PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

LarsMal
11-19-2008, 11:28 PM
I feel so bad for DS right now. He came home from p/s today complaining of a stomach ache. He does this when he is really constipated and when he's hungry, so I didn't think much of it. He didn't have a fever. He ended up having a pretty loose BM, but only one. Still no fever, no vomiting. He complained all evening, "I just don't feel very good." Didn't eat much, had some gas, but no more BM. He went to bed saying, "Maybe I'll feel better in the morning." :( Poor little guy!

The thing is, tomorrow is his Thanksgiving Feast at school. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but all he's been talking about for the past week or 2 is his pilgrim hat he made at school (he gets to wear it for the feast tomorrow). I also made about 75 "safe" mini-pumpkin muffins for the party, and I'm signed up to help out. And, the big kicker- the director sent me a list of the foods they were having for the feast last week. I sent back a list of safe brands/options that DS could have, and she followed my exact list- for the whole school! The entire feast has been geared to accomodate him. I feel so guilty about not sending him to school after they went through all the trouble (which included shopping at the local grocery store instead of going bulk at Sam's Club).

I don't know what to do! I'm thinking of letting DS sleep in, calling the director and telling her he still isn't feeling 100%, but as long as he doesn't get sick again I'll bring him in *just* for the feast (if he'll even eat anything). If he's still feeling yuck in the morning, I'll just drop off the muffins and call it a day.

I know I can't control his health, and I can't force him to go to school if he's not feeling great, but I feel SO guilty that they went through so much trouble to make the day work for DS and his allergies that I feel like he HAS to go! (unless of course he has a fever, vomiting, or anything like that!)

mama2g03
11-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Hugs to you and your DS. I hope he feels better soon. Hopefully it will be a minor tummy thing and he'll be ok in the morning. If not, don't worry about letting people down - you can't help when illness strikes. That's so great that the school was so willing to accomodate your son's needs, sounds like a wonderful school. I'm sure they were happy to do it or they wouldn't have gone to the trouble to do the whole meal that way. Don't feel obligated, I'm sure they wouldn't want you to. Good luck and I'm sending healing thoughts for DS's tummy. :hug:

JoyNChrist
11-20-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. I would probably feel guilty about not going too, after they were so accomodating. But like PP said, your DS's health comes first, and it's not like it's something you can control.

So I'll be praying for your DS's tummy tonight, and for your peace of mind should you have to back out. Congrats on finding such a great preschool though - it sounds like an awesome place with an awesome staff!

deannanb
11-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Congrats on finding such a great preschool though - it sounds like an awesome place with an awesome staff!

If DS doesn't feel well, don't send him to school - but know that the other kids are eating healthy! =)

DrSally
11-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Poor guy! Hopefully it's just a bad case of gas! If he's truly feeling terrible tomorrow, unfortunately I would keep him home. The director will understand and it's good practice for future events (the food thing) for them. It is so great that they were so accomodating!

Tondi G
11-20-2008, 12:54 PM
How is he feeling today? I hope he was ready for School and can take part in the "feast"!

LarsMal
11-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Everything worked out great!!

I decided to let him sleep in this morning. He had another BM in the morning, which is very rare for him to have them 2 days in a row, and it was yuck, but not terrible. He said he wanted to eat breakfast so I gave him toast and water. He ate that with no trouble and then his eyes got really big and he said, "Mommy, my tummy is saying..." and proceeded to make a funny sound that I took to mean gurgling! I got nervous, but nothing happened.

I took him up to the feast and he ate an entire plate of food! I guess whatever it was is gone now! He was so happy to be there, and I was so thankful that he was able to sit with the kids and eat just like them. The parents who organized it were great, too. They saved all the labels for me, just to triple check. I was so happy I wanted to cry! (pregnancy hormones!!)

This Thanksgiving I am going to have to include DS's school in my "things I am thankful for" list! It's going to be so hard to leave them in February :(

elektra
11-20-2008, 02:43 PM
So glad it worked out! I was wondering what I would have done, and I honestly think I may have dragged DS there just to make and appearance and tell him to at least take a few bites. My guilt can get the best of me!
So glad he not only went but enjoyed himself!

bubbaray
11-20-2008, 02:44 PM
So glad he is better and was able to enjoy the party at school! WOW, I'm so impressed with how they handled his allergies! YEAH!!!!!

Melaine
11-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Awww I'm so glad it turned out well. That is really great they picked safe food just for your DS and he was able to enjoy it. YAY!

DrSally
11-20-2008, 05:30 PM

I took him up to the feast and he ate an entire plate of food! I guess whatever it was is gone now! He was so happy to be there, and I was so thankful that he was able to sit with the kids and eat just like them. The parents who organized it were great, too. They saved all the labels for me, just to triple check. I was so happy I wanted to cry! (pregnancy hormones!!)

:(

This had me misty eyed too! Sounds like it went wonderfully. I know what it means to the child and mom to be able to sit with the other kids and eat everything they're eating without worry.

DS had feast day at his mother's day out program. Everyone brought a snack in and they mixed it in a bowl and shared it. I brought a separate mix of things DS could eat (goldfish, animal crackers). He was fine with it, but the mixing thing looked like fun and I wish he couldn've participated.

LarsMal
11-20-2008, 05:44 PM
DS had feast day at his mother's day out program. Everyone brought a snack in and they mixed it in a bowl and shared it. I brought a separate mix of things DS could eat (goldfish, animal crackers). He was fine with it, but the mixing thing looked like fun and I wish he couldn've participated.

DS's school did this, too. The 3yo classes (Pilgrims) made a Friendship Mix for the 4yo classes (Native Americans). Again, the director sent home what they normally do. I sent back a list of the yays and nays, as well as other options. I figured I'd just make DS his own and it would at least be similar. Instead, she used my list- again- and told the parents they *had* to buy the brands on the list. Seriously, I want to kidnap these women and take them with me when we move! :love5:

FYI:
They were all egg/dairy/peanut/nut free:

They used Fritos (to symbolize the corn harvested)
Rold Gold pretzels (to symbolize arms folded in thanks and prayer)
Sunmaid raisins and Ocean Spray craisins (symbolize foods harvested and canned or frozen for future use)
mini Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows (symbolize teh snow that fell the first winter)

The kids had a blast and DS ate it all up. I think I might make it just as a fun snack mix to keep around the house!

DrSally
11-20-2008, 10:17 PM
That teacher is unbelievable! The teachers at DS's school didn't offer to send out a list. I wouldn't want to ask them to do something like that, but I sure would love it if they'd offered.