PDA

View Full Version : Gift Idea?

mytwoboys
11-21-2008, 09:15 AM
My parents want to buy the boys a nice Christmas gift. They would like to spend about $150 on each boy. I don't know what to tell them to get! My younger DS really likes cars and trains. We have a nice car garage already and lots and lots of cars/trains, etc. My older DS loves crafts, projects, reading and his leapster. We already bought him TAG Reader with a few books and the VSmile motion for Christmas. We have too many craft supplies already. I don't mind buying them both one big gift as long as it's age appropriate for both of them (2.5 & 4.5). I also don't mind them buying several smaller items. I was thinking of starting to buy playmobile with this money, but DS#1 has never played with it and I'm not sure that he'll like it. I don't like all of the small pieces! And DS#2 I think is still too young for that. We have a bike, scooter, and trike. May be magnatiles? And what else?

Any ideas?
TIA

BeachBum
11-22-2008, 10:24 AM
My DS is just 3 and loves the playmobile set he got for his birthday. I think it really just depends on the kid. As for a sharing toy, I think that would be a pretty good bet.

A Glider Bike has been one of the biggest hits ever at our house. DS also has a trike that he takes almost no interest in. One of the neighborhood boys who is 4+ loves to ride DS's glider too. It may be a shorter lived toy for the older one (who I assume will ride a "real" bike soon. But it might also help him gain confidence and transition.

Automoblox could be a fun toy for them to share. They are on sale at babycenter right now, and you need several to maximize play value. You could easily spend $100 here.

Another big gift I've been eyeing is a quadrilla marble run.

Other outside sports toys? My DS loves playing t-ball and soccer. How about a wooden fort/ playhouse of some sort? Tent?

Unit blocks? Geotrax?

HA.HA. I wish we had generous grandparents like that! Obviously I'd have no trouble at all spending that money :) Have fun. :D

mytwoboys
11-22-2008, 04:03 PM
LOL I'm certainly not complaining! They buy everything for the boys and then some. We don't have a glider bike, so I'll look into that. We have automoblox cars and my older DS doesn't play with them, although the younger one does. We have unit Blocks and several of the geotrax sets (all gifts from my parents).

I too am looking at the marble runs. We have a plastic set and it doesn't get much play. I'm wondering if the quadrilla one will.

Thanks.

Oh - I'm also thinking a plasma car.

mommabear
11-22-2008, 04:19 PM
What about a play kitchen?

Maybe they could get a smaller gift and then start the boys a savings acct.

hillview
11-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Play kitchen; glider bike; train table; furniture; outside equiptment; savings for college etc; membership to museum etc; special event (tickets to sporting event or show).
/hillary

CiderLogan
11-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Love these ideas! Another idea: musical instruments (a real kid-sized acoustic guitar, a nice keyboard, etc.).

brittone2
11-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Not much new to add. My thoughts have mostly been already mentioned by PPs.

I'd look at:
Playmobil/Lego. If younger DS is into cars, maybe a playmobil gas station to grow into? We found one for DS for about 10-15 bucks. It is an add on set, so it comes in a bag vs. box, but is pretty inexpensive. DS is almost 5 and loves vehicles, so I'm hoping this will be a hit with him.
Magnatiles
maybe Snap Circuits Jr. for the older DC
Plasmacar
Balance bikes (ITA w/ PPs...definitely one of our best purchases ever! It would be fun to video the kids and send to the grandparents, etc. :) )
Race car track?
nice maple unit blocks
membership to museum, zoo, aquarium, etc.

If I need inspiration, I look at sites like Nova Natural, For Small Hands (kid sized rake, shovel, broom, wheelbarrow have gotten a lot of use here), and local independent toy stores...then I end up with *too many* ideas LOL.