PDA

View Full Version : 5 month old nap habits….is this normal? (please bear with the long post)

slworld
11-18-2008, 05:00 PM
DS will be 5 months old in a couple of weeks. He hardly used to nap during the day and even if he did only for 10-30mins. Then suddenly after he turned 4 months he started wanting to nap more often during the day (of course how long each nap lasts is a different story……10-30mins at the most.....it takes longer for him to fall asleep than to stay asleep). But he wants to nap abt every 1.5hr, else he gets really cranky. Is this normal? I probably need to add that he is FF & suffers from reflux (on prevacid), very poor eater and can’t handle more than 3-4oz at a time. So he eats abt every 2.5hr between 9-7pm and then the last one at 10:30pm and first one at 6:30am. He hardly seems to have any playtime, since feeding him takes abt an hour and then in abt half hour he wants to nap again. He seems to be doing ok at night, does wake up a few times but goes back to sleep with the pacifier. We swaddle him for both naps & nighttime (hates being swaddled, but jerks around and wakes himself if not). I am not complaining but he is my first so I have absolutely no idea if this is normal. He doesn’t have a set eating/nap schedule because of his poor eating habits. It varies depends on when he wakes up and how he eats. Any comments/suggestions/advice is welcome.

ETA - I work FT so my MIL is here for 6months to take care of him. I am trying to get him to fall asleep without rocking/pacifier during the night. During the day, my MIL is still rocking him to sleep (probabaly why his naps are so short). I keeping trying to tell her to put him in his crib when he is drowsy but not fully asleep. Guess her reasoning is that he seems to be taking more naps so it is much easier to rock him to sleep then to wait for him to fall asleep on his own (i just started the sleep training at night and it does take him close to an hour to fall asleep on his own and that too with lot of fussing.....and sometime the fussing escalates to crying at which point I end up having to rock him). That brings we to my other question....should I wait until he gets better at sleeping on his own at night before starting to try that with his naps too or should they both be done simultaneously?

Thanks for your patience

ahrimie
11-19-2008, 01:09 PM
if it's the wake time you're concerned about--yes, that's normal. if you read weissbluth's book about sleep, he highly recommends that babies around that age only stay awake for 2-3 hrs at a time. this time period includes the time before they actually fall asleep.

for the longest time, my baby would only eat/play for 45 min and i'd have to put her down so that she'd be asleep before the hour mark since she'd been up.