PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on ipod touch?

jess_g
11-17-2008, 08:26 AM
I am thinking of getting one today. Do you love yours or never use it? Will it work without a wireless connection at home? I would use it for music and and games from the app store and movies on the ariplane for our big once a year 8 hour trip to grandmas. I realy need something that I can use to listen to music in different rooms in the house as I work to get the house more organized for the upcomming holidays.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jessica.

WatchingThemGrow
11-17-2008, 09:02 AM
DH LOVES his, but he uses it on our wireless network - and everyone else's. If you just want music, a regular ipod would do the trick, right? The Touch is certainly cool. He plays with it all the time.

DH uses it when I run into a store and he's stuck with DC in the car. We love bowling and some of the other Apps.

SheriRae
11-17-2008, 09:04 AM
I absolutely L-O-V-E my iPod touch. We have wireless connection at home so I can't help you on that question. I love that I can pick up a wireless connection anywhere (that has it) and use the internet. I use it all the time when my daughter is in gymnastics....SO awesome!

I upgraded from one of the orginial iPod's so I love the bigger screen for movie watching on trips. I haven't really gotten into the apps yet, but I've browsed them and some of them look so fun!!

I don't think you'll regret purchasing one!!

M&Mmom
11-17-2008, 11:23 AM
What's the difference between the iPod Touch and the iPhone? DH mentioned last night that he might like an iPhone but we just upgraded our phones and so I was wondering if one is better than the other for the other apps.

WatchingThemGrow
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
The iPhone has the phone service - and I believe you have to go with AT&T, right? The Touch is cheaper and doesn't require any monthly contract. I don't know all the differences, but that's the gist of it.

Davids-Coco
11-17-2008, 12:15 PM
We have touches and iphones... we just got back from Disney with our DS who spent most of the flight both ways entertained by movies and tv shows we bought through the itunes store on the touch. It was wonderfully easy. The benefit to getting a touch over an ipod video (or whatever they call it now) is that the screen is bigger.

The touch and iphone work on what is basically the same platform. You can do a lot of the same things on them. The iphone is more expensive, requires AT&T phone service (with a mandatory data plan starting at $40/mo per phone on top of minutes plan), and is a little thicker in size. However, the benefit for us is that I am a mac user. We sync all our calendars and contacts to both iphones. I don't have to worry about my husband not remembering appointments and needed me to remind him.

But I wouldn't get the iphone unless you need a new phone too.

niccig
11-17-2008, 02:09 PM
The iPhone data plan starts at $30 a month on top of your calling plan. It allows you to access the Internet even when you're not near a WiFi spot. DH has his iPhone use WiFi first as it's faster, and if that's not available, it uses ATT EDGE. Apparently the iPhone needs to have Internet access constantly, even if you're not using the web browser, many of it's functions use the web. And some of the iPhone applications need Internet access to run.

I've been resisting the iPhone because of the data plan, but when I see what applications you can use, I'm getting tempted. I could look at an iTouch, but my phone is nearly dead, we already have ATT. Aggh, difficult decision.

graciebellesmomma
11-17-2008, 10:42 PM
If you can get an Iphone, get it. I have one and never use my ipod anymore. The Iphone has everything on it. Calendar, email, ipod, pictures, movies...it rocks!

ahrimie
11-17-2008, 10:54 PM
the only difference is the phone capabilities... if you can, i'd just get the iphone.

deannanb
11-18-2008, 12:11 AM
the iPhone also has a camera that the touch does not.

the cost of the iPhone is pricer than just a regular phone -
DH has the iPhone and LOVES it. I've dared him to get through one meal out of the house without bringing it out to show anyone - and he can't do it!

I don't really love my touch as much as I think I should.
(I have the older model without the speaker - can use headphones with)
I have a bunch of movies and apps on it - so DS does use it.

I need to start using all of the features - very much like a palm.

supercalifragilous
11-18-2008, 12:27 AM
I think/hope that the next version of the iTouch will include a camera... then I'll be SOLD!

jess_g
11-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I would love that too! I was sold when they added the speaker as I hate using headphones. I am going to go ahead and buy one today as I have been eyeing one for the last few months. It will be my first ipod!

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Jessica.