PDA

View Full Version : Observations from the Farm.

trales
11-17-2008, 05:18 PM
So . . . it seems to be the time of year that all kinds of things get skinned, killed, butchered and whacked. You know, the whole cycle of life thing, I get it, sort of, I appreciate it, sort of. It is so much better than just buying meat and not knowing where it came from or even what the animal looked like. But . . . .

Earl Butz (sorry Nixon fans). Earl is a 350 -400lb pig who lives up the lane. He and 4 of his litter mates arrived in early may. They have been surviving on pig feed, compost and all the produce and bread the local grocery store is throwing out. Earl's brothers went to slaughter nicely and quietly a few weeks ago. Earl was having no of it. He huffed, and bit, and bucked and would not be caught. Earl got left behind. Some nice new neighbors moved up from the city, they ride the bus to Boston with DH everyday. They bought a cookie cutter house, drive cookie cutter cars and seem afraid of the dark and woods. Imagine their surprise when Earl showed up in the garage and started eating everything in site. Earl was lured pack to his pen with a rotten grapefruit and the words "here piggy, piggy" Today was Earl's last day. Since he would not go quietly to slaughter, he was shot, quartered, loaded into the mini van and driven to the smoke house. Just as we happened to be walking by.

Bad chickens. One of our neighbors just had a baby, so her mother is here from China to help out and cook. Her husband calls the other night, can we bring DD over to play with their oldest DS, he needs a break from ma-ma as he has been driving all over town to meat packing plants to pick up the odds and ends she needs to make sausages and other things. Over we go. Ma-ma is out for a walk. Ma-ma does not speak a word of English. While he was out, his wife has called one of the local farms on our street to see if they had eggs. Nope, the chickens were not laying, they were going to get rid of the whole lot and get new ones this spring. Enter ma-ma, she wanted those chickens. Ma-ma walks back in the house with a sack over her shoulder that is moving and squaking, she grabs and cleaver and heads to the deck. The dog comes running in with a chicken foot, feathers are flying and chicken is for dinner.

Deer everywhere. I walk out the door this morning in my clothes for work, with DD in my arms. I look across the street and what do I see, I deer carcass hanging from a tree. Apparently, it was bagged this morning. DD starts yelling woof, woof and reaching out. My camo clad, large knife wielding neighbor yells, bring her over to pet the deer. Umm, no thanks. As I drive out, I see 4 more deer hanging from front porches.

Well DD, you get chickenless nuggets from Trader Joe's for lunch, and soy bacon for dinner.

That is fall at the farm.

Edited for spelling mistake.

ThreeofUs
11-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Ahh, country living! So much to enjoy, so much to miss.

You definitely live closer to what's real, though!

elephantmeg
11-17-2008, 08:59 PM
rotfl!!!!!!!!!!!! Good writing :)

trentsmom
11-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Well, I don't get to see as many fun things as you do, but there will be a dead deer in my garage tomorrow, strapped to the top of my car. DH went hunting today, and right now the deer is hanging up at his buddy's house. Mmm.

maestramommy
11-17-2008, 10:30 PM
:hysterical: I feel like such a city slicker where I am!

shawnandangel
11-17-2008, 10:43 PM
This makes me lol. My dad is a taxidermist. We raised deer growing up. (We did not kill them, they were for observation purposes for my dad's business)

On the other hand I can't believe he wanted your DD to pet a dead deer hanging from a tree. Yuck.

MamaKath
11-17-2008, 10:50 PM
This makes me lol. My dad is a taxidermist. We raised deer growing up. (We did not kill them, they were for observation purposes for my dad's business)

On the other hand I can't believe he wanted your DD to pet a dead deer hanging from a tree. Yuck.

LOL! My friend does taxidermy as a hobby. My kids never know what to think.

ITA about the neighbor wanting dd to pet the deer though. My kids still freak at the sight, however ds likes to eat venison. No he doesn't know what it is though. No spilling the beans either!

MamaMolly
11-18-2008, 12:00 AM
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your life on the farm posts! Even though I like to pretend my chicken came on a styrofoam tray covered in plastic 'cause that's the way God made them ;)

mama2g03
11-18-2008, 12:22 AM
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your life on the farm posts!
Me, too! I really think you should write a book. I would definitely buy it!

s7714
11-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Ah, reminds me of home, LOL!

Despite all that, I'd still love to live in the country again. We visited my parents this summer and one morning my 3 year old and my Dad went walking down the hill hand in hand towards some fruit trees. There was a deer standing there munching on fallen apples and my dad managed to persuade my DD to be quiet and slow enough she got within arms reach of the deer. They stood there eyeing each other for almost a minute before the deer bounded away. I had my camera in hand, but was so close to crying out of pure joy I totally missed the opportunity. Yes, the deer is probably hanging in someone's tree by now ;) , but I really, really miss things like that since I'm living in the 'burbs!

bubbaray
11-18-2008, 11:29 AM
OK, you totally crack me up!

happy2bamom
11-18-2008, 07:16 PM
I've always wanted to live on a farm, but I would want the animals as pets only. Not practical, I know, which is probably why we live in suburbia. I do feed the deer that frequent our backyard.

I also eat meat, I"m just in denial about where it originates.

Radosti
11-18-2008, 10:37 PM
I just looked out the window and there is a buck in my side yard, munching on grass and the pile of dry corn on the cob I left out for him. He and his family live in the area. I always see them picking apples off the neighbor's tree.