PDA

View Full Version : Help me stop procrastinating!

elektra
11-17-2008, 07:55 PM
So I work from home and I basically have my work PC to my right, and my Mac to my left. I do some work, do some calls, then look left about 100 times a day to check this board! Or surf the web or check email.
Part of the reason why it's gotten so bad is that I have been so nauseated the past month and a half that it was really hard for me to concentrate on work. But now I have developed some major bad habits that I need to break or else get fired!
I know I just need to get to work. I can probably just turn the mac off for starters (since I will be less inclined to mess around on my work computer). How do you all balance everything and still get done what you need to get done?
I kick myself every night at 5pm because the babysitter is leaving and I am nowhere near done.
This kind of thing gets worse for me near the holidays too, but there is so much work to still be done.

Melaine
11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't know. These forums/internet shopping etc. can just suck you in! I definitely do better on days I have lists and scheduled events that I have to work around. Also, getting a certain amount done before I check the boards helps. I don't work from home per se, I just have the girls to look after, the home, and some selling I do on the side. I really don't have much advice. I find it very difficult. I had a lot more time when we didn't have internet, but I can't bring myself to give it up.

gatorsmom
11-18-2008, 12:54 AM
So I work from home and I basically have my work PC to my right, and my Mac to my left. I do some work, do some calls, then look left about 100 times a day to check this board! Or surf the web or check email.
Part of the reason why it's gotten so bad is that I have been so nauseated the past month and a half that it was really hard for me to concentrate on work. But now I have developed some major bad habits that I need to break or else get fired!
I know I just need to get to work. I can probably just turn the mac off for starters (since I will be less inclined to mess around on my work computer). How do you all balance everything and still get done what you need to get done?
I kick myself every night at 5pm because the babysitter is leaving and I am nowhere near done.
This kind of thing gets worse for me near the holidays too, but there is so much work to still be done.

I struggle with this very often. I find that if I structure my day more closely then I'm more likely to stick to my schedule. When i get in trouble is when I just have a to-do list and assume that I'll tackle the next job when one is finished. That is when I procrastinate. But if I tell myself that I have 30 minutes to do project X followed by an hour for project Y , for some reason it motivates me to work hard so I can get stuff done within the allotted time.

I also find that music sometimes motivates me. Or if I'm angry I'm more likely to work harder. Strange but true. I dunno. Some days I just have to talk out loud to myself and tell myself that I MUST turn off the dang computer then force myself to do it. Like I get angry with myself and then I do it. I know that when I don't get enough done it makes me edgy and angry with myself and it comes out in my relationships. That knowledge also motivates me.

Wish I could help you more! if you find some magical formula pass it along, will ya? ;)

niccig
11-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Oh, I could have written your post. I procrastinate so much online. I have so many things to do around the house and I don't get to them. I know myself from study days, I'll waste time, then have to stay up late, and the next day I'm tired and grumpy, and that's not fair to DS. Or, he gets less time with me as I try to do things around his play that I should have done during nap time.

I may be working from home soon, so I'll be in the same position as you - lots of work to do and even less time to do it in. I have to become more disciplined.

I agree with the others that I do better on days when I'm more scheduled. Could you do up list night before and have it beside you, this works a bit for me. When I worked, email was such a time sucking and in a workshop we were told to check email at set times during the day, unless your work required otherwise. Maybe the same could work with the BBB, give yourself set times, and use a timer so you don't go over. Could you give yourself a reward, work for 2 hours then have 10 min break etc.

Good luck and let us know what works.