PDA

View Full Version : S/O kindergarten dilemma

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Ds2 has a Dec. b-day and cut offs are 9/1 here. So, he will be starting the 3's program when he is not quite 3, 4's then pre-k at a fabulous, play based school. After that he will need to go on to kindergarten and as of now the plan is to send him to the charter school ds1 is going to (provided things keep going well there). The charter school will probably have a waiting list (it does now and that is the norm for charters in my city) but because he is a sibling he will have a spot. I verified that he will have a space even if he doesn't go there for kindergaten- the spot will be there whenever.

My problem is that I do not like the kindergarten program at the charter school because it is way too academic. If I toured it back when I was looking at schools for ds1 I would have written it off. I have no problem with a more academic focus in 1st+ but I do not like it for kindergarten. I want kids to have centers, recess, and lots of time for play. That is what he will be getting at his pre-k.

Now, my question (thanks if you are still here!), should I find a different kindergarten for him and send him to the charter school for 1st? Or suck it up because he will have that great pre-k year and just have to accept that his kindergarten won't be the fun place I want it to be? I have 5 years to decide but I am thinking about it already. :)

WWYD?
Beth

alexsmommy
11-16-2008, 06:17 PM
With that "early" b-day, he may be very much ready for a more academic program. DS1 has a Feb b-day and did three years of preschool. He was bored to tears by the last six months and was very ready for kindergarten. He is so happy to be challenged now and wishes he had all day K. I'm worried for DS2 because he is a July baby and by the time he starts our school will have gone to all day K. Whereas DS1 could more than handle full day right now, I'm much more concerned how DS2 will fair being younger. I wouldn't write if off the charter's K just yet - I'd wait and see if your son is actually craving a more academic setting by then.

kransden
11-16-2008, 06:52 PM
I am confused. Is he starting the kinder when he is 4 or 5? If he will be 5, then he'll be fine in an academic kinder. If he is 4, maybe. But if you switch, he'll might have a hard time keeping up in the more academic program.

Tondi G
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Personally.... I would stick with the Charter school. Start him at the same time all the other kids will be starting in Kindergarten! He'll do fine with a little more academic Kinder..... I'd hate for him to come into 1st not having had the same preparation all the other kids had in the Charter K.

mecawa
11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
I would send him to preschool and prek in the school that you like, if you don't like that K then I would definitely not send him to that one, find another one and then send him to that school for 1st grade. I just think if your not happy with it or not comfortable with it then don't do it.

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2008, 07:21 PM
He'll be 6 when it is time for kindergarten.

Even though the charter school is more academic I think he would not be behind in first even w/o an academic k background. Ds1 went to a very developmental, play based program where they never did a single worksheet or really sat down and "learned" but he was ready for 1st without a problem.

Lots of time to decide. I just have been bummed thinking that my perfectly laid plan might not work out. :)

Beth

egoldber
11-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I would just wait and see. You never know. What is a good fit for one child may not be for another.

But I am with you on this. Amy's birthdya is 2 weeks after the school cut off. At first I was thrilled because I agonized so much about Sarah, whose birthday is a few weeks before the cutoff. But I am now realizing there is no perfect. I think Amy will be VERY ready for the all day K that I thought was too much for Sarah. So you just never know.

bubbaray
11-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I'd send him to the Charter school. At nearly 6, I think he'll be ready for a more academic K program.