PDA

View Full Version : Wood Food or high quality plastic food

mommabear
11-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I need to order some and can't decide which to get.

MamaMolly
11-22-2008, 12:31 AM
I had the same issue and started to make felt food. I Googled Felt Play Food for ideas, and peeked at PBK for inspiration. So far I've made pancakes, eggs, bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, swiss cheese and bread. I know it isn't what you asked, but I thought I'd share my solution to the same problem.

citymama
11-22-2008, 03:41 AM
I need to order some and can't decide which to get.

I don't think it makes that much of a difference. We're wood toy people, but have some high quality plastic play food as well as wood, and both are great.

mommabear
11-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I had the same issue and started to make felt food. I Googled Felt Play Food for ideas, and peeked at PBK for inspiration. So far I've made pancakes, eggs, bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, swiss cheese and bread. I know it isn't what you asked, but I thought I'd share my solution to the same problem.
I may try this
Is it hard?

fortato
11-22-2008, 11:51 AM
It's not hard.... but I'm super lazy, so I just order mine from Etsy.

That's a good place to look for ideas and inspiration!

mommabear
11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Do you have any patterns to share? Pics of your food?
thanks

MamaMolly
11-22-2008, 11:54 PM
No photos yet, but I was thinking about it ;)

It isn't hard at all. I use a blanket stitch which is where you just push the needle in the back, out the front, and catch the thread before pushing it through the back again. I also use just a running stitch which is the simplest thing ever, in and out. I'm sewing everything by hand with 2 strands of embroidery floss. Mostly this was an economic decision. I would have had to spend a lot of $$$ on colorful thread to use my sewing machine. A packet of the floss in a ton of colors was $6 at Michael's.

Also having looked at some of the food on Esty I think some of the machine stitched stuff isn't as sweet as the handstitched.

I started with the eggs. I folded white felt in half, cut it, and then cut those into thirds so I had six rectangles. Layer 2 rectangles and cut out a blobby egg shape. Then cut a circle of yellow about the size of a 50 cent piece which I stitched onto one half of the egg and stuffed it with a bit of poly-fill to make it lump up. Then just blanket stitch the top and bottom half of the egg together.

I looked on esty for ideas, and saw they sell patterns there. I'm just super strapped this season so I thought I'd give it a shot with out a pattern. After all, the more homemade they are the cuter they are, right?

My plan is to make a full breakfast, lunch and dinner for DD, DNiece and whoever we get on our playgroup gift exchange.