PDA

View Full Version : Tote versus Messenger bag

sfmom
11-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey all!

I'm positive this question has been asked many times in this forum, so here it goes again. I'm trying to decide between a Tote (e.g., Lexie Tote) or Messenger (e.g., Mothership).

I need to buy a new (or another) diaper bag. Most of mom I know have the messenger-style bag (Fleurville or Ju Ju Be). But it just seems SO big. On the other hand, how practical and convenient is a tote?

It's just that I've been burned by this before as I currently have the skip hop duo, which hasn't served me that well (shocking, I know!). Things keep falling out of the bag (it has a velcro close). I don't want to make another >$100 purchase, especially now, and then find that the bag doesn't serve my needs.

So what's been your experience????

ILoveLucy
11-23-2008, 07:26 PM
I went through the same thing. I had a Skip Hop Expo, which is essentially the same shape as the Duo but with slightly different outside pockets, and I hate that bag. I was so excited about getting it, but it didn't work for me at all. I hated that it was so deep and wouldn't stand on its own, and I never really used the messenger function--I kept the strap short--and I didn't think it worked all that well on the stroller, either. I also felt like I couldn't fit anything in it, it was sort of flat and not shaped for getting things in or out of easily. Clearly I don't feel the Skip Hop love either. :)

Anyway, I bought a Fleurville Sling Tote, which is working perfectly for my needs. Things stay put, and I find them so much easier to find and get to. I definitely recommend trying a tote of some kind. I have not tried the Lexie, but it looks like it would be a good choice.

With the Fleurville sale that ends tomorrow, you could pick up a Sling Tote second for as low as $36 if you don't mind the blue or pink. I think they are out of Lexie totes, though they did have some for $48 and you could call and see if they have any left. If you don't like the Sling Tote, I'm sure you could resell it on Craigslist or Ebay and get back what you spent. Good luck!