PDA

View Full Version : How old to answer phone?

Ceepa
11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
I was surprised when calling someone's house the other day and her DD answered the phone. I grew up never answering the phone, but I was petrified to talk to strangers, too. :) I don't mind if the child is older, polite and competent enough to handle it, but sometimes a friend's child picks up and kinda squeaks out a hello and then there is a looong pause and *maybe* the phone eventually makes it to mom. I personally don't like the idea of my DC answering the phone until they're much older.

kijip
11-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I say no sooner than they can actually say hello, listen to who they need to talk to and hand off the phone. I am guessing that is sometime in elementary school.

Corie
11-16-2008, 09:58 PM
My DD answers the phone occasionally. She is almost 7 yrs. old.

I ALWAYS check the caller id first to see who is calling and she has
to ask me first. (She can't just pick it up.)

She likes to talk to my sister (her aunt) or my brother (her uncle).

She only talks for a couple of minutes and then passes it to me.

Sugar Magnolia
11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Ds1 answers the phone. But we are a cell phone only household and he only answers if he knows the caller.

hillview
11-16-2008, 10:03 PM
I think it totally depends on the logistics. If you can BOTH answer the phone. If you have caller ID. If you are right there when DC answers.
/hillary

kep
11-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Luke is 5. He has been answering the phone for 6 months-1 year. We practiced, practiced, practiced role-playing proper phone etiquette.

Luke: Hello?

Random Caller: Hi, may I talk with your Mom?

Luke: Yes, one moment please.

*trained to run and quietly bring portable phone to me.

Honestly he does great. Usually it's Grandma or Nana calling when he answers, but he has done great fielding "real" phone calls as well.

I think that it's not so much about age as maturity, and having demonstrated the ability to use correct manners.

Edited to add: I also highly stressed not giving out any personal information or info on location over the phone. He is allowed to say "This is Luke" if asked, but that's all. :)

MelissaTC
11-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I am paranoid so I only let him answer if we know who it is on the other end like DH, Grandparents, Aunts, etc...

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I have a 6yo and I wouldn't let him answer the phone unless I checked the caller ID first.

Beth

billysmommy
11-16-2008, 10:46 PM
We used to not let Billy answer the phone at home however....

Billy answered one of the phones at our office a few months ago. He was playing on the computer in the back room and there was a phone on the desk there. Our receptionist was on a call and didn't answer right away ~ so the phone in the back will start to ring if the call doesn't get picked up. DH was with a patient and I was at the front desk speaking with someone. I heard Billy say "just a minute please" and then come to the front desk and asked the receptionist if there was an appt available at 1:00 today as someone needed to come in and be seen.
I went back and picked up the phone to help the person and she said that a very polite young man had answered the phone and asked if he could help her. She said she wanted to make an appt for 1:00 that day if there was something open and then he told her just a minute please.

DH and I were amazed at how well he did. It's amazing how much he picked up just by being there and listening to everyone. So now we do let him answer the phone at home and he does a great job

MamaMolly
11-17-2008, 01:20 AM
I was maybe 4 or 5. I clearly remember my mom sitting me down with the (black, rotary dial!!) phone to teach me how to use it. She unplugged it so we could practice. I was scared and THRILLED. I find I still use the same 'script', it is almost instinctive, at this point! To this day I get compliments for my 'phone manners'.
Thanks Mom!

BeachBum
11-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Eh, I guess I'm an annoying one. My DS is 3 and he can answer the phone whenever he wants. Typically only DH, my mom and telemarketers call our house (vs cell) so it just doesn't seem to be an issue.

CiderLogan
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
We let our 5yo answer if it's a grandparent.