PDA

View Full Version : Recommend block set for 19 month old?

junebaby07
11-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Could someone recommend a nice block set for a 19 month old that is less than $50? Considering unit blocks or maybe some Haba blocks?

Is it better to get plan wood or colored blocks?

It would be a bonus if the blocks came in some type of storage crate or bag.

Thanks!

brittone2
11-17-2008, 12:30 AM
We have a mix of blocks, but for long term use, etc. I think unpainted hold up better and are generally nicer.

We have two sets from Melissa and Doug (sometimes AC Moore and Michaels carry these and you can use a 40% off coupon). They are unpainted rubberwood. They get mixed reviews here overall, but we've been really happy with them. We also added some previously loved blocks from ebay to that mix and the kids get a lot of play out of all of it.

I am not sure about the price but Maplelandmark has some new unpainted alphabet blocks that look cute (I was at their site earlier today). Barclay woods and Maplelandmark's unit blocks get good reviews but they are expensive. I'd check out Melissa and Doug's unit blocks with your budget. Start with one set and see how interested DC is.

mommabear
11-17-2008, 12:53 AM
We have lots of blocks including some Haba. My son does enjoy the Haba but his favorite have been these foam blocks

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3207529

neeleymartin
11-20-2008, 09:46 PM
We have two sets from Melissa and Doug (sometimes AC Moore and Michaels carry these and you can use a 40% off coupon). They are unpainted rubberwood. They get mixed reviews here overall, but we've been really happy with them. We also added some previously loved blocks from ebay to that mix and the kids get a lot of play out of all of it.

just bought these. i assume they are the 60 block set with the storage box. wondering if the blocks EVER fit back into the box for storage. they seem to fit in just exactly right now. this will drive me nuts. i am hoping that m&d put some filler cardboard in the bottom to make the box look full. i know this sounds wacky but, clearly i have issues. i haven't opened the box b/c it's a christmas present.

thanks in advance,
n

brittone2
11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
just bought these. i assume they are the 60 block set with the storage box. wondering if the blocks EVER fit back into the box for storage. they seem to fit in just exactly right now. this will drive me nuts. i am hoping that m&d put some filler cardboard in the bottom to make the box look full. i know this sounds wacky but, clearly i have issues. i haven't opened the box b/c it's a christmas present.

thanks in advance,
n

We've had our M&D unit blocks for so long I can't remember. You could try one of those bins that is bigger than a shoe box and smaller than a full-sized storage tote with snap handles, perhaps? We store our blocks in one of the train table trundle drawers. We also use a lot of baskets. I hope you find something that works. I doubt they'll store all that nicely back in the original box without you driving yourself insane!

junebaby07
11-21-2008, 01:28 PM
I ended up ordering the Plan Toys unit blocks from kidsurplus, so we'll see how it goes!