PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Back Pains in Lower Back in Third Trimester

arivecchi
11-17-2008, 05:30 PM
I am on my second pregnancy and have recently started experiencing very sharp bolt like pains from my lower back to the buttocks area. I do not remember having these in my first pregnany. They are so painful that I have to stop walking. I only get them on my left leg. I mentioned this to my doc today and she said it sounds normal and that it just probably muscular pain. Has anyone had these? Do they go away or do they just get worse until you deliver? Anything you can do to alleviate them?

Tondi G
11-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Sciatic probably. There isn't much you can do. You can try a chiropractor... it helped me during pregnancy. Heat and some massage may help too!

ThreeofUs
11-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I had these, too, but only if I wasn't paying attention to my posture. I did core exercises all the way through pg#2, and I swear that's the only thing that got me through.

A PT could help you with exercises that will re-align your body so you don't get the pain.

arivecchi
11-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

HIU8
11-18-2008, 02:48 PM
DD sat on sciatic nerve the entire third trimester. It started out painful enough. By a week before DD came (she was born at 38 weeks 1 day) I could not even walk 10 feet. I will never forget that feeling.

o_mom
11-18-2008, 03:17 PM
I would ask for a referral to a PT that specializes in pregnancy. I had pains like that with DS1 and just kept going thinking it was part of being pregnant. When it got to the point where I literally could not walk, I finally went to PT and within a week (2-3 visits) was mobile and off the narcotic pain meds. I wish I would have done it much sooner. With DS2 and DS3 I did the exercises at the first sign of pain and never had any major problems.

JoyNChrist
11-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I had this with DS, and also a lot of hip pain. I went to the chiropractor once a week for the last two months, and it worked wonders.