PDA

View Full Version : Electric Train Set for Around the X-Mas Tree

annasmom
11-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I am thinking about getting a train for around our Christmas tree. Does anyone have any recommendations?

TIA!!

rlu
11-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Not electric - we actually use our son's brio wooden train set. Then we don't worry about him "getting into it".

We have an electric one - the 50th anniversary one from Disney (it's gold I believe) for when DS is bigger.

bnme
11-22-2008, 07:58 AM
We have o-gauge Lionel trains and my boys love them. My DH's family always had them and we are starting to collect for the boys. I think a basic set runs around $200+ and includes most stuff to get going. The new easy track they have can lay right on the floor (ours is on a board).

They have Christmas sets, Disney, Polar Express, Thomas, etc.

hellokitty
11-22-2008, 08:08 AM
If you have little ones that can't be trusted, you might want to wait. I say that as a mom of two very, very enthusiastic train freaks, who CANNOT keep their hands off of the electric trains, even when they are repeatedly told not to mess with it. We have a limited edition LL Bean Lionel set that we got before we had kids. It's really nice, BUT we know the kids would probably break it, so we haven't pulled it out yet. I believe I got it for about $250 almost 10 yrs ago. Lionel sets will run you at least $200 if not more. We also have the Polar Express set that was a special at Target last yr. My kids love it, but they are still kind of rough with it and have to CONSTANTLY be reminded not to take them off the tracks or knock them off the tracks. I think that set was under $150 and it is a larger guage set than our Lionel one. We also have the wooden Thomas Christmas tree set (see, I told you my kids are train freaks, and btw we have geotraxx too...) and that one is perfect for little ones. The engine has a battery, so it will run on it's own and it has an octagonal looking wooden track that is perfect to go around a tree. If a child is rough with it, it will be ok.

annasmom
11-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks!!

I think I will look into the Thomas set for now. No way my kids can be trusted with a $200 set that can break!!

SnuggleBuggles
11-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Geotrax. Safe, sturdy, inexpensive, fun and lots of neat configurations can be made. :) The remote control operation makes it a big hit for the kids (and grownups). Trains can be pushed along too.

Beth

MamaKath
11-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I am thinking about getting a train for around our Christmas tree. Does anyone have any recommendations?

TIA!!

What is your budget?

You can go expensive (Lionel) or much cheaper. If you do expensive I would make a platform for the tree and put the trains on that vs. directly on the floor. My dad then attaches garden fence (like 8 inches high) around that to keep little fingers off tha trains. ;) He also sets up plastic ones when the kids come over for them to actually play with.

We do cheaper trains at home (when we decorate for Christmas which is not every year). We still do a platform. We have a couple plastic train sets (they may actually be battery ones) which we have gotten over the years. One is a Santa Train set that was about $30. It is great for Christmas, is not so collectible that it is a problem if they touch, and looks very classic. I know I have seen similar ones at the big box stores and a few pharmacies near us.

HTH~