PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using cubbies for storage?

irie i
11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Although we hope to move soon we don't know for certain that we will find something that is right for us. The nursery does NOT have a closet. I like the idea of using cubbies for storage. That way, we will have something that is easy to move...also, it can always be used later for toy/book storage. Something like:

http://www.target.com/dp/B0002I269S/sr=1-17/qid=1227396724/ref=sr_1_17/189-8025027-4792029?ie=UTF8&pricerange=&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Acubby&page=1

I found that the Koala Baby Crates and Bins at Babies R Us are Buy 1 get 1 half off! KILLER! Only problem is, the stupid Target site doesn't even give the dimensions of the cubbies, so I don't know if the crates/bins will even fit! GRRR!

I saw something similar at Wal Mart...a 9 cubby unit and they recommend some baskets which are also sold there. Trouble with THAT is that the baskets are fugly. :(

Does anyone use cubbies? My sister doesn't think its a good idea and that we should invest in a chest of drawers...but I just really like the way these look and they are WAY more affordable. I also like that I can paint the entire unit in a coordinating color to our nursery (I HATE white) and not worry about ruining wood or trying to match the wood to our crib (espresso). She also was concerned about the baby grabbing the baskets and dumping them on himself...but isn't it worse for him to smash his fingers or pull down a wood drawer? I realize that there are baby proof things we can use to secure the drawers...but just in case...

Any suggestions/experiences?

THANKS!

WatchingThemGrow
11-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Those likely aren't a paintable surface if they are similar to the other modular stuff I've gotten at Target.

irie i
11-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Ok...well that's not that big a deal...I can upholster it.

Tondi G
11-22-2008, 09:11 PM
You could also look at the Expedit shelves from IKEA. They have White, a natural wood color and a Brown/black

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80071319

Lot of people on the boards have loved these for playrooms and such. There is no reason your couldn't use them for clothing too if you like it! Oh and Bed Bath and Beyond sells the canvas bins that fit in the cubbies as well! Some people liked these baskets with the Expedit shelves too http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90028066

jerigirl
11-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Do you have an IKEA near you? We have the Expedit shelves in our study/playroom. We have books and puzzles and toys on the shelves and art supplies in a few bins. We have been very happy with them. There are many bin options as well. I don't think the shelves are paintable but they come in a few colors. There are tons of pictures on Flickr showing what people have done with them. They are pretty versatile, you can have them upright to be tall units or turn them on their side to be wide, lower units to fit what your space allows.

ETA: Tondi you posted while while I was typing!!!!

irie i
11-23-2008, 12:02 AM
SWEET! I hadn't seen those at Ikea...I never looked at "Bookshelves" online...but I have seen those in the store (Yes of course we have Ikea in Los Angeles - yay!!). I'm not lovin the baskets at all...and the dang site doesn't have the dimensions of each cubby, either...but those look great!! I will go check them out tomorrow! Tonight, I will check the pics on Flickr and see if anyone is using any baskets I recognize.

THANKS!!!

jerigirl
11-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Each square on the Expedit shelves are 13.25 in wide by 13.25 in tall and 15.25 in deep. We have these Kassett bins http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60115480
I don't think they are right for baby clothes etc. but the dimensions are listed here.

I think the fabric collapsable cubes from target fit the expedits as well. Search this board for threads on the expedit shelves. There were a few conversations on them in the past with recs for bins given.

ETA: to correct dimensions

irie i
11-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Each square on the Expedit shelves are 13.25 in wide by 13.25 in tall and 15.25 in deep. We have these Kassett bins http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60115480
I don't think they are right for baby clothes etc. but the dimensions are listed here.

I think the fabric collapsable cubes from target fit the expedits as well. Search this board for threads on the expedit shelves. There were a few conversations on them in the past with recs for bins given.

ETA: to correct dimensions

You are awesome!! THANKS! I guess I'm a bin bitch because I don't like these either. But knowing they are that large I know the ones at Babies R Us fit. :bighand:

jerigirl
11-23-2008, 12:41 AM
One other idea:
Have you checked out the Trofast system at IKEA. That system uses plastic tubs or wooden shelf inserts. We have one of the tall units and two of the shorter units next to each other on one wall of DS's room.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99819558
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19819557
We have various sizes of the tubs and a few of the shelf inserts. We put blocks in the big tubs (makes it easy to bring the bin to the room he wants to play in) and books on the shelves. I could see using the shallow bins for clothes. Might be something to look at while you are at IKEA next.

irie i
11-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Now those I did see...I like the expedits much better! Thank you!!

jerigirl
11-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Now those I did see...I like the expedits much better! Thank you!!

I agree! We got those first and then about a yr later got the Expedit units. Looking back I wish we would have put some of the Expedits in DS's room too.

irie i
11-23-2008, 01:36 AM
I agree! We got those first and then about a yr later got the Expedit units. Looking back I wish we would have put some of the Expedits in DS's room too.

Seriously those Expedits are A M A Z I N G! I am going to pick up a few they will do WONDERS for our records...we have THOUSANDS of them in crates...if we use these we can make our studio look so much better!!

KBecks
11-23-2008, 08:48 AM
I love the cubby shelves for book storage. We have a few of the little fabric drawers and I think they would be OK for newborn clothes storage. Now with a 2 and 4 year old the drawers (that have some minimal toys and playsilks) get pulled out and dumped and taken around the house.

It sounds like an OK short term solution but I wouldn't like it for the long haul.

clb
11-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Does anyone use cubbies? My sister doesn't think its a good idea and that we should invest in a chest of drawers...but I just really like the way these look and they are WAY more affordable. I also like that I can paint the entire unit in a coordinating color to our nursery (I HATE white) and not worry about ruining wood or trying to match the wood to our crib (espresso). She also was concerned about the baby grabbing the baskets and dumping them on himself...but isn't it worse for him to smash his fingers or pull down a wood drawer? I realize that there are baby proof things we can use to secure the drawers...but just in case...

Any suggestions/experiences?

THANKS!

I use the target fabric cubes on the open shelves of DS's changing table. Around 11mo's he started to pull them out and takes stuff out. He especially likes to take out the towels and wash cloths and spread them around. You are right... he also opens up the dresser drawers and tries to get in there too.
Honestly, I think if you like it go with it. I think it is just something they need to learn not to do. My niece used to do this too, but learned not to. I am working on it. Now he only takes two washcloths out. haha
You just might need to do some extra picking up for a while.

army_mom
11-23-2008, 12:46 PM
FWIW. In case you don't go with the IKEA ones.

We have the cubbies from Target. The squares are 11.25 inches and the fabric drawers are 11" square. Target has cute colors on the drawers.
The cubby looks nice but is pretty cheaply constructed particle board-for $40we don't expect it to last forever. Just until we get big girl furniture in a few years. (Or move cross country again!) Ours is in espresso. The IKEA ones are probably a lot stronger based on other IKEA furniture I have seen.

And you probaby can paint them if you want. They have a lot of amazing paint out there that sticks to any surface.

clb
11-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Thought of something else....
The bru fabric cube that I have has no shape to it. It really wouldn't be good for clothes. For comparison, the target ones have a piece that fits on the bottom so the cube retains the shape even when empty.

WatchingThemGrow
11-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Do all of you that use these use them for toys or for clothes? I'm just thinking that regular drawers would be so much easier for clothing - fine for toys/knick/knacks, but challenging for clothing...

irie i
11-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Do all of you that use these use them for toys or for clothes? I'm just thinking that regular drawers would be so much easier for clothing - fine for toys/knick/knacks, but challenging for clothing...

If you look on flickr.com there are seriously TONS of pictures of people using them for ALL SORTS of things. (My favorite ones to look at are the ones that people put their Blythe/Pullip dolls in...they make each cubby look like a little room for the doll so the whole unit looks like a dollhouse!!) Looks OK for clothes if they are rolled up or folded nicely. With baby clothes it looks like rolling is the way to go. That is, if you don't use baskets.

Sugar Magnolia
11-24-2008, 12:20 PM
We have the Target ones for our room!

We use them for our pants and sweaters. And honestly for the price I think they work and look fine. I did not put the backing on because I just didn't like how it looked. Our room is a loft and shaped weird, so regular furniture just doesn't work well. Plus dh is a grad student and we are not staying her forever and I don't want to have to move a ton of stuff!

clb
11-24-2008, 01:54 PM
I use them for linens, diapers and toys. I know that my sister did use them for baby clothes.
My 1yr old DS has a dresser. Since I usually put DS's clothes away in outfits, I think I would be okay with using them for clothes now if needed.

ETA: Referring to fabric storage drawers when I wrote them.

thewebbie
11-25-2008, 03:07 AM
I personally avoid MDF and particle board in my baby's room, unless they are a few years old. You might want to do Google search on formaldehyde, particle board, MDF. So, my crib is completely hardwood, and the other nursery furnitures contain just a small amount of particle board and are hand me down stuff when they do. It seems that many manufacturers use toxic glues that offgasses. I read that the furnitures offgass heavily in the first year.
For that reason, I avoid redoing our closet.

You might want to confirm this yourself, do not count on me to be accurate :)

Btw, Land of Nod has a very cute tent for storage. Not sure how practical or safe it is :)

DrSally
11-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Seriously those Expedits are A M A Z I N G! I am going to pick up a few they will do WONDERS for our records...we have THOUSANDS of them in crates...if we use these we can make our studio look so much better!!

Excellent idea! I could totally see these being used for records.