PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about felt play food

misshollygolightly
11-18-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm seeing tons of adorable felt food play sets on etsy and WAHM websites and I'm soooo tempted to buy some! However, I was wondering if this is one of those kinds of toys that is more "fun" for grownups (because we moms can't resist the cute factor) than it is for LOs. Does anyone know what age it's considered appropriate for? DS will be 6 mos at Christmas...I'd love to put a few pieces in his stocking but I'd definitely want to make sure it's safe first (especially b/c some of the "foods" I've seen seem to have some beadwork or other small details). Also, are these toys usually machine washable? DS puts everything in his mouth and I can see these getting a little grubby at some point. What are your thoughts/experiences?

niccig
11-18-2008, 10:12 PM
DS has had some felt food since he was 1 year old. My mother made it, it was all safe, no beads, nothing too small to swallow. We've had it for 3 years and it gets played with the other food.

We have:
fried egg
tomato slices
hot dog with bun and mustard to put on/off
apple quarters
spinach/lettuce leaves
watermelon slices
beet slices
pizza slices

Only problem we have is that we have a long haired dog and despite vaccum, brushings, dog hair is everywhere..and it sticks to the felt food. I really need to clean it off...

If you're not sure he's ready now, then wait until older and out of mouthing stage.

brittone2
11-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Haba Biofino has some cute stuff (although most Haba stuff is made in Europe, the Biofino and a few other items are MIC if that's an issue).

I've made my kids some cute wool felt food (I use old sweaters and felt them, which is cheaper than buying 100% wool felt sheets from a store). I made cupcakes last year using the sweater sleeves as the cupcake wrapper. They turned out very cute despite my terrible sewing ability ;)

We have some cloth ice cream cones from thechenillechef on etsy that are super, super cute and life-sized.

mommabear
11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Haba Biofino has some cute stuff (although most Haba stuff is made in Europe, the Biofino and a few other items are MIC if that's an issue).

I've made my kids some cute wool felt food (I use old sweaters and felt them, which is cheaper than buying 100% wool felt sheets from a store). I made cupcakes last year using the sweater sleeves as the cupcake wrapper. They turned out very cute despite my terrible sewing ability ;)

We have some cloth ice cream cones from thechenillechef on etsy that are super, super cute and life-sized.
I would love to see pics.