PDA

View Full Version : If she liked Twilight, what other books will she like?

JoyNChrist
11-18-2008, 01:49 AM
I need a Christmas gift for DH's 17-year-old cousin. When I asked what she wanted (since I don't get to see her often), she said that she loved the Twilight series and would like "more books like that".

Not really my favorite genre, so I'm not sure what I should get.

irie i
11-18-2008, 02:36 AM
I haven't read it but if you go to Amazon and search for the book you can look at:

Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
and
What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing This Item?

You can also read the product reviews for ideas. :)

fivi2
11-18-2008, 10:53 AM
It kind of depends which aspect of the books she liked... The romance aspect, the supernatural aspect, the thriller aspect... (I read the first and didn't care for it, but I read a lot of young adult fiction)

Libba Bray's trilogy starting with A Great and Terrible Beauty seems to get a lot of praise from people who liked Twilight

Holly Black's trilogy that starts with Tithe is sort of similar - a supernatural romance with fairies and not vampires

Scott Westerfeld's Uglies trilogy (I think there is actually a fourth book now) is not necessarily similar but a good YA series that may work out.

I will see what else I can think of. There are a lot of Twilight fans on MDC's book forum.

eta: These are all YA books, but I suppose some may have material some parents may not like... That said, if she read Twilight, I can't imagine these being any worse.

KrystalS
11-18-2008, 11:47 AM
If she liked the supernatural part of the book I just read a great YA book called Gone by Michael Grant. It's going to be series, I think the sequel comes out next summer. Theres a small romance aspect but not anything like Twilight because these kids are in their early teens.

Laurel
11-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I second the Libba Bray series.

She is old enough to read Anne Rice if she likes the vampire thing. However, you may not want to be the one to buy her those books as they are for adults.

My all-time favorite Young Adult series is by Megan McCafferty, the first book is called "Sloppy Firsts". It has a super hot boy (and a cult following) like Twilight.

fivi2
11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Oops - I forgot Melissa Marrs' books - so far she has done Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange. Again - fairies, not vamps, but they are pretty popular right now.

Fairy
11-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Big Big Huge Fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. It's Historical Fiction meets Romance meets Supernatural. It is addicting and you cannot put the book down.

A British couple in 1945 just after the war are finally taking their honeymoon at the husband's Scotish countryside estate. He's a historian, she's a nurse, she's very into botany and its healing aspects and is practically a paleo-botanist in her knowledge of plants. They're in love, that stage is set, they're happy. She walks into a set of standing stones (like mini-stonehenges, set thruout the British Isles) to look at a plant, and she "falls thru them" and ends up in Scotland in 1743. And it's about her life there and what happens to her, who she meets, etc. It is unbelievable. When I read it in my 20's, it was the romance to end all romances. GO RUN get it. It's long. In order, the books are:

Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn

And then there are others, but I admit, I lost interest after Drums.

MontrealMum
11-18-2008, 12:49 PM
These are older, but sci-fi/fantasy, with *some* romance in some of them, but not inappropriate for a teen: Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders series or Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series.

Fairy
11-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Big Big Huge Fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. It's Historical Fiction meets Romance meets Supernatural. It is addicting and you cannot put the book down.

A British couple in 1945 just after the war are finally taking their honeymoon at the husband's Scotish countryside estate. He's a historian, she's a nurse, she's very into botany and its healing aspects and is practically a paleo-botanist in her knowledge of plants. They're in love, that stage is set, they're happy. She walks into a set of standing stones (like mini-stonehenges, set thruout the British Isles) to look at a plant, and she "falls thru them" and ends up in Scotland in 1743. And it's about her life there and what happens to her, who she meets, etc. It is unbelievable. When I read it in my 20's, it was the romance to end all romances. GO RUN get it. It's long. In order, the books are:

Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn

And then there are others, but I admit, I lost interest after Drums.

Yeah, I should mention here, there are somewhat explicit sex scenes. Not raunchy, but there's an adult male rape scene, and alot of sex. It's not a romance novel, and it's not plotless with nothing but sex, but she's 17, so I thoguth this might be ok. But thinking back on it ... maybe wait another year ...

new_mommy25
11-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I went through a period where I was obsessed in the Outlander series. Love them!!!

JoyNChrist
11-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks ladies! I think I'm going to go with the Libba Bray series...the reviews on Amazon looked good and I think she might like them. There's also a "Vampire Academy" series by Richelle Mead that looks promising.

But Fairy, I think I might have to get the Outlander series for myself...sounds neat!

fivi2
11-18-2008, 02:59 PM
There is also a YA vamp series - the Morganville Vampires (can't remember author). I read the first one and hated it, but I think it gets decent reviews from teens. If she is really into the vampire aspect.

There is another YA series - something like Blue Bloods - about vampires. But I know absolutely nothing about it, other than it exists.

I loved the Dragonriders of Pern when I was younger... I need to go back and re-read those!

MZB also has the Mists of Avalon - wonderful book. (pp mentioned her darkover series)

Based on what I have heard, I think the Libba Bray series is a good choice. But you can always send her a list of suggestions with a barnes and Noble gift card!

Oh - and I hate to disagree with Fairy, but I read the first Outlander based on all the praise and hated it! I thought it would be more supernatural, but it felt like a staight up romance novel (I haven't actually read any others, but this is what I imagine romance novels to be!) So, I would only recommend it if you are into romance novels, not if you like supernatural or urban fantasy. JMO of course! (which could also be why Twilight was not my style - felt like a romance novel disguised as a vampire story...)

Fairy
11-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Go ahead, Fivi, break my heart! No, she's right, there's a big Romance element to it. Now that I think about it ... it's in the Romance section of BN. Which always stumped me, cuz I don't consider it Romance. But ... I dunno, maybe it is? Well, anyhoo, it's a helluva story. But another thing is that it's slow for the first 150 pages. If you get thru those, you won't put it down. It's <ahem!> long. Like 600 pages. Eep!