PDA

View Full Version : For those who used Tiny Love Mobiles...

irie i
11-16-2008, 06:14 AM
I am starting to really fall in love with them and am totally reconsidering the nursery theme (Fisher Price Rainforest).

What nursery theme/bedding did you use with your Tiny Love mobile? :)

PS: I'm having a boy. :)

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2008, 09:40 AM
It went great with the solid blue sheets I picked out. :) No bedding set here and didn't miss it.

Remember that the mobile part will at most be used till 4-6m so don't let it dictate what bedding you choose. You'll have the bedding longer. So, if it clashes violently it's only for a little while.

Beth

Clarity
11-16-2008, 11:07 AM
So, if it clashes violently it's only for a little while.
Beth

:yeahthat:

We had the ABC bedding from PBK so it clashed temporarily. And, I second Beth...skip the bedding sets. It's the first piece of advice I give all of my friends. Total waste of money. Shouldn't use the bumpers, can't use the blankets...buy some nice sheets that go with the decor and call it a day.
Amy

amldaley
11-16-2008, 12:56 PM
I will add my voice to the chorus! DD adores both of her TL mobiles, and I could not imagine letting a mobile dictate decor.

I did not want a busy bedding set that might stimulate dd when the bed should be a restful place. We went with mostly solids colors, though we do have one sweet sheet from Carters that is white with tiny butterflies and we have butterflies elewhere in the room, too.

MontrealMum
11-16-2008, 01:30 PM
We don't have a specific theme to our nursery or a bedding set. Just a number of different flat sheets in a variety of soft blues, greens, and yellow - and we're really appreciating having bought so many of those now that we've been through so many different illnesses and massive molar teething recently. So easy just to pop a fresh one on and wait to do the laundry when I have more time.

The area rug in the nursery is an ivory Ikea rug with a bright pattern in multiple colors which harmonizes with DS' cream colored furniture and bright animals, as well as the mobile. You can see a picture of it (unfinished) in the nursery thread, though we hadn't bought the mobile at that point.

irie i
11-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Aww come on y'all are no fun! This is my first baby...forgive me if I want a sweet nursery that matches...regardless of how wasteful it might be! lol. And you *can* use the bumpers and the blankets...just not in the traditional sense. I will give this some thought...but I do have to admit that I have my heart set on having a nice, matching nursery for my son. We'll see what happens...

Clarity
11-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Well now I just feel bad. I'm not trying to suck the fun out of decorating your nursery...but I think I found after I went all out on my first was that I wish I hadn't. That's all. We decorated the walls with a cute little wall frieze like this one: http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/alphabet-wall-frieze. Got beautiful nursery furniture and spent several hundred dollars on bedding. I washed all the bedding put it all in the crib and took pictures of our adorable nursery. When I finally put my three month old sleeping baby in the crib for the night (instead of the bassinet by my bed) I took the bumpers out, the blanket out, the pillow out and put it all in storage. The only we still use 2 yrs later are the sheets! I even wish I hadn't bought nursery furniture, but instead invested in a nice, larger dresser set that she could really grow into. The drawers on the nursery furniture are quite shallow and small.
Anyway, these are just my thoughts...you are free to ignore them. :D

irie i
11-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Well now I just feel bad. I'm not trying to suck the fun out of decorating your nursery...but I think I found after I went all out on my first was that I wish I hadn't. That's all. We decorated the walls with a cute little wall frieze like this one: http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/alphabet-wall-frieze. Got beautiful nursery furniture and spent several hundred dollars on bedding. I washed all the bedding put it all in the crib and took pictures of our adorable nursery. When I finally put my three month old sleeping baby in the crib for the night (instead of the bassinet by my bed) I took the bumpers out, the blanket out, the pillow out and put it all in storage. The only we still use 2 yrs later are the sheets! I even wish I hadn't bought nursery furniture, but instead invested in a nice, larger dresser set that she could really grow into. The drawers on the nursery furniture are quite shallow and small.
Anyway, these are just my thoughts...you are free to ignore them. :D

Haha don't feel bad...although of course you cannot hear it my response was in a whiny but jokey tone. lol. I do think that, so far, I have saved a lot of money in my decision making. I chose an inexpensive but safe crib and a small dresser-type cubbyhole thingie that I am going to put baskets in to store his stuff. I have also been lucky enough to receive A TON of clothes and necessities from my family.

So I just wanted a little something cute to make the nursery all come together and I figured the best and least expensive (and least permanent, because we don't own the home we live in and I am trying to convince my Sweetie to move) way to do it would be with the bedding. :)

I had my heart set on the Rainforest theme from Fisher Price but then I fell in love with the Tiny Love mobile and have seen it recommended here time and again. Then again I still can't get over the idea I have had for years - that my first child would have an ocean-themed nursery...but I just can't find any bedding or mobiles that I like well enough...

Decisions, decisions...and when its all said and done my baby will probably barf all over everything and not give a crap one way or the other! lol

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Instead of focusing on a bedding set, how about working on things like a mural? You could really do to town with decorations around the room and cool painting. Have you looked through the archived nursery photos? There are some really creative, beautiful, finished looking nurseries that don't feature matching bedding sets. My ds1 has no exciting bedding, cute area rug or anything like that but his mural rocks and it's all he needs. :) Wallies and a bit of paint work great if you aren't able to handpaint one.

ETA_ I wanted to an ocean nursery too. I had Rainbow Fish bedding all picked out. Then I read "Rainbow Fish" and hated it so I scrapped that specific idea. Next thing you know, ds is 4m old and we just got around to painting and at 14m we moved. Needless to say we never did all the things I planned to do but he still had a fine little sleep environment. :)

Beth

irie i
11-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Instead of focusing on a bedding set, how about working on things like a mural? You could really do to town with decorations around the room and cool painting. Have you looked through the archived nursery photos? There are some really creative, beautiful, finished looking nurseries that don't feature matching bedding sets. My ds1 has no exciting bedding, cute area rug or anything like that but his mural rocks and it's all he needs. :) Wallies and a bit of paint work great if you aren't able to handpaint one.

ETA_ I wanted to an ocean nursery too. I had Rainbow Fish bedding all picked out. Then I read "Rainbow Fish" and hated it so I scrapped that specific idea. Next thing you know, ds is 4m old and we just got around to painting and at 14m we moved. Needless to say we never did all the things I planned to do but he still had a fine little sleep environment. :)

Beth

Because if I go to town painting the room then move a few months later that would suck and be a total waste of money. :( Thats another reason why I didn't go with the ocean theme...I had this glorious idea of making all the walls an ocean-themed mural but I am picky and wanted the creatures to all look real. That would mean having to stay here for a while AND having to pay a real professional to do it...neither of which I am willing to commit to! :)

army_mom
11-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I bought a bedding set because I thought it was cute and would make the nursery look so much nicer as we weren't doing a lot of painting (we're renting). DD is due in a few weeks and I already wish I didn't waste the money on the bedding set. You can't use the bumpers (they get in the way of the mobiles anyway and aren't safe) or the blanket right away. A few sheets and a valance would have been sufficient. Now I know for the next one! But honestly, I probably would have bought it anyway just because it is the first baby and I wanted it (at the time!).

I bought the tiny love mobile because I like the colors even though it doesn't match (a pastel girlie jungle theme is what we have) and I don't mind that it doesn't match because the mobile itself is so cute. The mobiles that match bedding sets looks cheap, are very basic in their amenities, and are expensive to boot! I am sure DD will love it regardless of the non matching decor!

irie i
11-17-2008, 12:44 AM
I bought a bedding set because I thought it was cute and would make the nursery look so much nicer as we weren't doing a lot of painting (we're renting). DD is due in a few weeks and I already wish I didn't waste the money on the bedding set. You can't use the bumpers (they get in the way of the mobiles anyway and aren't safe) or the blanket right away. A few sheets and a valance would have been sufficient. Now I know for the next one! But honestly, I probably would have bought it anyway just because it is the first baby and I wanted it (at the time!).

I bought the tiny love mobile because I like the colors even though it doesn't match (a pastel girlie jungle theme is what we have) and I don't mind that it doesn't match because the mobile itself is so cute. The mobiles that match bedding sets looks cheap, are very basic in their amenities, and are expensive to boot! I am sure DD will love it regardless of the non matching decor!

Yes as I said before I am aware that you cannot use the blanket or the bumper right away. I plan on using the blanket more decoratively and/or just when I am holding the baby. :) Someone recommended several alternative uses for the bumper so I plan on doing that as well.

Do you have the girl version of the Fisher Price Rainforest? I really like the neutral Rainforest mobile...I haven't seen the girly version though. Perhaps not because the mobile isn't expensive and it does have some pretty cool features (namely, ability to turn sound off and let mobile continue).

amldaley
11-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Aww come on y'all are no fun! This is my first baby...forgive me if I want a sweet nursery that matches...regardless of how wasteful it might be! lol. And you *can* use the bumpers and the blankets...just not in the traditional sense. I will give this some thought...but I do have to admit that I have my heart set on having a nice, matching nursery for my son. We'll see what happens...

Please don't misunderstand, I am all for a decorated nursery - that is half the fun! Plus, YOU have to look at it and spend a lot of time in there - it should be a place that is appealing to you.

I am just opposed to over-priced bedding sets! I prefer solid color bedding as it goes with everything, and should 1 piece get ruined, it can easily be replaced.

ahrimie
11-17-2008, 01:12 PM
hi! i had the tiny love mobile... and i picked a unisex color, bordering more a boy color bc i didn't know i'd be having a girl at the time. i didn't buy a bedding set... i bought them all separately from the pbk outlet so that i could mix and match. our bedding was mostly white with light pink checkers... it's pretty plain and simple. instead, i decorated more wlth stuffed animals and a big bright rug from ikea.

thewebbie
11-18-2008, 02:42 AM
I knew that a bedding set is a total waste. I decorate with a custom ordered quilt, that is full size, hung on the wall. It is expensive, but I plan to use it beyond the baby years. I also have a matching toddler bed size quilt and throw pillows, that I will put on the glider; it is even large enough for me to use while nursing my baby :) It is a cute cottage look.

For the sheets, I will use the functional Quickzip sheets. I am also adding a crib skirt and a traditional bumper in colors (bought them a la carte) that coordinate with the quilts. I don't plan on using the bumper when the baby is there, it is just for photos; was going to skip it but couldn't make myself do it.

My nursery doesn't come from one set, but they coordinate. My husband and I do not like a matchy.

I am likely to get a tiny love mobile also, and am aware that the color will be somewhat loud. It doesn't bother me a bit, it may even add a character :)

army_mom
11-22-2008, 12:57 AM
A sort of jungle theme tiny love mobile.

I just saw it on the tiny love website but haven't seen it in a store yet.

It looks very cute!!

http://www.tinylove.com/toy.aspx?toyId=217&state=toyTypeId=13@elementId=0@ageId=0

irie i
11-22-2008, 01:04 AM
A sort of jungle theme tiny love mobile.

I just saw it on the tiny love website but haven't seen it in a store yet.

It looks very cute!!

http://www.tinylove.com/toy.aspx?toyId=217&state=toyTypeId=13@elementId=0@ageId=0

I KNOW! It's cute I saw that one...but now I think I am changing my mind again and doing an ocean theme!! LOL I'm soooo all over the place.

Tondi G
11-22-2008, 02:10 AM
we had this mobile and the crib had PBK bright stripes patchwork bumper and pirate themed sheets since he was sharing a room with his big bro! My older DS had the bright stripes quilt on his twin bed and also had the pirate sheets. I also had all the sheets from my 1st DS as well (a fish theme and a space theme). It all worked together nicely!

I like the PBK ABC nursery bedding. Our friends have the quilt and sheets for their DS's big boy bed and it's really cute!

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/fd2570/index.cfm?pkey=cboys%2Dnursery%2Dbedding%7Cb

amldaley
11-22-2008, 12:17 PM
I knew that a bedding set is a total waste. I decorate with a custom ordered quilt, that is full size, hung on the wall. It is expensive, but I plan to use it beyond the baby years. I also have a matching toddler bed size quilt and throw pillows, that I will put on the glider; it is even large enough for me to use while nursing my baby :) It is a cute cottage look.

For the sheets, I will use the functional Quickzip sheets. I am also adding a crib skirt and a traditional bumper in colors (bought them a la carte) that coordinate with the quilts. I don't plan on using the bumper when the baby is there, it is just for photos; was going to skip it but couldn't make myself do it.

My nursery doesn't come from one set, but they coordinate. My husband and I do not like a matchy.

I am likely to get a tiny love mobile also, and am aware that the color will be somewhat loud. It doesn't bother me a bit, it may even add a character :)

oooh! QuckZip sheets! They have been running sales lately! Gotta love how functional they arre!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlisonJ
11-23-2008, 03:03 PM
I used a Tiny Love Symphony in Motion Mobile for my son - it was great - I def. recommend it. The colors were turquoise, lime, orange and a little fushia. I didn't use a bedding set for my son - like the other posters, to me, they were a waste of money. I made a window valance and fleece lined blanket which I threw over my glider back in a fun print I liked at the fabric store. Then, I painted the walls a vibrant light tiffany blue until about 5' up the wall, then a navy horizontal stripe and above that, my DH painted 3 elephants (a mama, dada and baby) in a line, holding onto each other's tails. All the paint colors we used, we pulled from the fabric. The mobile didn't "match" but it coordinated and matchy-matchy isn't my look. Plus, like the pp said, the mobile will be taken out by 6 months so don't base you theme on it. Good luck!