PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Bfing and lung capacity

DrSally
11-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Interesting article on bfing and increased lung capacity of infants. Apparently the extra effort in sucking may be "exercise" for infants that keeps their lungs fit!

http://www.babycenter.com/204_breastfeeding-may-build-babies-lung-capacity_10302607.bc?scid=momsbaby_20081118:2&pe=d5bDqp

JTsMom
11-20-2008, 08:16 AM
That is interesting. This paragraph is throwing me though.

"Ogbuano and his team note that the pressure nursing babies exert on the breast before milk begins to flow is triple that required when drinking from a bottle; nursing sessions also last 8 minutes, on average, compared with 4.4 minutes for bottle feeding. Nursing four to eight times a day "may also help to prepare these children for a lifetime of physical fitness," Ogbuano said in an interview."

8 minutes?!?!? 4-8 times a day? Clearly, they never met DS! :ROTFLMAO: I'd say more like 20 mins, 8+ times a day at that age!

Melaine
11-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Hmmm....bfing for 2 years didn't keep me from having asthma....but sure....

JoyNChrist
11-20-2008, 11:56 AM
8 minutes?!?!? 4-8 times a day? Clearly, they never met DS! :ROTFLMAO: I'd say more like 20 mins, 8+ times a day at that age!

No kidding! Next time I'm requesting an express-nurser from my OB!

Interesting article, though...

Sugar Magnolia
11-20-2008, 12:09 PM

Ds2 nursed for 2 over years and has asthma.
Dh nursed for 1 year (long for then) and has asthma.

So..yeah..

o_mom
11-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Ds2 nursed for 2 over years and has asthma.
Dh nursed for 1 year (long for then) and has asthma.

So..yeah..

So, yeah, what?

anamika
11-20-2008, 01:18 PM
"Karmaus noted that in Canada and Europe, generous maternity leave policies make it possible for women to directly breastfeed their infants for several months if they choose, while in the U.S. many women must return to work after only a few weeks. Giving U.S. women longer maternity leave might pay for itself in terms of health benefits, such as reductions in obesity, he suggested, calling for an economic analysis to address the issue."

Yes, that!
Yeah DD nursed for 13 months and has horrible asthma!

lorinick
11-20-2008, 01:34 PM

:yeahthat: Mine nursed one year and has asthma also.

hez
11-20-2008, 02:22 PM
No kidding! Next time I'm requesting an express-nurser from my OB!

Interesting article, though...

Mine delivered :) DD takes half the time DS did, or less-- there is hope!