PDA

View Full Version : Update on DH and thank you for your good thoughts

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Thank you all for your kind posts and good thoughts and prayers for my family.
I really don't have anything "concrete" to say on Dennis' prognosis because no one really knows. The good news is that he had an excellent surgeon-- what are the odds of having a spinal cord injury in a town in Germany, population 10000, and having a surgeon from Johns Hopkins on staff? Also, the hospital he is in, Dodd Hall at Ohio State, is a world class facility, the kind of place any of us would want to have a family member in if something like this happened.
I was initially told that recovery/physical therapy would last from six months to three years so any way you slice it this is going to be a very long road.
When Dennis was first admitted he had no movement anywhere south of his head. Currently in a lying position had can lift his legs a few inches and flex toes, the lower part of body is stronger and I think they expect that it will recover more fully than the torso, arms and hands. Dennis can lift his arms somewhat but not much in the hands as of now. The area of the spinal cord that was injured is indicitive of arm, hand impairment.
They are actually telling him today when they think he will be released into outpatient therapy and this is very scary to me. Dennis has the type of
personality that will make it very, very hard for him to be dependent on others for little things. I am hoping I will be able to spot signs of depression as I am sure that will be coming.
Nick and Kate are doing really well. I know it was very hard on them to have me leave for 13 days with no notice, every morning they tell me how glad they are that I am home. They have only been to see Dennis once, it is a logistical nightmare to get them both over there. When they saw D he was sitting up in chair so I think the extent of his injury was not readily apparent to them.
Please continue to send good thought our way, I truly appreciate each and every one!

AngelaS
11-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Praying for all of you Susan! (((HUGS)))

WatchingThemGrow
11-19-2008, 08:05 AM
So glad to hear from you and to hear some positive news in your update. It will be a long road ahead, and I will continue to pray that your physical, mental, and emotional needs are met, as well as those of your husband and children. I have been thinking about you a lot.

tekins
11-19-2008, 08:06 AM
thanks for the update. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug: :grouphug:

babymama
11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Susan - I'm so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts are with you.

amldaley
11-19-2008, 08:40 AM
All good things - prayers and positive energy - comin' you way!!!!!! It sounds like there is a glimmer of hope from when we last heard from you! :grouphug:

o_mom
11-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Still praying for you here. Dodd Hall is a wonderful facility. I know at least three people who have been there for injury recovery.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do!

CiderLogan
11-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Even though I don't *know* you or your family, I have been thinking of all of you a lot lately. Thanks so much for the update. I'll continue to send good thoughts your way.

JTsMom
11-19-2008, 08:52 AM
:grouphug: Thanks for the update. How fortunate for both the JH doc to be there, and that he is in such a wonderful facility! Sending lots of wishes for a speedy recovery, and piles of strength for you.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I wish our whole board lived close to each other in times like this. We'd be flooding your home with meals and babysitting offers.

bnme
11-19-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way. It is great that your DH is getting top-notch medical care and I hope the best for him. Sending extra 'mom' thoughts for you, I know how hard it can be to hold everything together for the kids when you are in 'crisis-mode' and taking care of everything.

Mamma2004
11-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Thank you for the update, Susan. You have been on my mind a lot lately and I shall continue to pray for you, Dennis, his medical professionals and your children. You have displayed such strength and I have to believe that your incredible sense of humor is of help right now.

Sending you all the mojo I can muster!

heatherlynn
11-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the update. Hugs, prayers & positive thoughts coming your way.

npace19147
11-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Wishing you lots of strength during this ordeal. Hope your DH has a speedy recovery. Your kids will do fine, they've got such a great mom!

mommy111
11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Susan, good thoughts, hugs and prayers headed your way and that of your family.

daisyd
11-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Good to hear that he has regained some movement. Prayers for strength coming your way.
Hugs,
Daisy

mamaoftwins
11-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for giving us the update! Will keep you all in my thoughts.

scoop22
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Susan-
thanks for the update. you, your husband, and your family have been on my mind this week. you all are in our thoughts are prayers. hugs to you!!!:grouphug:

Bens Momma
11-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Susan-
Missed your first post about the accident. I am truly so sorry that this happened and that DH, you, and your family are going through this. It sounds like he is making progress and although it's hard, being positive about any recovery of movement is so important. My brother suffered a severe spinal cord injury 5 years ago with loss of all feeling/use from the lower back down. It is very positive that your DH is gaining some use and sensation back in areas. That may increase as the swelling and pressure on spinal nerves goes down. Was the cord severed, what have they labelled the injury? It's a blessing that he got good care immediately and is in a good facility for rehab now. It sounds like your DH is a strong-willed, hard-working person and this will really help him during his rehab & recovery. Stay strong yourself, but don't be afraid to reach out to others for help at home and general support. The travel and being there to support DH emotionally can be very tiring, try to find time to rest and take care of yourself! My thoughts and prayers are with your DH, you, and your family during this difficult time. There are also some great organizations out there that offer advice, emotional support, and great information. It can be really helpful to talk to people who have BTDT. Please feel free to PM me if you want information.

Take Care-
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

caleymama
11-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Susan, thank you for taking the time to update us. Please know that I am continuing to think of you, Dennis, Nick, and Kate. If there is anything, anything at all, that you or your family needs let us know and we will make it happen. :hug:

Fairy
11-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Thank you for the update, Susan. We're all thinking about you.

sidmand
11-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Thank you for the update. Please know that even people who don't know you IRL are thinking and caring about you and your family.

Take care.

MMMommy
11-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Thank you for the update. I know there are many of us here that are concerned and wish you and your family the best. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

ThreeofUs
11-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the update! It's good to hear your DH has received excellent care.

Remember that with outpatient therapies like this, most of the time your family will have in-home care from the Visiting Nurse Ass'n or a like organization. It can't and shouldn't be all on you. You're probably all over this, but talk to the nurses about this, and get your insurance on the phone to figure it out beforehand.

Hope you can find time to take good care of yourself, too, as you're going through this. Your family definitely needs you!

MontrealMum
Thank you so much for taking the time to write an update. I have been thinking about all of you a lot---wondering, and hoping. I'm glad to hear that there is some movement and that things might take a more positive turn. Continued :grouphug: and P&PT coming your way.

wencit
Susan, I continue to hold you and Dennis in my thoughts. It sounds like he has the very best care around. {{{hugs}}} to you.

clc053103
11-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Continued hugs, prayers and good wishes for you and DH. Your DH is lucky to have your strength to support him during this ordeal!

MamaKath
11-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Susan, thank you for the update!!! We added you and your family to the prayer list at church and I got a very strange look when I said "My friend Susan's husband" and couldn't come up with a first name. ;) Anyway our prayers are with you Dennis, Nick and Kate. If there is anything you need, please post it. You know the BBB mamas have your back and will be as helpful as possible. It is a helpless feeling when you can't even send a tray of ziti.

brittone2
11-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Continuing to hold you and your DH in my thoughts, Susan. It sounds like he has some promising signs in terms of prognosis.

We're all here for you at the BBB....we have *many* shoulders for you to lean on :grouphug:

linsei
11-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Susan,

I'm so sorry you are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I hope your DH continues to improve on his long path to recovery. Thanks for the update.

Emmas Mom
11-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for posting your update, that's encouraging news for your family. How lucky there was such an excellent surgeon available. Your family will continue to be in my thoughts & prayers!

vludmilla
11-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Thank you for taking the time to update us. I have been thinking of you and hoping that things would turn around for you.

StantonHyde
11-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks so much for the update. I am sure rehab is going to be really tough--it would be tough on anybody no matter who you are. Hopefully, his stubborness and independence will help him in the long run.

And maybe to add a smile--have you asked him if he thinks the docs should use duct tape???

EllasMum
11-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Big hugs to you and your family, Susan. May you find the strength you need to see you through this!

Melarina
11-20-2008, 12:04 AM
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Moneypenny
11-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Thank you for taking the time to update! I am continuing to send good thoughts your way. As the others have said, please let us know if there's anything we can do to help out!

SASM
11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Thank you for the update. Sending LOTS of P&PTs your way. HUGE (((((hugs))))) to you, mama!!

happy2bamom
11-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the update Susan. We continue to pray for Dennis and your family.

Globetrotter
11-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your update, Susan. I've been wondering how you all were doing during this trying time :hug:

It sounds like you are off to a good start.

ETA: You and the kids will motivate him to do his best. That with his stubborn and independent nature WILL make all the difference and help in the long run I've seen this in another family we know where the dh was fully paralyzed from Guillane Barre. Though the circumstances are different, of course, I could see that he had all the motivation in the world to work hard in rehab and recover, and in his case he did.

american_mama
11-21-2008, 12:51 AM
I am so happy to hear about his legs and lower body, and hopeful that more good news is coming. I hope you are getting all the support at home and in the hospital that you and DH need. If you are not, please post here for some emotional support and maybe some ideas of how to get some of the tangible things you need.