there are small pieces. We've never had a problem. But, DS got the Geo Trax Grand Central Station, which is either 18 months or 2 and up and it comes with pieces that we put away because they're too small IMO (the people who ride in the engine).

Ceepa
11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
We skipped the train table, totally unnecessary. We set up on a low coffee table or even sometimes on the floor and it was great. If you want one, also check CL because people are always getting rid of them as DC outgrow them.

brittone2
11-16-2008, 01:21 PM
We've been happy with our KidKraft table. I knew in advance that the actual train set that comes with it is not great quality (based on past reviews) and adjusted my expectations accordingly. DS is pretty gentle with toys, and he still plays with the parking garage that came with our set (2-3 years ago). We still use the track. We got rid of most of the trains and other destinations.

The table with the trundles was $130, which IIRC was what the table alone was selling for at many online retailers. So I considered the table plus trundles a nice deal (and the train set was just an extra, and I didn't have high expectations as I said).

DS played almost exclusively with his train table and kitchen from age 2-3. After age 3 it got less play. DD is about to turn 2 and they are starting to use it again together (DS is 4.5). I keep unit blocks and train stuff in the trundles. DS was not quite 2 when he got it, and he wasn't that excited about it initially...which surprised me. He always loved the train tables at B&N, etc. But within a few months, that and the kitchen occupied most of his time during the day.

If you have a big coffee table you can always skip the table initially and see if you miss it. If you aren't missing it, you have your answer. That said, I don't regret purchasing ours. It can also be nice for Lego, Playmobil, dollhouse play, etc. as they get older. (and storage for those items as well).

I personally don't have a dedicated playroom, etc. and I hate having a ton of toys on the floor, and I personally find the trundles and table help get some of it up and off the table.

new_mommy25
11-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Our train table was the best money we could have spent. We got it when DS was 15 months and he played with it every single day for the next several years. He loved trains more than any other toy. As he got older his train sizes did increase and he started making tracks on the ground. But by then the table was also being used for Hotwheels, Plan City, Lincoln Logs, Doll House and so forth. Now my DS is 5 and the train table has turned into the Lego table. He does all his building on the table and it really helps us keep the small Lego pieces contained in one area. I don't regret buying the table one bit.

annasmom
11-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Well, you obviously got a lot of different responses, lol!! Sorry to confuse you!!

Can you take your ds to a toy store or bookstore that has a train table set up and see if he like it before buying??

I would never say that train tables are in and of themselves a bad purchase. I have lots of friends who have dc who LOVE their trains and table - mine just didn't. I just wish I had waited to see if they had liked trains before making such a big purchase.