PDA

View Full Version : the present DC wants vs the one you want to give...

newbiemom
11-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Back story: Went to Toys R Us today with DCs b/c they were given gift cards for their b-days.
DS1 saw a toy that he wanted (and he's played with this before when we've been to Target). We told him we couldn't get it b/c he didn't have enough on the gift card. With a bit of fussing, he gave it up and looked at other stuff, but then asked if he could get the specific toy for Christmas.

I don't mind getting him a different version of this toy, but I'm not thrilled with the one he's picked out. I can understand his wanting it, though - it's got the moveable parts and all. He wants this specific one (we showed him others that he refused because they weren't big, didn't have moveable parts, or looked too babyish, etc).

I personally am not crazy about it because it's this big obnoxious plastic pirate ship.

I saw a wood one online that I wouldn't mind getting him, even though it's more expensive, but it's much much more simpler looking and much smaller. And based on his rejections of the others he saw, my guess is he would't want this one.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards just skipping the whole pirate ship thing and getting him other stuff, but I'm wondering what your opinions would be if you were in a similar situation.

So, in short, do you get the gift your DC wants, even if you don't like it?

KrisM
11-19-2008, 01:08 AM
How old is he?

Last year, I heard that my DS, then 3.5 years, was telling his preschool teacher that Santa was bringing him a specific Hot Wheels set. I had NEVER heard him mention it at all. Yes, we did get it for him and he was thrilled. I think he would have been really disappointed that he didn't get what he wanted.

This year, he also has very specific things on his list. He won't get them all, of course, but most of what he'll get is on his list and is the specific one he requested.

I'd probably get teh big pirate ship.

Babywhite
11-19-2008, 01:10 AM
DD fell in love with the Barbie and the Diamond Castle movie. She and I both sing the songs a lot.

She now has her heart set on getting a Barbie and the Diamond Castle doll for Christmas (you push the necklace and it plays songs from the movie). She has several Barbies, so I didn't plan on getting it. I really think that she likes the doll b/c of the necklace/music, so I ordered the CD.

For weeks now, she has continued to ask for the doll on a daily basis!! I wasn't sure what to do...

Well, I caved. Actually, my mom caved! She informed me that she can't handle DD not getting that doll b/c it is one of the only things she has asked for ... finally, I told her she could get it for her.

Oh well.... :)

geochick
11-19-2008, 01:12 AM
If my kid wanted something that badly (and I knew he'd play with it), I'd totally get it...for Christmas. In our house, Christmas is all about magic and happiness. All other times of the year, I'd try and talk my kid out of the toy.

emilys_mom
11-19-2008, 01:16 AM
I don't have an answer, but am struggling with this. DD found (I don't know where) the Target Toy book catalog and saw this Sleeping Beauty vanity mirror. She is in love with it and two weeks later continues to bring it up out of the blue as what Santa will bring her. Mind you, we have a small house with no room and the only space I can put it in now houses her kitchen. I don't know if we buy it and let it over run the house, or buy very different things and hope she forgets. Looking forward to finding out what you decide.

wencit
11-19-2008, 01:39 AM
If my kid wanted something that badly (and I knew he'd play with it), I'd totally get it...for Christmas. In our house, Christmas is all about magic and happiness. All other times of the year, I'd try and talk my kid out of the toy.Definitely this. There is something so magical about childhood Christmases, and I want DS to feel the same kind of wonder, joy, and excitement that I felt when I was younger. I personally would buy the plastic pirate ship. I know it might not be what you want, but I think Christmas is for the kids anyways.

Just my $0.02.

newbiemom
11-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Reading these posts, I think I'm being swayed into getting the ship after all! So, I'll have to find out more about this ship of his. I think it was an Imaginext (sp?) one.
Maybe I'll go visit the Around the House...wow, this board is very addictive.

Tondi G
11-19-2008, 01:59 AM
Buy him the pirate ship he wants! We have a big ol plastic ones too and my boys love them!!! Ours are the playmobile one (thanks to MIL) and a Pyrates megabloks ghost ship (which my DS literally jumped up and down when he opened it).

Imaginext stuff isn't so bad! Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Imaginext-Adventures-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B001B2MU3Q/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_2_txt?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0007WX13Y&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0B5PS7G7M7CW56P8J49Z

s7714
11-19-2008, 02:00 AM
If my kid wanted something that badly (and I knew he'd play with it), I'd totally get it...for Christmas. In our house, Christmas is all about magic and happiness. All other times of the year, I'd try and talk my kid out of the toy.

Same here. As long as it's not way out of our budget and it's clear it's something they really, really want I'll probably get it. Provided it's not a near duplicate of something they already have of course (like if they wanted another dollhouse when they already have one).

s7714
11-19-2008, 02:05 AM
I don't have an answer, but am struggling with this. DD found (I don't know where) the Target Toy book catalog and saw this Sleeping Beauty vanity mirror. She is in love with it and two weeks later continues to bring it up out of the blue as what Santa will bring her.

My 3 year old saw that in the DVD insert and immediately claimed that was what Santa was bringing her for weeks. Then she saw the Tinkerbell version in the Tinkerbell DVD insert... :rolleye0014: Either way we already have a little vanity, so neither is coming down the chimney! She's since effectively moved on to wanting the big FP stompin' dinosaur that is on display everywhere and $$. Her impressions of what the dino does are so darn cute I'm practically wanting to buy it for her, only I know it wouldn't get played with for more than a couple weeks.

kijip
11-19-2008, 03:07 AM
If I don't like it, he might still get it. If I don't approve of it or it's too big for our space or is out of our price range, it's a no-go. One example was I preferred not to get Thomas branded trains- he fell in love with Thomas and we went that direction because it was what he wanted. But if he asked for a portable game system, we would say no because it's not something we want him to have at all.

annasmom
11-19-2008, 09:28 AM
I JUST posted about my own pirate ship fiasco from last years' Christmas in Around the House!!!

Last year I bought my ds a wooden pirate pirate ship that he played with for Christmas day only. Has never touched it since. And, I might add, my ds is pirate-obsessed!

Well, withoug knowing that I had already bought a pirate ship, my sil bought him the FP Imaginext ship. She bought him something else instead for Christmas, but kept the ship at her house so he could play with it there.

He LOVES the thing, and cries everytime we have to leave it at her house.

This year, I purposely sought out and bought the big, ugly, plastic Imaginext castle - and I know he will LOVE it!

maylips
11-19-2008, 09:38 AM
I remember getting generic versions of what I really wanted when I was a kid. I need to ask my mom if that was because what I wanted was too expensive or she didn't like it - I never wondered until reading these posts! :) But it did put a hamper on the day for me because the gift they gave me still didn't make me want my original choice any less.

So, saying that, I have to agree with everyone - Christmas is special. If it's in your price range, go for it.

hillview
11-19-2008, 09:49 AM
I'd get it if it was just something I don't really care for but didn't violate basic ideas I have (no weapons, nothing that is so loud when he puts it to his ears it will hurt them -- am sure there are other things that I am forgetting).
/hillary

Momof3Labs
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
DS1 has gotten toys like that for Christmas. He gets to put four items on his Santa list, and at least one is usually something that I would never buy for him. If it is too expensive or involves gums or something, I'll remind him of what we allow in the house (and that even Santa has a budget) but otherwise he gets it. Last year it was some Hot Wheels set that I knew wouldn't work by New Year's Day, but he had asked for it for months, and so Santa brought it to him. I was right, but he was thrilled, so I'm still glad that he got it.

Imaginext is a pretty good brand; it's not like he picked out a cheap old pirate ship that will fall apart in less than a day. OP, I'd see if he sticks with this "want" and if he does, surprise him with it on Christmas day.

mom2ethan
11-19-2008, 10:56 AM
I had this same dilemma last year with the same pirate ship!

E asked Santa for it, and told everyone that he was getting *this* pirate ship, so we ended up getting it. On Christmas morning, we had it sitting by the fireplace right next to the big boy bike that we thought he would really like. No kidding...he ran squealing to that pirate ship and totally did not see the bike. We had to point the bike out to him after he'd been playing with the pirate ship for 10 minutes! He has played with the pirate ship every day since last Christmas.

sidmand
11-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Reading these posts, I think I'm being swayed into getting the ship after all! So, I'll have to find out more about this ship of his. I think it was an Imaginext (sp?) one.
Maybe I'll go visit the Around the House...wow, this board is very addictive.

I think that's the one I bought DS. He's NEVER asked for anything specifically although he's always liked pirate ships (when we visit toy stores). He saw that one in a catalog and wanted it immediately. And yes, I bought it. I've been debating it ever since because we have a lot of toys, but I think he'll really really like it.

rlu
11-19-2008, 07:43 PM
I'd get it if it was just something I don't really care for but didn't violate basic ideas I have (no weapons, nothing that is so loud when he puts it to his ears it will hurt them -- am sure there are other things that I am forgetting).
/hillary

I think Hillary summed up what most PPs are saying. If it doesn't go against the house rules, and is within budget, we try to get it. Luckily DS has never asked for something so out there we wouldn't/couldn't get it. He temporarily fell in love with a $200 bike at REI, but his heart isn't set on that one - he's never mentioned that one again, just wanting a bike in general. He has however told us he's getting "six and three hundred toys from Santa" this year. Sorry kid, Santa does one present a year and that's an affordable bike.

I'd get the pirate ship if it meets the above criteria - if he loves it, you're a star, if he doesn't, you have a "remember what happened?" moment to pull out next time this happens.

On a smaller scale - we went to the Meryvns last night to buy the next size up briefs for him at 40% off. I laid out all the size 6 packs they had and told him to pick two. The stinker picked out two identical Speed Racer sets (I didn't realize I'd set out two). He already has the same set in size 6 at home and one set my mom bought him - he now owns 12 pairs of size 6 Speed Racer briefs (plus the 3 pairs in size 4 he wears now.) He LUVS Speed Racer, and better keep on loving for the next two years. Jeez.

tarabenet
11-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Did you ever want something as a kid, something really cool, and have someone substitute something they thought was "just as good"? So, OK, yeah, you get over it, it isn't the end of the world, and maybe the other one is just fine after all. But wouldn't it just be the coolest to sometimes get what you really wished for? Wouldn't it be the coolest mom of all who gave you that something, when you knew it wasn't her favorite? Especially if it broke and she still never said "See, this is why I wanted you to get the other one"?

So, you can be the coolest and get him the one he wants. Or you can let this be a lesson in how we get past things we thought we couldn't lve without. Either way, you and he will be fine. It's another variation on the "pick your battles carefully" thing. But I have to admit, if it weren't out of the budget or somehow offensive, I'd probably cave in and get him the one he's dreaming, just because eventually everyone outgrows that magic childhood phase, and they stop lighting up quite the same way a little kid can. I'd definitely milk those moments for every little bit of magic.

Jen841
11-19-2008, 10:45 PM
J got this for his bday (5) and he and his brother (3) play with it DAILY. Never imaged it would be so loved. I wanted another, but this is what we got. Months later it is played with by both more than any other toy.

jacksmomtobe
11-19-2008, 11:03 PM
I've talked ds out of a few potential things on his Christmas list by pointing out (or telling him) that the item is for older kids. I do however view Christmas as a time for the kids to receive something special, above the usual. I'm trying to sway him away from things that are similiar to what we already have. I mean ds has 2 or 3 recycling trucks in his garbage truck collection and now wants a side loading one. If he decides that he really, really wants it I will probably suggest it to a relative as DH would probably go crazy if "we" got him another truck. I also try to sway him away from toys that will break or ones that may have too many pieces that won't get used and will add to the clutter. I am however feeling the strong need to sift through our current toys and purge (donate to charity if I can or at least find a good home for) a fair amount. All that said I'm planning on trying to be fairly lean on what the kids get this Christmas. Santa brought a Kitchen last year so I'm trying to think of smaller, fewer gifts that will have big impact. DS is also interested in Pirates and it does seem that the ship you mention has gotten favorable real life reviews and that it gets used. I think it might be worth getting since your child really wants it and from other posters that ship does get played with rather than being a toy that looks cool but then fizzles in real life.

emilys_mom
11-19-2008, 11:03 PM
My 3 year old saw that in the DVD insert and immediately claimed that was what Santa was bringing her for weeks. Then she saw the Tinkerbell version in the Tinkerbell DVD insert... :rolleye0014: Either way we already have a little vanity, so neither is coming down the chimney! She's since effectively moved on to wanting the big FP stompin' dinosaur that is on display everywhere and $$. Her impressions of what the dino does are so darn cute I'm practically wanting to buy it for her, only I know it wouldn't get played with for more than a couple weeks.

I have been trying to keep DD away from that dinosaur. It's like that horse last year- any kid who sees it is going to beg for it!

newbiemom
11-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Okay, after reading all of your responses, reading all the reviews on Amazon about the Imaginext pirate ship, I bit the bullet and got the pirate ship! I can't wait for Christmas!

tarabenet
11-20-2008, 10:30 AM
I mean ds has 2 or 3 recycling trucks in his garbage truck collection and now wants a side loading one.

OK, that is just the cutest kiddie collection item I've ever heard of! I'm giggling like crazy over here, because it is just so adorable!

tarabenet
11-20-2008, 10:35 AM
My niece (3 at the time) received that horse's smaller cousin, the animatronic cat, from Santa while we were all together for the holidays. Cute in the store turned out to be creepy at home. I swear, that thing would "wake up" staring straight at us, and then its eyes would follow us wherever we went in the room. The adults referred to it as Demon Kitty. Well, Little Miss Feline Possessed has now come to live at my house, because it started "waking up" and "growling" at niece in the middle of the night. She wouldn't even nap in her own room in broad daylight until it was gone. She still asks about it every day, so I'm keeping it around, but that thing gives *me* the heebeejeebees too!

alexsmommy
11-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Late to the party - but I think you did the right thing. For us, the Santa part of Christmas is about "magic". Like everyone else, DS knows there are things Mom has told Santa in advance - ie, no Wii until he is older. But if he wants something that doesn't violate other rules of our home but is something he knows we wouldn't normally purchase, I try to get one or two of those gifts from Santa. This year it is a Hannah Montana guitar. I could care less that it's a "girl" guitar, but he has five freaking other guitars. Yet, he plays with them every day, so I know he'll use it. He also knows that thus far I haven't gotten any more guitars because he already has so many. Santa to the rescue.

emilys_mom
11-21-2008, 01:26 AM
tarabenet- That is the creepiest story I have heard. Eek!

salsah
11-21-2008, 07:00 PM
saw this on sd, thought you might be interested:

Graveyard Mall (http://slickdeals.net/?pno=15655&lno=1&afsrc=1) has Venture Ship Wooden Pirate Ship for $80 - $50 coupon hiddensale112108 + $16 shipping = $46.

eta: oops, sorry, i just saw your post that you already got one.

Pennylane
11-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't have an answer, but am struggling with this. DD found (I don't know where) the Target Toy book catalog and saw this Sleeping Beauty vanity mirror. She is in love with it and two weeks later continues to bring it up out of the blue as what Santa will bring her. Mind you, we have a small house with no room and the only space I can put it in now houses her kitchen. I don't know if we buy it and let it over run the house, or buy very different things and hope she forgets. Looking forward to finding out what you decide.

My daughter wants the same thing and I so don't want it in my house. But she has been talking about it for the past few weeks.

Like a pp said, Christmas is all about the magic and I really want them to be thrilled with what they get. Even if it is a fake barking puppy to hang out with the talking parrot they got last year!

Ann