PDA

View Full Version : Teething Reccomendations?

elephantmeg
11-18-2008, 10:46 AM
With everything (oragel, teething tablets) being controversial what do you use? DD has been up the last 3 nights screaming in what appears to be pain. She is getting motrin around the clock (literally every 6 hours). Tylenol doesn't seem to help any. She was up on and off from 11 pm last night, 3 am the night before and 4 am Fri night.... I am SO TIRED :) I used teething tablets with DS and he did fine, I have given her a couple when it wasn't time for motrin yet. I did try a frozen cube of baby food in the mesh feeder last night-the first went great, the second one she screamed at and threw.

SnuggleBuggles
11-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Poor baby. :(

Try frozen pieces of fruit, like peaches or mango. They may be a bit easier to work with. I had good success with that because I think it helps the teeth out that last little bit.

Could something else be wrong? Ear infection? It might be worth keeping an eye on just in case.

Beth

Tondi G
11-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I was thinking maybe she is getting sick or has an EI possibly? If not then stick with the Motrin or try alternating between tylenol and motrin. I used both Hylands and Humphreys teething tablets. I think the Humphreys works a little better. I got mine at the pharmacy at Target... they are OTC but they had them behind the counter you just had to ask.

Frozen fruit (peach or banana) in a mesh teether might be a good option

frozen mini bagels

a friend of mine gave her son frozen pickles and he loved them

A remember someone mentioning on another board that her grandmother gave her son a green onion (with the green part cut off) with just the white part. Something about the onion was numbing but it worked. Kid smelled something awful but wasn't miserable anymore!

just throwing out all the ideas I've heard! Good Luck. Hope the tooth breaks through and gives your little one some relief!

MamaMolly
11-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I was going to suggest Hyland's teething tablets but you said they aren't recommended? More info, please?

And I agree with the PP it may be an ear infection. DD was so fussy when she got one!

elephantmeg
11-18-2008, 05:46 PM
hmmm on the ear infection. Possible. When DH gets home I'll see if I can see anything with my stupid crap otoscope from ebay (grumble). There was something last year about the belladonna dose in some of the teething tablets was too high-no regulation. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. If she's not better soon I'll take her in to see the pedi. Their recomendation for teething? a teething ring...lol.

MommyAllison
11-18-2008, 06:07 PM
We've done small ice cubes in the mesh feeder, but this time around we are trying amber teething necklaces. So far they seem to help w/lots of the teething symptoms, like drooling, but no teeth have popped through yet so no real test so far. :) We got ours from www.hyenacart.com/inspiredbyfinn and there is more info about how they work there. They are *not* meant to enter the mouth, just be worn.