PDA

View Full Version : Where should I get a rug?

irie i
11-18-2008, 05:42 AM
I will need a rug (or a few) for the nursery. The ones I have seen are so thin! Can anyone recommend any thick rugs that I don't have to spend a months' rent for? Am I silly to want a cushiony one?

Thanks!

amldaley
11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Ikea has great rugs at great prices with cute, colorful and bold graphic designs that would go great with your Tiny Love mobile!

I really like www.overstock.com for rugs - thousands to choose from. That's my fave rug store.

Home Goods stores usually have some nice ones.

If they are in your budget, Pottery Barn Kids or Crate and Barrel usually have a nice selection, too. Check the Bargains forum for Pottery Barn coupon codes.

Not silly at all to want a cushy one - I am agonizing over rugs now as I am replacing a knotted jute rug which would not be fun for dd to learn to crawl on.

ahrimie
11-18-2008, 11:01 AM
i got ours at ikea. it's plush but i've noticed the fabric comes off a bit.. we have a red one and i see little red fuzzies everywhere. i haven't tried washing it yet though.. which might get rid of it.

WatchingThemGrow
11-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Are you looking to get something decorative or to cover hardwoods? We got a Capel rug for each child's room (only hardwoods in there) - through a furniture company, and I know that they have huge rug sales occasionally. Ours were $300 each through the discounter for 5x8 (maybe 6x8?. They are amazing quality, totally adorable and very kid friendly. They will last forever.

If you already have carpet, why bother? Just toss a blanket on the ground.

irie i
11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't have the Tiny Love mobile...I am considering it. :) I am going to check out Overstock.com. PBK and C&B tend to be a little more on the expensive side, but I will check them out too.

I will check Ikea too but I have to admit the fact that it sheds is a big turn off...I am allergic to a lot of fabrics and fibers in carpets and such so I don't really want those fuzzies everywhere, particularly in my baby's room.

I have hardwood floors and/or tile throughout my home...no carpet. I have a rug under my bed that I got for a great deal...I might check that store out...but I don't remember them having anything I would put in a nusery.

amldaley
11-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Oh, I think you'll end up with the Tiny love mobile...I have a feeling. OK< well maybe that is because WE have a TL mobile over dd's changing table and she adores it. I am a little partial. I adore TL.

As for rugs that shed, MOST rugs will shed at least a little in the beginning. Pile rugs in particular shed a lot as they let go of the aggregrate fibers from where they are clipped, cut, carved or shorn. Woven and knotted styles may fair better. If you have a rug that sheds, give it some heavy vaccumming. A shampooing can help, too. Also, since you have allergies and the propensity for allergies is partially herediatry, consider what fibers you put in babys nursery. You may want to be careful with wool (though it holds up beautifully in rugs!)

C99
11-19-2008, 12:51 AM
IKEA, Costco, Pottery Barn Kids, Target are all good choices for rugs. I pretty much only have natural fiber (wool/cotton/silk) rugs in my house and while some of the wool ones, especially those that are cheaply made, shed, most of mine do not.

Babymakes3
12-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I got some rugs from Jcpenney's nursery section that I love! They were cheap too!

hellokitty
12-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Don't get one from Pottery Barn, they shed a LOT and they also have a horrible smell. My mil's PB rug is almost 6 yrs old and it still reeks. Even my DH who is normally doesn't notice smells, comments about it. We've had good luck with Ikea rugs.

elektra
12-11-2008, 11:07 PM
We got DD's rug at PBK. Kinda pricey. I am considering doing the FLOR carpet tiles for DC#2.

sste
12-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Cushiony is nice. We got a plain off-white shag at Home Depot of all places. There is NO natural fiber in it which is not my first choice but it was $199 for a 8by10 and it does not stain, no one can believe we have a white rug in our house with the baby and dog. This rug does look more expensive than it is and is very neutral which is nice if you change your decorating scheme or transition from nursery to child's room.

Rugs on sale at PBK can be a good deal - - we don't have one so I don't know about the smell issue.

irie i
12-11-2008, 11:18 PM
We got DD's rug at PBK. Kinda pricey. I am considering doing the FLOR carpet tiles for DC#2.

Would never do FLOR again...total waste of money for us! They rave about being so easy to clean but they really aren't...the fibers pull up...and they are super thin and uncomfy under feet.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We still don't have a rug...please keep 'em coming! We saw a few at World Market that we liked...but the colors didn't work. :(

sste
12-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Another idea - - are any of the land of nod sale rugs appealing?

http://www.landofnod.com/spill.aspx?c=8060&pc=8000

I have generally found land of nod quality to be significantly better than PBK on furniture - - and I have seen their rugs in person and they are very nice.

irie i
12-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Those look nice :) Thanks for sharing! Wish they had darker colors, but definitely something to consider.

wellyes
12-17-2008, 12:43 AM
We have all hardwoods and got an area rug for the nursery. It's actually the only rug in our house, and I'm now that the baby is crawling I'm really glad we got it. We picked ours up at Home Depot - I think we spend around $250 for a 5x7 rug.

One thing to keep in mind - no matter where you get it - just about any rug is going to have a chemical smell / outgassing at first. It's a good idea to unroll it and let it air out somewhere other than the nursery for at least a week prior to installing it.