PDA

View Full Version : Baby with GERD sleep training - how?

hgwsb
11-21-2008, 04:10 PM
My DD is actually a pretty good sleeper apart from naptime. She's just hit the 3 month mark and I"m trying to help her get on a nap schedule. Problem is she has GERD (acid reflux) and if she cries for more than 5 min her reflux acts up and the problem becomes physical pain. Are there any suggestions for helping her get naps in light of this problem? It is mentioned briefly in Baby 411 but I was hoping for a little more help...Thanks!

HIU8
11-21-2008, 04:20 PM
With DS we had him nap in the bouncy seat b/c otherwise he was in horrible pain and occassionally threw up while napping. Usually we put let him sit up in the bouncy or something for 30 minutes after a feeding. Then and only then would we put him down in his crib. We couldn't really sleep train him properly until he was 11 months when the GERD finally started to subside. It was a long hard road.

Melaine
11-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Our girls slept in car seats or bouncy seats off and on for awhile....a looooong while. They slept a lot better that way although it wasn't ideal, clearly. To be honest, I think that age is a little young for real sleeping training.

hgwsb
11-21-2008, 04:25 PM
We actually have a foam wedge that she sleeps in (had to get it from Children's Hospital) so she's sitting up nearly 24-7 (either holding or in bouncy - only recline to do tummy time) so we're good on that...but you're saying that even with the upright position your DS didn't nap? Sigh.....

HIU8
11-21-2008, 04:44 PM
DS did nap while sitting up b/c that is all we could do. It was more ideal to let him sit up for 30 minutes and then put him down (per our ped gastro), but it didn't always work. He didn't nap in his room when in the bouncy b/c I watched him to make sure he didn't accidentally attempt to roll over or flip out of the seat.

ThreeofUs
11-21-2008, 06:25 PM
We and babysitters provided the 60 degree angle and tummy-down orientation our DS1 needed to sleep. Even medicated GERD can make it impossible for a baby to sleep in "normal" orientations.

hgwsb
11-21-2008, 06:38 PM
yes and she's on the meds...the wedge really helps her at night (6-8 hrs at 3mo - yay!) but I can tell she's tired during the day and just can't sleep for more than 30min even though I know she wants more...