PDA

View Full Version : ISO Amtrak Deals -PHL to NYC

Jen841
11-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Any discounts or deals out there? I know there is an American Girl code on their site. Considering taking the family including the Grandparents to NYC for a fun time.

I have some coupons via my business travel, but would love something more : )

dewfish
11-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Keep checking the hot deals tab on their website. I got a weekly special from Tampa to Savannah for $7. I couldn't have bought the gas for that price. You have to keep checking. I think they also offer a AAA discount. We really enjoyed the train, although there can be significant delays at times.

mmsmom
11-19-2008, 05:15 PM
I have never seen a sale on this route as it is very heavily traveled. If you have AAA, you can get 10% off. Also, it takes about 45 minutes longer but you can take SEPTA from PHL to Trenton, NJ then transfer to NJ Transit to get to Penn Station NYC. This route is about $20 one way versus about $60 on Amtrak.

iaam
11-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I travel this corridor for work a lot and have never seen a discount either (it's actually the rare leg that Amtrak makes a profit on, due to high demand). Sorry!

oneontheway
11-19-2008, 08:33 PM
If you don't find a discount, I have found it super easy to drive to the Hamilton NJ station which is really nice and take the NJ transit right into the city. It is easy and cheap. Depending on where you are in or around Philly, it can actually be quicker. Just a thought!

lowrioh
11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Have you thought about taking a bus? We've taken the Bolt Bus from DC to NYC and have been really happy with it. It takes a little longer but it's only about $50 roundtrip....less from Philly.
They have Wi-Fi too!
https://www.boltbus.com/

Jen841
11-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I do travel a lot for work, maybe I will redeem points and use some of the companion passes I have.

We are in the burbs, so the Keystone is key for us. Not willing to do SEPTA and NJ Transit. The kids complain about the "slow" train. Spoiled brats!