PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a fish tank!

LD92599
11-18-2008, 10:36 PM
I need to clean our fish tank one of these days and it's getting harder and harder to find the time to do it.

Any good tips for cleaning the tank? There's only 4 fish in it and i do have a new filter/pump.

I'm so tempted to get a 2nd tank solely for the purpose of cleaning! Set up the 2nd tank, move the fish over then take my time cleaning the 1st one.

We have a 10 gallon tank I think.

Help!

Laura

Radosti
11-18-2008, 10:40 PM
I have a gravel vacuum and suction off the dirt with it. It stirs up the crap in the water and I let the filter filter it out. I replace the water I suctioned off with fresh water and then change the filter in the pump. Dump the bucket of poopy water that I vacuumed off into a flower bed... good fertilizer.

elephantmeg
11-18-2008, 11:24 PM
leave some city water out overnight to de-chlorinate (the chlorine evaperates). Put the fish in the new water. Vacume the crap out of the gravel. Use a clean washcloth to wipe the sides. Better yet get one of those fish that suck the sides. Change the filter. Put the fish and new water in. Done.

EllasMum
11-19-2008, 12:38 AM
My brother worked in a pet store for years and said that the most common mistake people make with aquariums is cleaning them too often. I've had mine for about 2 years and have never cleaned it. Ever. I have an algae eater, a bottom feeder, and a good filter. Water is crystal clear and I've even had a baby fish hatch and grow up! Keep your cleaning routine to an absolute minimum - the other posters gave some good advice. Vacuum the bottom a bit and let the filter clear the water. You should be good to go!