PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have exp w/ Head Start/ Early Head Start?

ha98ed14
11-19-2008, 09:44 PM
With all the pre-school/ kindy threads going, I am curious to know if anyone has any experience with Head Start? I know it is designed to serve a low to moderate income families, but some kids also qualify based in developmental delays or behavioral issues, so it has the potential to be pretty diverse, I think. If anyone has any direct experiences, I would be interested to hear your perspectives.

KrystalS
11-19-2008, 11:17 PM
My DD goes to a Headstart ran program but the class she is in is called the preschool program rather than headstart which is in the morning. It's kind of confusing. We're in Colorado and there is no state mandated pre-k here. So the headstart where we are decided to add a preschool program because they got so many requests from parents. I was hesitant at first to send DD to this program because shes advanced for her age. I really love it now though. DD is exposed to kids from different economic, cultural backgrounds. There are 2 kids in DDs class that are from China and English is a second language for them. I volunteered in the class today and its so interesting to watch the kids help them with words. The kids don't talk very much and my DD asked me several times why they don't talk. I explained to her they speak a different language and they don't know as many english words as she does. Now when she sees the little girl struggle with the name of a toy or something she will help her. I think as long as there are really great teachers in the classroom there is an advantage to headstart. DD's class has 15 kids with 1 head teacher and 2 aides. Parents frequently volunteer as well.
The fact that its free is a big incentive. The only thing I don't like is they don't get to have class parties. Head start doesn't allow any type of holiday parties.

kransden
11-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Some of the schools I have taught in have had Head Start, and I had a friend work at one. Based on this very limited experience, I can honestly say "It depends".
My friend noticed a child doing odd things for her pretend her shopping trip. When asked what she was doing, the little girl replied she was packing her gun to keep her babies safe. Well.... hmmm. What can you say to that? On the other hand, a Head Start classroom was next to my classroom where I was long term subbing. The ladies were nice, the kids seemed happy and healthy, and had lots of outdoor equipment for them to use.

If it was me, I would consider it, but I would want to observe the program first. It varies so much between schools and the type of kids that go there.

ha98ed14
11-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the input.

egoldber
11-20-2008, 08:34 AM
There's a Head Start preschool at Sarah's elementary school. Mainly it's for low income parents in the area, but the program seems great. They occasionally have open spots, so I am going to ask about it for Amy in a couple years.

mommy111
11-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Our babysitter's daughter goes there....and it really depends, from what I understand from her. Last year, they had a great teacher and loved her. The class mix was not so great, though, from what I understand (she mentions that her daughter was hit several times in school, that a particular boy picked on her and that the teachers were not really able to run intereference, so she would often come home with scratches/bite marks/bruises), the student-teacher ratio was much higher. This year, the individual teachers are not as inspired, but the program itself is better and the kids in her DD's class are all great, the student-teacher ratio is lower and the supervision is better. I've just known them this year, and from what I can tell, her DD loves school and really looks forward to going there and learns a lot.
Oh, I should add, babysitter moved from a headstart in another state last year to the headstart here.

AlbrightRC
11-20-2008, 03:26 PM
I volunteered at a headstart program for 2 years after graduating high school because my mom worked in the kitchen there.. when i say vounteered lets be clear i was there almost everday just didnt get paid for it.I think we had maybe 18 kids and there was a teacher, teachers assistant and me almost everyday and then often there would be other parent vounteers. I think the holiday party situation must be specific to a certain school because i know we had parties every holiday and my mom is still friends with some of the teachers in the program now and they still do holiday parties. The mix of kids was higher and lower incomes they have to have a certain amount of each. Yes some of the children were rough and disruptive but the teacher or teachers aide would seperate them from the group until the calmed down. I would definitly consider sending my child to such a program