PDA

View Full Version : New Baby books for kids that aren't too "natural"?

LarsMal
11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
My friend is expecting #2 and her DS (4 1/2) is starting to ask a lot of questions. She is looking for some book ideas, but doesn't want anything too "natural" (her word, not mine :) ).

Any recs?

I told her about "I'm a Big Brother" by Joanna Cole, but that doesn't really have anything to do with where babies come from.

**I also told her I'd see if I could find out about other books (code word for come to the BBB, my secret place, and get good info that I can pass along to her!!!) ;)

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I liked "Baby on the Way" by Dr. Sears because it didn't dumb things down or leave things out. I don't think it's too "natural."

"A Child is Born" is a neat one because it has all those shots of baby in utero.

Beth

srhs
11-19-2008, 01:18 PM
This isn't what you're asking for, but I have to mention the Oh Baby the Places You'll Go in-utero book. If the big bro already hears Seuss, imagine the fun of reading that to baby with mom or dad!

ok, resume baby-making recs...

Gena
11-19-2008, 01:29 PM
If your friend is religious, she might like "Angel in the Waters", which tells the story of a baby growing in his/her mother's womb. Before and after birth, the baby talks with his/her angel. (The baby's gender is never specified.)

You can read the book online here:
http://www.angelinthewaters.com/index.cfm

MarisaSF
11-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Joanna Cole's When You Were Inside Mommy is not too explicit, if that is her concern. It was great for my DD when I wasexpecting #2..

MamaMolly
11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
I love 'Julius, Baby of the World' for the big brother/sister. It is sweet how, in the end, the big sister sticks up for Julius.

kedss
11-19-2008, 04:49 PM
there is a Berenstein Bear book about when Sister Bear arrives, it deals more with changes for Brother Bear, but it might be a good jumping off point?

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2008, 05:42 PM
there is a Berenstein Bear book about when Sister Bear arrives, it deals more with changes for Brother Bear, but it might be a good jumping off point?

That book and "Moving Day" always make me scratch my head a bit. Poor Brother Bear, they don't tell him anything till things are imminent. It seems like some staging or prep would be nice. But, maybe because he was so young they didn't feel the need to tell him he was going to be a big brother till Mama was in labor or that they were moving till the night before.

I still love the Berenstain Bears though. :)

Beth