PDA

View Full Version : I'm totally obsessed with "How It's Made."

Fairy
11-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Anyone else? When this is on, i just cannot look away. It doesn't matter if they're making electrical panels, hard candies, hot tubs, fiberglass boats, baseboard heaters, golf balls ... if it's on, I cannot NOT watch it. Anyone else?

LBW
11-16-2008, 12:15 PM
My husband and oldest son LOVE this show. It drives me crazy! We don't have cable anymore, so to their dismay, they no longer get to watch it.

bluestarfish18
11-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Another fanatic here. I used to drool at the sight of crayons being made on Mr Roger's Neighborhood, and now salivate over How It's Made and Unwrapped.

ellies mom
11-16-2008, 02:03 PM
I really enjoy that show also. I used to fix machines so I have a soft spot for them. Some are just beautiful to watch in motion and then the music they play just makes it even better.

I thought we'd like the "Deconstructed" show but whenever they do electronics stuff they skip or gloss over things too much for the husband's taste.

sue_g
11-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Anyone else? When this is on, i just cannot look away. It doesn't matter if they're making electrical panels, hard candies, hot tubs, fiberglass boats, baseboard heaters, golf balls ... if it's on, I cannot NOT watch it. Anyone else?

What station is this show on and when? It sounds very interesting.

almostamom
11-16-2008, 02:40 PM
I've only watched it a few times, but I do enjoy it. I also like "Unwrapped" about how different food products are made.

Emmas Mom
11-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Oh yeah, I don't watch it regularly but if I'm flipping channels & it's on I'm always fascinated. Very cool to see how some of the things are made. I liked the one on the padlocks.

sdjeppa
11-16-2008, 02:43 PM
This is one our favorite shows around our house - DS could watch it for hours :)

Jenny, Mommy to Z 9-27-03

egoldber
11-16-2008, 02:48 PM
LOL! I went through a phase of obsession with Unwrapped and How It's Made. I used to work in manufacturing and it gave me all sorts of warm fuzzies. :)

What really struck me was how similar manufacturing is for so many processes from Hershey bars to high tech plastics.

fortato
11-16-2008, 02:51 PM
We love that show... all of them have been fascinating...except the one where they show how they raise chickens for places like Purdue..that one was hard to watch.

shawnandangel
11-16-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure it's on Discovery Channel. My husband loves this show! The only one I was ever interested in was how they made hockey pucks. I love hockey!

The show I really like is Dirty Jobs!

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
How'd that Get on My Plate on Food TV is one of ds1's favorite shows right now. I'll look up "How It's Made" asap!

Beth

Fairy
11-16-2008, 07:32 PM
We love that show... all of them have been fascinating...except the one where they show how they raise chickens for places like Purdue..that one was hard to watch.

I cried. I knew what was coming and watched it anyway. Idiot.

Fairy
11-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes, it's on Discovery, but it's also on The Science Channel. They'll often run three or four in a row, and then you can flip to Discovery (I think?), and you'll get at least one or two there, too. I've never sat thru a marathon, but the other night after DS was in bed, I did get quite a fix.

s7714
11-16-2008, 07:34 PM
How'd that Get on My Plate on Food TV is one of ds1's favorite shows right now. I'll look up "How It's Made" asap!

Beth

I just started TIVOing the My Plate ones! We saw the beginning of the egg one at the tale end of a Good Eats episode and my DDs were practically glued to the screen.

How It's Made and Unwrapped have been favorites of ours for quite a while. My DDs seem to find How It's Made totally amazing, even when they have no idea what the thing-a-ma-jig they're making actually is! My favorite episodes so far have been the ones where they're making musical instruments--I just find that so fascinating!

clc053103
11-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Another fanatic here. I used to drool at the sight of crayons being made on Mr Roger's Neighborhood, and now salivate over How It's Made and Unwrapped.

OMG me too!!! I site that episode of Mr. Rogers every time I bother DH to take a trip to the crayola factory!!!

And I love Unwrapped too!

bubbaray
11-16-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm pretty sure its the same "How Its Made" that is on the Discovery Channel Canada -- its a Canadian show, IIRC produced in Quebec. Mark Tewksbury (Canadian swimmer) used to host it.

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_It's_Made

Hilarious. They use a different host to "voice over" the Canadian narrator(s). That's too funny. And, they subtitle the conversion to US units.

bluestarfish18
11-16-2008, 09:30 PM
OMG me too!!! I site that episode of Mr. Rogers every time I bother DH to take a trip to the crayola factory!!!

And I love Unwrapped too!

Are we long lost twins?! And you're telling me there's a Crayola factory tour we can take?!!!! What have I been doing with the past 26 years of my life? Where is this glorious place? I must go there!

bubbaray
11-16-2008, 09:31 PM
And you're telling me there's a Crayola factory tour we can take?!!!! What have I been doing with the past 26 years of my life? Where is this glorious place? I must go there!

Its in PA somewhere -- it was on a Jon & Kate episode! :)

maestramommy
11-16-2008, 09:48 PM
I was flipping channels once and found it by accident. They were making nylon stockings, then they were making florescent lightbults. So cool!

fortato
11-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Ok-- Tonight they made Zippers.... I haven't seen that one, and Jack and I sat on the couch, eyes glued to the set....
Really... Zippers kept us that entertained.

trentsmom
11-17-2008, 12:16 AM
I've been sucked in during the 11PM showings when I really should be sleeping! But it's just so cool to watch. :p