PDA

View Full Version : Need a new computer

Piglet
11-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Okay, I don't NEED a new computer, but we are currently using a hand-me-down laptop at home. It is 9 years old and on its last legs. With Black Friday looming, I want to get a new computer this year. So far, we are looking at the $1000-$1300 range and would like an all-in-one with a 20" screen or thereabouts. We are not picky Mac (closer to $1300) or PC (closer to $1000), but want to get a good computer that will last for many more years of limited use (kids' homework, internet and the occasional spreadsheet that I do from home). I am totally undecided if the Mac is worth the extra cost - I have been a PC user my whole life but DH is from a Mac home (it's a mixed marriage). For our needs, the Mac might be overkill or we could get more bang for our buck with a PC (i.e. touch screen, larger monitor, etc.).

Can you please weigh in on the choices?

Thanks,

shawnandangel
11-20-2008, 06:57 PM
My only advice is what NOT to get. I and two other family members bought DELL computers and all three of us have had to replace the motherboard and other various componets. Some within the warrenty and some past it. My BIL just spent a month on the phone with DELL before they would send out a service agent. His computer was randomly turning itself on and off. My sister's computer also did the same thing.

For the price range you are in, I would look at having a computer built for you for your specific needs. My husband had one built for him for $1400, but I'm sure yours would be much less because he plays games on his computer and got all the fancy game card stuff.

I really like Mac computers but sometimes software is only made for PC's. That is why I go for the PC because I don't like having limited choices :)

writermama
11-20-2008, 07:03 PM
I switched from PC to Mac 6 years ago and have never regretted it. Ease of use, increased security, and it just works.

And now with Bootcamp and other software, if you have a windows only program, you can still run it on your Mac.

I just convinced my PC-using DH (formerly a loyal Dell customer) to make the switch and he is thrilled.

greatcanuk
11-20-2008, 07:14 PM
We got a Dell laptop with XP right before Windows Vista came out, but with the option to upgrade when it did come out. Something went wrong with the operating system, and I spent hours and hours and hours with tech support (always a different person), using the self-repair, then re-formatting with the supplied disks, and finally installing a new drive (good thing we were still within the warranty).

Oh, we had also tried installing Vista since we thought that might make the problem moot, and then taking it off because all of our peripherals were too old and not not compatible. Now, I'm not saying anything bad about Dell--some of the techs were amazingly knowledgeable and helpful, and some not so much--and I know Vista probably wasn't stabilized then, and I should have known about the issue with the older peripherals, but...I swore that the next computer I bought would be a Mac.

I've also had a whole other issue with getting spyware off, and I'm not the kind of person who is clueless about that stuff. Also I've found Firefox to be so much better than IE--I just want to stay away from Windows. Just my experience.

Camille

ThreeofUs
11-20-2008, 07:35 PM
We were PC users, too, but have switched to Macs. The quality of the machine is just a lot higher, and we find there is no problem navigating back and forth between platforms.

LD92599
11-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Mac. Mac. Mac. Get a refurb, save a lot of $$ and then get the maximum amount of ram you can elsewhere (i just got 4 Gb for approx $45). Also get applecare on ebay, just paid $95 there vs $169 through apple.

Laura

elektra
11-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Love our Mac too. And from what you described as your needs, I think you would really be happy.

cvanbrunt
11-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Mac. They work. And Apple tests their operating systems before unleashing them on the world! :)

Tondi G
11-20-2008, 08:53 PM
We made the switch to Mac last year and have been VERY happy with ours!

irie i
11-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Our first family computer was a Mac but since then we've always had PCs. I have a Dell Laptop and a Compaq desktop (which I can't use 'cuz I left it in Texas when I moved to Los Angeles). The Compaq is a piece of poo and *cross fingers* I have ZERO issues with my Dell.

My husband had a Mac laptop (better for his business...music) and a Mac desktop and never has problems with them.

You might have limited choices with Mac but everything that is made for it actually works...no crashing! When I purchase a new computer/laptop for myself its going to be a Mac for sure...they last longer and give much less headaches. It just takes a little getting used to when switching from PC to Mac...but totally worth it IMHO.

If you really don't plan using your PC for anything more than web surfing and the occassional spreadsheet, you probably won't have much use for a bigger monitor and touch screen anyway. :)

marit
11-20-2008, 09:54 PM
mac mac mac mac!!!

We just switched 2 months ago and there is no going back.

We bought a strong nice PC 2 years ago and felt that it turned into a piece of junk. We were reluctant to pay the huge price difference for mac until my husband visited a friend who bought a mac 2 years ago (when we bought our last PC). The friend told my husband he didn't have to reboot even once during the pat 2 years... We were sold. I feel it is more expensive but will last longer because of less viruses and an operation system that doesn't fail you.

I don't think I know anyone that switched back.